PDA

View Full Version : Wall - one point wonder, or worth investing?

Akimbo
12-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Well I'm a little dissapointed with the skill, as it's treated as one entity, meaning it can be destroyed very easily. It's a shame it's not like the Ice Prison skill from the first game (Was called Ice prison or something similar...been a while, hopefully you know what I mean, it was cast from the Rage Box 3rd spirit.) which despite having like 1hp per section, was still made up of ~8 pieces.

I do still like wall, it's great to be able to hold off a unit for a turn at least (near the start of the game) or to use it to encourage the AI to take a narrow route through the battle map (though sometimes they will plough through if the alternate route is blocked by their own pieces), however is it really worth investing in? I get the feeling later in the game it'd probably not take many hits, if more than one even with points invested in it. So is it worth just keeping it at level 1? It'll still soak up a hit, but is cheap and somewhat spammable. What are experiences of it maxed like? Does it survive multiple turns end game or not?

At the moment I'm using it against weak enemies I intentionally ignored earlier in the game. (I'm just at Bolo now, a little underpowered maybe but not a problem.) I kill off all the enemy, except for one unit, which I get as small as possible. Then within the first 10 turns, I spam as many stoneskin spells and shield spell (from Archmages) as I can, while doing everything possible to block the last enemy. As you can guess I'm trying to work through the damage reduction medals asap. However what prompted this post, was that soon I feel that Wall won't be able to help me with this tactic. So I'm getting as much out of it as I can while it's still possible.

tofucsek
12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I've never been a "wall using person" myself.
However 5000HP and +30 defense upgrade can be tempting (fully upgraded), also the fairly low rage cost and high XP that it gives.
Probably there are people who could answer your question more accurately, my experience is on lvl 20ish, wall only upgraded once or twice, the enemy comes through of it like it wasn't even there. And the enemy units tend to destroy it if the stack is capable of doing it with one hit so AI doesn't even bother go around it anymore.
Maybe if you are a mage and you want to lvl up your dragon I can see this as an option but at the end game... maybe not the best choice.

Tibster
12-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Like in KbL i chose to sacrice a skill to be able to upgrad the others, so that it will pop up less on the upgrade screen.
So i recomend u dont put any point in it.

Akimbo
12-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies, yeah I think I'll leave it with only one point in it. I've got most of the use out of it that I can and now it's just a "panic button" to put a barrier between the enemy and a stack of my own troops if I really need to hold them off for a turn.

Holywhippet
12-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Like any skills/spells/troop choices it all comes down to tactics and your situation. Often the enemy can punch through your wall in 1-2 hits but sometimes it buys you just a little more time to pound them at range. Although it might be hard to manage, the best time to use wall can be at the very start of a fight. Many slow enemies have a run skill letting them most of the way across the screen in the first round. Drop a wall in front of them and they either have to take a longer route or waste time breaking it down. Notably the trap spell has a similar use.

Newbie1234
12-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Wall is great in certain situations.

From my experiences, the AI tends to just avoid the wall and really only attacks it as a last last last resort. I have a couple of points invested in it, and it's something like 1800 health and 30 defense, which has been more than enough so far. You don't want too little health, or else multiple hex attacks (eg. Phoenix, Cerberus, etc.) might kill it accidentally.