PDA

View Full Version : I ♥ necromancers

Metathron
12-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I've just found 7 of them (which is exactly as much as I can take atm) in the chapel on Scarlet Wind, and am finding them extremely useful, what with their area attack that curses enemies, magic shackles that will render those pesky assassins useless for a couple of rounds and, most importantly, the 3x raise dead that's a marvellous distraction both for blocking the way and for sucking up retaliations.

Believe it or not, I've never used necromancers before, and that includes The Legend. *gasp* :eek:

What is your experience with this unit, and are there any units you've sort of discriminated against but was pleasantly surprised once you gave them a try?

DGDobrev
12-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I personally like them as well. They are kind of hard to keep alive in the early stages of the game (where you need no-loss victories and the heroes drop flaming arrows on them regularly), but in any case, are extraordinary useful. Their mass attack generates a ton of rage and they can summon meatshields. They hurt a little the morale of all human troops, but it is manageable.

Other units I sorely underestimated were:
Druids - meatshields, mass attack = ton of rage, animal control, decent HP
Black Knights - battle winners with Splinter of Darkness, even if you play with 1 stack
Choshas - meatshields every 2nd turn that hit everywhere on the battlefield
Gorguanas - 2x damage is simply godly
Both types of imps - they are great support against slow units (speed 2 or less). Their strike and return ability is great, as it gives you a free hit without having to use target all the time, which is the main problem for an arny with fairies.

Akimbo
12-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Believe it or not, I've never used necromancers before, and that includes The Legend. *gasp* :eek:

wow lol.

I've always liked necromancers. As mentioned, AoE attack, Necro Call (equivalent to it anyway) and Magic Shackles. The last one is particularl evil :P The curse from their normal attack is a pretty good debuff as well.

Zechnophobe
12-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Plague? An army of Undead absolutely owns with plague. Penalizes the enemy, increases your morale. Easily one of the best unit based buffs out there.

Metathron
12-13-2009, 07:38 PM
The curse from their normal attack is a pretty good debuff as well.

Especially now in AP where debuffs decrease morale by default.

So curse looks like this:

-1: negative effect
-1: oh whaddya know that negative effect happens to decrease morale.

:mrgreen:

travelingoz
12-14-2009, 03:46 AM
One of my favorite units in the game too. Especially when i'm playing Mage!
Actually, especially early game to mid game when i'm doing a lot of sacrificing and resurrecting, I find Necromancers super useful! Just max out Holy Anger on your Mind tree, surround an enemy with undead units and blast away for a minimum 12-16 rage and 9 mana for each hit! :grin:

Metathron
12-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Ooh, sacrifice, I forgot about using it on all those expendable units!

travelingoz
12-14-2009, 11:57 AM
They nurfed the sacrifice. Can't sacrifice the units you raise.:(

Urbz
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
I've used Necromancers alot too in my undead only game back on TL, amazing unit indeed! :grin: