PDA

View Full Version : Transmute skill... bugged?

tofucsek
12-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Mage's transmute skill should give mana whenever troops die however it seems to be broken when you kill enemy troops with spells. The skill's description doesn't say anything about how the stack has to die (spell, melee). Anyone experiencing the same problem?

DGDobrev
12-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Transmute gives mana only when a stack dies from a regular attack. In addition to that, summoned stacks give only 1 mana. There is a discrepancy in the translation. It is not a bug.

tofucsek
12-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. About the Armageddon spell which says it causes fire damage, is it also a mistake in translation? Only asking because the spell does a nice dmg to my black and red dragons too.

DGDobrev
12-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Only the burning post-effect is fire-based. As in KBTL, Armageddon inflicts astral damage. There is no resistance against it.

tofucsek
12-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks, however you are getting slower. It took you 22 minutes to answer my question. You should really read the forum more often.

Metathron
12-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks, however you are getting slower. It took you 22 minutes to answer my question. You should really read the forum more often.

Haha!

On a side note, the game seems to be rife with translation errors. Judging from the credits screen, it was translated by a native speaker of English. Methinks he could use a good whoopin'! :twisted:

Mandea
12-07-2009, 06:11 AM
yeah, there are errors. I found intellingence and intellect. but they are the same thing, with different names.

Stepsongrapes
12-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Haha!

On a side note, the game seems to be rife with translation errors. Judging from the credits screen, it was translated by a native speaker of English. Methinks he could use a good whoopin'! :twisted:

Being a native speaker of English just means that any error is probably on the Russian side of the equation.

Also, translation is difficult without context- if the translator wasn't actually checking every aspect against the actual game, it's hard to translate words that can have multiple meanings, if you don't have a way to check which meaning applies.

Finally, you're assuming that the source material is 100% correct. There are a lot of English-originated games that have errors in the manual without any translation issues.

DGDobrev
12-07-2009, 05:30 PM
I can assure you, the Russian side of the game is clean as a whistle. Everything was easy to grasp and understand, and everything was perfectly clarified (in brackets, as additional info, etc.).

It is as simple as that - the people who did the translation have done a pretty crappy job. Probably it would have been better if some of the developers conducted the translation, as there would have been barely any mistakes.

I can't accept the fact that someone with english as his native language would translate the Prayer ability improperly. The ruassian version clearly states that it can resurrect 1-4 lvl units, with the exception of mechanics and plants. The English version of the game states the exact opposite. I can't accept that the trapper medal translation as well. The Russian version clearly stated that the counter improves when a troop is killed by the trap with the exception of summoned creatures. The english translation puts a (without regard to kind) - which is wrong - and should mean that both enemy and friendly troops killed by the trap improve the counter - BUT nothing is said about summoned creatures!

I can go on and on, but suffice it to say, someone has definitely done a poor job with the translation.

Arilian
12-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I did not understand prayer either.
Why it is not rez my plants? It say it does.

So this is why....

Nitelite
01-21-2010, 01:42 AM
The game was delayed forever in coming to the States and everyone was like, "Well, translation is hard work and I want them to translate properly so don't mind waiting" etc etc and then when the game is released, we still had shoddy translation. Seriously? All you need is a SINGLE bilingual Russian/English speaker that knows there crap. Thats it. Translation isn't that hard. There really isn't that much text. How does stupid crap like this happen?

Stepsongrapes
01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
The game was delayed forever in coming to the States and everyone was like, "Well, translation is hard work and I want them to translate properly so don't mind waiting" etc etc and then when the game is released, we still had shoddy translation. Seriously? All you need is a SINGLE bilingual Russian/English speaker that knows there crap. Thats it. Translation isn't that hard. There really isn't that much text. How does stupid crap like this happen?

You're assuming at least a couple of things.

1) that the orignal Russian game doesn't have the same misinformation. A perfect translation of wrong information would still be wrong information.

2) that the game is exactly the same between the Russian version and the US. The devs could have rebalanced how some things work.

DGDobrev
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Actually the Russian game was clean as a whistle and almost everything was perfectly clarified. This is why I was on edge when I first saw the english translation and this is why I made the info thread and the discreancies thread to help the players who did not have the chance to go through the russian version.

PineNeedles
01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I got the impression that the translator was an excellent linguist... but not a gamer at all.

The storyline translations are spot-on, but the tooltips which even in your own native language don't make sense without knowledge of the game seem to have come out wrong a fair number of times.