PDA

View Full Version : What exactly counts as Archers?

Akimbo
12-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I always feel unsure as to what exactly the game counts as "Archers". I don't think it actually counts every unit that has "Archer" in its description.

Obvious ones that are included:

Hunters
Elf Archers
Undead Archers

What about the others? I've had so many items this game which all add a bonus to Archers, that I don't actually have the item slots for them all :)

I just found a second elven crown along with unlimited hunters, so I've now included the Elven archers (Hunters and the standard) in my force since they don't have bad morale alongside my undead dragons now. (Really love the AoE poison breath, amazing for bringing in Rage.)

I have a bow which adds +20% crit to archers, so unless someone has a better list, I guess I have to take all ranged units one at a time and check if their crit has been raised?

I also have the Elven bow (Full Elven set in fact, with 2 crowns hehe) which gives +15% damage to archers. Now if that works with Cyclops who have the "Archer" attribute, then I know what I'm recruiting next!

Any help with a list of "Archers" appreciated, thanks.

Does Count:

Elven Archers
Hunters
Undead Archers

Doesn't Count:

Cyclops ( :( )

TemjinGold
12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I know human archers, both types of beholders, goblin archers, and dwarven cannons count.

Akimbo
12-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I know human archers, both types of beholders, goblin archers, and dwarven cannons count.

lol /facepalm I always forget human archers, maybe because they're pretty awful in the leadership vs. Output ratio.

I was considering trying cannons, but may have morale problems and I've never been keen on goblins. I never knew Beholders counted, I have a stack of Evil Beholders from one of the earlier islands I think. I'll have to try them out. I'll also test and make sure they all count as archers (for sure), then I'll add them to the list if they do, thanks!

Coin-coin le Canapin
12-12-2009, 01:38 PM
These units have "archer" in their abilities :

Beholder
Bowman
Catapult
Elf
Evil Beholder
Goblin
Hunter
Repair Droid
Royal Thorn
Skeleton Archer
Thorn Hunter
Cyclops

I don't really understand why some (or the majority) of these one shouldn't be affected by skills concerning Archers units. :/
It would be so nice if any developper could reply to your thread.

Zechnophobe
12-12-2009, 07:21 PM
All of those SHOULD be effected by any Archer effect. The only exception might be that Beholder class units cannot get the bonus to physical damage that one item provides, as they do not do physical damage.

Akimbo
12-13-2009, 08:18 PM
These units have "archer" in their abilities :

Beholder
Bowman
Catapult
Elf
Evil Beholder
Goblin
Hunter
Repair Droid
Royal Thorn
Skeleton Archer
Thorn Hunter
Cyclops

I don't really understand why some (or the majority) of these one shouldn't be affected by skills concerning Archers units. :/
It would be so nice if any developper could reply to your thread.

Meh, the only units that seem to actually count as archers are:

Elf Archer
Hunter
Skeleton Archer
Bowman (Human)

Literally the ones with bows, so despite all having the "Archer" ability, most of them don't count.

I'm considering adding zombies to my force (the tougher ones) to see if the "Pass" ability works as I think it does, i.e. will allow my Skeleton Archers another attack on that turn. A bit like having two units of skele archers :)

Metathron
12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, the Pass ability is great!

Coin-coin le Canapin
12-14-2009, 12:29 PM
What if you have a zombie and a paladin?
You can choose one of your unit to play three times a round?
Maybe 4 with the magic spell ?

DGDobrev
12-14-2009, 01:02 PM
No. Technically, a unit cannot move/attack more than 2 times per fight. When you give a troop an extra move/attack/etc. they have the right to do that in the end of the sub-turn (as if you gave the same troop the order to wait the first time), after everyone else had moved.

This makes it impossible to have a troop act more than twice per battle. There is a small exception to the rule when 2 demon/executioner stacks start hacking at each other, as they may go on until one of them is destroyed. Another exception to the rule is the Gorguanas, who have a significant chance to get an extra attack if the stack just scored a killing hit. As such, a gorguana can get a lot of moves in one turn as well (limited by the number of enemy stacks currently on the battlefield).

EDIT: I checked the russian guide in an attempt to bring some clarity to the discussion here

If we're talking about Trigger, these are the units he affects:
Skeleton Archer, Archer, Cannoneer, Catapult Goblin, Elf, Hunter, Goblin, Royal Thorn, Thorn Hunter, Alchemist, Repair Droid, Cyclops, Beholder, Evil eyes.

If we're talking about Self-loading crossbow/Arbator it affects:
Skeleton Archer, Archer, Elf, Hunter

If we're talking about the Telescopic sight, these are the units it affects:
Skeleton Archer, Archer, Cannoneer, Catapult Goblin, Elf, Hunter, Goblin.

Akimbo
12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
No. Technically, a unit cannot move/attack more than 2 times per fight. When you give a troop an extra move/attack/etc. they have the right to do that in the end of the sub-turn (as if you gave the same troop the order to wait the first time), after everyone else had moved.

This makes it impossible to have a troop act more than twice per battle. There is a small exception to the rule when 2 demon/executioner stacks start hacking at each other, as they may go on until one of them is destroyed. Another exception to the rule is the Gorguanas, who have a significant chance to get an extra attack if the stack just scored a killing hit. As such, a gorguana can get a lot of moves in one turn as well (limited by the number of enemy stacks currently on the battlefield).

EDIT: I checked the russian guide in an attempt to bring some clarity to the discussion here

Skeleton Archer, Archer, Cannoneer, Catapult Goblin, Elf, Hunter, Goblin, Royal Thorn, Thorn Hunter, Alchemist, Repair Droid, Cyclops, Beholder, Evil eyes.

Yeah as I figured, most of the items for "Archers" are literally the only ones with bows on the model. A shame, but oh well.

Coin-coin le Canapin
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM

This makes it impossible to have a troop act more than twice per battle. There is a small exception to the rule when 2 demon/executioner stacks start hacking at each other, as they may go on until one of them is destroyed. Another exception to the rule is the Gorguanas, who have a significant chance to get an extra attack if the stack just scored a killing hit. As such, a gorguana can get a lot of moves in one turn as well (limited by the number of enemy stacks currently on the battlefield).Hmmm, okay.
Hmmm...

And with this configuration :

zombie
paladin
bowman

bowman plays
paladin makes bowman play again
zombie waits

bowman plays
zombie makes bowman play again

Does this work, or will the zombie play before the bowman even using the wait option?

Hope the question isn't stupid, but I'm not sure to understand your explanation (yeah, my bad english...)

Akimbo
12-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Hmmm, okay.
Hmmm...

And with this configuration :

zombie
paladin
bowman

bowman plays
paladin makes bowman play again
zombie waits

bowman plays
zombie makes bowman play again

Does this work?

edit: On reading your example again I'm not 100% sure...Someone needs to try it, but it does actually look promising.
edit2: No it doesn't work, I was right with the ordering:

Skeleton Archers: attack
Zombies: Pass to Archers, Archers get put to last initiative order
Paladins: Wait, in order to go after the archers, but they get their turn put before the skeleton archer have their second, so no, sadly it doesn't work.

I still havn't tried the Phantom method yet, but I think that'll work out the same, as whoever has their turn "Passed" or "Second Winded" to them, will always move last in that turn, regardless of any methods to get around it.
===========

No, when you "Pass" or use the Paladin's "Second Wind" the unit you use it on automatically get's put at the very end of the initiative line. So to give them a third turn you'd have to somehow get a unit to cast "Pass" or "Second Wind" after the unit has had it's second turn, but with it's second turn being pushed to last place, it's not possible :) (Only thing I can think of is if Phantom, cast on paladins or zombies would give the phantom unit a turn after the Bowman from your example have had their second turn...)

So it'd be like:

Bowman attack
Zombies "Pass"
Cast Phantom on Zombies.
Bowman attack.
Zombie Phantoms "Pass"

It all comes down to when the Zombie/Paladin Phantoms got their turn. I used zombies in the example because their initiative is awful, so if it has anything to do with who goes first, the zombie phantoms would be relegated to moving after the Bowman.

DGDobrev
12-14-2009, 02:13 PM
It doesn't work like this.

If zombie waits, it will get its turn on the sub-turn before the bowman has moved, and so, you won't be able to use it twice. However, if you have 2 archer-type, you can use both of them in the same turn :)

On the other hand, mini-phantom can work.

Akimbo
12-14-2009, 02:45 PM
On the other hand, mini-phantom can work.

I'm not 100% sure if the phantom moves last, or before the Archer unit gets its second turn though. I didn't try that yet :)

DGDobrev
12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I'm uncertain as well... That was a supposition, but come to think of it, it may not work... Guess we have to test it first :)

I've been thinking about an archer party for quite a while... I guess I may as well do one. The main thing I'm still pondering about is should I go for Trigger and its built-in archer crit or for Telescopic + Ale barrel (that gives +100% base attack to all archers in addition to a nice crit bonus), because unless I pick a mage, I can't go for both (I need 2 artifact slots for those, and with warrior/paladin + trigger I have only 1)...

It would require some further planning I guess.

Akimbo
12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I'm uncertain as well... That was a supposition, but come to think of it, it may not work... Guess we have to test it first :)

I've been thinking about an archer party for quite a while... I guess I may as well do one. The main thing I'm still pondering about is should I go for Trigger and its built-in archer crit or for Telescopic + Ale barrel (that gives +100% base attack to all archers in addition to a nice crit bonus), because unless I pick a mage, I can't go for both (I need 2 artifact slots for those, and with warrior/paladin + trigger I have only 1)...

It would require some further planning I guess.

Yeah I'm playing a warrior at the moment and was considering Trigger, but I need the slots Moro Dark supplies for the items I have at the moment.

On Moro:

Elven Bow
Elven Crown
Marshal's Baton
Dragon Cloak

On Me:

Elven Crown
Marshal's Baton
Axe of Lightning
Bow of Skill
Slippery Cuirass
Protective Bracelets
Pilgrims Boots
Dragon Chain

I could actually put in the Telescopic sight instead of the Dragon Chain, as I did find one of those. I also have the Barrel, but no Artifact slot to use it in :) It adds +100% attack, but that's to the base, not modified value I think, so not much use for skele archers. Nice boost to Elven Archers and Hunters though. The crit bonus from Trigger is nice (more so because it applies to a wide range of troops) but as you said, unless you're playing a Mage, you won't have enough slots for Artifacts (Though the Orc Armour Bearer has one I think). I wish I'd started my game as a Mage and found those items now :P

The Phantom method doesn't work either by the way, so it's impossible to give a single unit 3 turns in one go. It's perfectly possible to give 3 Archer units 2 turns each in one turn though.

As a mage I suppose you could keep up 2xPhantoms every turn since you only need to cast the level 1 version of the spell to get the extra-action skills. The number of troops in the phantom unit doesn't matter. Or cast Mass Precision for 6 Archer attacks all with +40% damage in the first turn...Why oh why don't I have a mage yet. New run through for me soon I guess hehe.

By the way my army for testing was:

Zombies
Paladins
Hunters
Elf Archers
Skeleton Archers

It's also worth noting that the Paladins Second Wind, doesn't work on Undead, so remember to Pass to them with the zombies and phantom the Paladins to Second Wind both Elf units :)

On a side note I've not found any better gloves (Those are +1 defense +50 leadership) or boots (+1 speed to slowest troops) what do people usually end up using for those slots.

DGDobrev
12-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Not bad at all! Right now I must confess that I'm abusing the save game scanner in order to get a favorable start. By that I mean at least a few Elves and Hunters easily accessible (preferaly not in castle Telion/Anorion, as they are protected), telescopic sight, yew bow, dagger of judgment, belt of luck, maybe elven bow... Kinda hard to get it, but we'll see :)

It will be fun to get a game with critting archers.

EDIT: BTW, in about 5 out of my 15 attempts, there were no hunters or elves at all in the game. That's a disturbing percentage... The scanner sure helps when you want something specific from the game.

travelingoz
12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
All you need is 1 stack of paladins and 1 stack of zombies and you can get 3 turns. Like this:-

Archers attack.
Paladins attack.
Cast phantom on paladins or zombies stack.
Next unit to act (either phantom or zombie) cast 2nd wind on archers.
Then next unit to act casts 2nd wind on original Paladin stack.
Archers take 2nd turn to attack.
Original Paladin stack casts 2nd(3rd?) wind on archers.
Bingo! ;)

At least in theory anyway! It's 2 am here and i'm going to bed. :confused:

Zechnophobe
12-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Well, that's just insane. Someone needs to be shot (with an arrow) for grouping those abilities like that. I mean, they all use the same language... but have different targets.

DGDobrev
12-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, it would really help if the abilities were segmented, I grant that. Most of the items that affect ranged units, when "combined" with the description of the unit can lead to pretty misleading conclusions.

If you want, I can try to isolate the items that affect the ranged units and provide some info about which troops they affect.

Akimbo
12-14-2009, 08:19 PM
All you need is 1 stack of paladins and 1 stack of zombies and you can get 3 turns. Like this:-

Archers attack.
Paladins attack.
Cast phantom on paladins or zombies stack.
Next unit to act (either phantom or zombie) cast 2nd wind on archers.
Then next unit to act casts 2nd wind on original Paladin stack.
Archers take 2nd turn to attack.
Original Paladin stack casts 2nd(3rd?) wind on archers.
Bingo! ;)

At least in theory anyway! It's 2 am here and i'm going to bed. :confused:

lol, well done that does work. If you have one Archer unit it's definitely the best way to make the most of them. If you have 2+ archer units it's probably better to give them an extra action each. Only problem I'm facing is the Paladins awful initiative.

DGDobrev
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Hmm, I'm kind of displeased with the archer party. I admit that they can dish a lot of damage in no time, but they are way too frail for my liking... Even if you babysit them as best as you can, you will suffer losses (playing on hard, impossible will be even tougher). They also tend to perform very poorly against bosses... But they are fun, I grant that.

Akimbo
12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Hmm, I'm kind of displeased with the archer party. I admit that they can dish a lot of damage in no time, but they are way too frail for my liking... Even if you babysit them as best as you can, you will suffer losses (playing on hard, impossible will be even tougher). They also tend to perform very poorly against bosses... But they are fun, I grant that.

Against the normal "mobs" they perform just fine. Against bosses, I usually only take one with me, sometimes I may even reform my entire army depending on the boss. (Stupid guy in the Mirror tower I'm looking at you.) I also only play on normal mode, since I'm still taking my time over my first run through the game, but it seems if you want to perform well with no/few losses on hard or impossible then you're stuck taking a somewhat generic army through the game. (Paladins, Inquisitors, Mages etc.) On the otherhand though, people love Fairies and they're also very frail, but also a melee unit. I suppose it's mostly down to play style.

I think the most important thing is a decent tanking unit that can be easily ressed. Such as Paladins. Alongside the Target spell.

DGDobrev
12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Hmm, that's my problem indeed :)

Actually, come to think of it, there is one unit that can fit an archer party - that's the Mage of the Light from the Army of the Light mod. Mass ress, gift, healing, 30% physical resistance... That can be fun.

Akimbo
12-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Hmm, that's my problem indeed :)

Actually, come to think of it, there is one unit that can fit an archer party - that's the Mage of the Light from the Army of the Light mod. Mass ress, gift, healing, 30% physical resistance... That can be fun.

Ah, just checked the thread, seems it may actually be usable in the English game now?

I'm probably going to cut back on my archers soon, I'm on Shetarra and just found some executioners and Demonesses, so I want them in my force. They're actually not in my playstyle, too slow for my liking, but I find them more interesting than Archers. (I have almost the entire Demon set as well, with the whip etc. Just looking for the last part.)

DGDobrev
12-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Well, I managed to get it working without problems by simply adding/replacing the english translation. I suppose there are still some bugs or something to work out (the missing images are still a problem, but I've gotten used to it).

As for demons, they can be fun - if you have a nice supply of demons and executioners, they rock :)

LumberJaka
01-01-2022, 11:28 PM
Yeah as I figured, most of the items for "Archers" are literally the only ones with bows on the model. A shame, but oh well.

What about Sniper set (telescopic sight and ale barrel)? What type of archers benefit here?

ckdamascus
01-10-2022, 11:57 PM
What about Sniper set (telescopic sight and ale barrel)? What type of archers benefit here?

Ugh, there is a list in the unofficial translated "hint book" that should be on the forums here somewhere...

If I recall correctly, bowmen, elves, high elves, cannoneer, goblin, catapulter? and there are a few others.

Found it!
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=186971&postcount=58

Archers - for the sake of the set
Skeleton Archer, Archer, Cannoner, Goblin with the Catapult, Elf, Pathfinder, Goblin.
(Only for an item the Optical sight and the complete set of the Sniper)