PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions for the Masters

Alexander
12-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi folks,

I played KB: The Legend much earlier this year, but was frustrated by the fact that I was getting C++ Library errors that were shutting it down intermittently. The only way to play (without manually disabling services till I found the conflict) was to start up windows without almost all the services and play without sound. To cut the story short, I ended up abandoning my Paladin soon after Karador.; the community back then also didn't seem as awesome as it is now (and a word of sincere thanks to the master-posters here who help us newbs out!).

I'm playing again now - I've abandoned my Paladin and have started again with the Mage. I'm keen to finish it at least once, with the items and the decisions I've made and perhaps after I've finished it, I will return to have another crack - for a 'perfect' run as it were. Before I do that, and before I commit to playing though, there are a few questions I need to ask. Generally, as per normal forum etiquette, I tried to look most of these up, but it's pretty hard to find most of it, since most of it seems to be pretty obvious (at least to everyone but me ><)

* What is a 'no casualty' run? I 'think' it means not ending a battle having lost any creatures, but Bucazaurus posted a screenshot at game end showing 'enemy casualties: 30' - so now I'm no longer certain I've got the idea right.

*What is the optimum order in which to upgrade my talents as a mage? So far I've only got the one point in scouting, the rest are for 3/3 cheap spell upgrades, the two starting talents, and 1/3 in each of the schools of magic for copying spells. I'm short of Magic runes atm, but about 15-25 of the other two. Too scared to use them in case I make a stupid blunder.

I feel kinda wimpy for asking this last one: but you masters are playing on Impossible - whereas I am merely playing on normal. As such, it seems that the 1 stack of creatures + combination of tricks etc is pretty much par for the course as a mage. On a first proper playthrough, is that the 'proper' mage strategy, or is it trying to get the highest score. At the moment, I'm doing quite well with my army of Ancient Bears, Polar Bears, Horsemen, Knights and Priests. I nuke the enemy, and let my priests heal (sometimes I cast healing too) and with this I rarely lose any creatures. Is this an ok strategy for the rest of the game, ie using armies, or do I 'need' to adopt the 1 army, glot armor + armageddon etc etc?

I have many more questions, but I think I will come to those when the time comes. In the meantime, thank you to anyone who reads this, and if you can help, I would really appreciate it!

Alex out

Alexander
12-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Incidently, before I forget, my stats currently are:

Level 7, Mage,
Atk 3, Def 9, Int 7 (int is low but items are not being generous at present)
Rage 18, Mana 53
Leadership, 1742

I have the Banner of True Faith (and my pally has the mage one - oh cruel irony :P)

Zerock and Sleem at level 2. Cleared out most of Darion except the swamp which I've not been to at all. Got a hero, some cyclops, that mage tower, the ghosts in the treasure room etc which are too strong for me, but otherwise I'm clearing things out without too much hassle.

Thanks again!

Elwin
12-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes no casualty is no loss through whole game. But in legend to make it you need spend hel a lot of 100 turns or so to ress all casualties ... its more boring than a challenge in my opinion ...

there is no optimum order at all .. for a mage i wuold concantrate on chaos and distortion magic and higher magic as first.
You do not have to use one army trick. There are many other ways. Tank unit with stoneskin and target on it (good with archmages maigc shield also) will do the job in most of fights. Your army is not bad for begining but lately it will be too weak