PDA

View Full Version : what units (level 21) mage

nakago
12-19-2009, 02:39 PM
played to level 21 as mage, so far, most enemy are "strong" cleared most of verona, except enemy heros , and half of montero.

i have jimmy kraud, as well as the cheiftan belt, and the dagger which all give +5 to seadogs, priates, robbers maraders. so that is +10 and +1 speed and morale. those are the units I have been using.

however now they are facing higher level enemys (pirates robbers etc) they died pretty quickly, so what units are good to use for me?

i have about 5K leadership. 2 atk, 14 def, and 24 int.

Elwin
12-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Well. As i always state perfect army needs tank, summoner and some ranged. There are tons od possible setups. Paladins and royal grifinfs are godly. Also if u find demonologists they are awesome as well

Sandsai
12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I like to go with a tank and arch-mages if you can find them. I use the mages to trap high level targets (my trap medal is maxed) and also to shield. Find a giant, red/green dragon, or even a troll and slap them with shield, stone armor, and target. After that nuke away with your other troops and spells. You should be able to secure one of the aforementioned troops on verona, montero, or one of the orc islands. I suffer minimal losses with this kind of set up. I just find that pallies have weak HP in comparison to other tanking choices. As a mage you might also wanna dump jimmy and go for the elf sitting in the hut by the verona/montero bridge. Can't go wrong with a free scroll every 50 battles, mana refill every 5 battles, and 4 intellect as a mage.

aj2000
12-19-2009, 06:40 PM
A single tank stack with a bunch of support / range / summoner seems to work best for me as mage. As stated the possibilities are endless. You can pick a main tank from below (or whatever works for you) and the rest from the support / backup / range list and won't go wrong. If you have certain items that work with some of them that would be even better (red dragon amulet I hear is great, and my high druid staff means I use royal griffin as my main tank for 50% attack bonus).

Main Tank:
-Royal griffin (decent tank, fast flyer, summons good stack of tank! great!)
-Executioner (great tank, huge killing potential against melee heavy opponent, though bad morale mix with humans ...etc)
-Demon (Great tank, same as exec, with a bonus demon summon support at the expense of less killing power)
-etc...

Support / backup tank:
-Paladin (backup tank, too slow otherwise but rock hard resilient, with 2nd wind as support bonus and an excellent AoE ress.)
-Green dragon (backup tank, raider, support with mana drain, great for mage)
-Royal snake (Pure raider, great poison ability, worst case backup tank)
-etc...

Range / backup tank:
-Red dragon (great range breath ability! and decent fast raider tank.)
...etc

Support / Range:
-Demonologist (good range, summons and a drain life ress charge, great!)
-Druid (AoE great rage booster, summons and control animal for sacrifice, awesome unit vs animal to build up free army easily. highly recommended vs army with animals in it. high priority target for enemy AI)
-Archmage (okay range, useful telekinesis support for trap tripping, godly magic shield for super tanking! highly recommended to support main tank. Also shocks units)
-Inquisitor (Weak overall, good in singles filling in empty army slot just to boost rage, blessing tank and early ress)
-Evil beholder (good range combined with disabling power, hynotizes)
-...etc

Support:
-Dryad (summoner, disabler, pinch raider, even better with dryad boosting artifact like chastity ring)

Newbie1234
12-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Paladins make the game much easier so they're generally a must-have due to their high durability and AoE resurrection. During boss fights, constantly casting Paladin phantoms is pretty much the easiest way to win with minimal losses.

Against normal stacks, phantomed Royal Griffins are amazing because their Heavenly Guard summons stay even after Phantom wears off. Infinite retaliation on them means you can always just charge them right into the enemy like a ticking time bomb.

Once you have access to them, Red Dragons make excellent phantom targets as well, as they'll kill generic hoards much faster than the Royal Griffins. Like any Level 5 unit, you'll probably need Inquisitors for resurrecting them though.

Giants are decent. And are particularly useful in fights where there are lots of enemies and also in boss fights, where their stomp does good free damage to everyone on the screen. The stomp not damaging flying units is a pain though so they won't always be a useful unit in every fight.

Orc Shamans are a great support unit. Axe Dance does very reliable damage, making it particularly useful against bosses and stacks with high damage resistances such as Brontors and Cyclops. Heal Totems are awesome for keeping your units healed, and the damage totem is a semi-useful way to waste the turns of one of the enemy stacks since they very often engage them. So for example if you're scared if a high-stack Imp flaming your guys, throwing a Damage Totem right in front of his face can often fool the AI into attacking it for that one turn.

Royal Snakes are primarily for their no retaliation and high initiative (with the +initiative boots). Always a decent unit to have around such that you always get the first shot off.