PDA

View Full Version : AI stupidity

Elwin
12-02-2009, 08:54 AM
What funny idiotic AI behaviors did you notice ??
Mine best is imps sneering the choshas .. i have met only a few in my game so far but they were always doing it

Misery
12-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Enemy stacks stepping into four in a row while my Red Dragon was on wait.

I used oil mist, and wiped them all in a single stroke.

4 10k damage poping,feels good.

Mandea
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
the worst is when a flying unit decides to walk rather then fly and steps into....my traps given by the specific medal. I lost in one fight 8 dragons like this. reload :D

Ufozile
12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
the worst is when a flying unit decides to walk rather then fly and steps into....my traps given by the specific medal. I lost in one fight 8 dragons like this. reload :D

This

boty
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
When slow kinghts(speed 2) were desperatly chasing the repair droids around an obstacle set in the battelfield. Low AI didn't even try to wait until the right time to act or to chase another target(slower). That wasn't funny, was anoying.

Stepsongrapes
12-18-2009, 04:39 PM

This isn't really an AI-issue- there's no true decision made, IIRC.

The units ALWAYS walk when the distance is 3 or less and there is a open path. It's entirely predictable when your units will do it.

boty
12-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Knights chased my droids first to the right, then to the left and did that maybe 10-15 times, I don't remember. They would never get to those droids. A 70 IQ being knew that.

Stepsongrapes
12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Knights chased my droids first to the right, then to the left and did that maybe 10-15 times, I don't remember. They would never get to those droids. A 70 IQ being knew that.

What do you expect the AI to do though? A slower, lower initiative unit can never catch a faster, higher initiative unit in the situation you described.

I don't see how that's really an AI flaw.

TemjinGold
12-18-2009, 08:20 PM

Before you click, look at the icon. If you are walking there, it's a normal boot. If you are flying there, it's a boot with wings.

Zhuangzi
12-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Enemy Paladins resurrecting themselves. Unfortunately, they also have undead stacks on their team, which take damage and walk away, straight onto a trap! :-P

boty
12-19-2009, 06:31 AM
What do you expect the AI to do though? A slower, lower initiative unit can never catch a faster, higher initiative unit in the situation you described.

I don't see how that's really an AI flaw.

Well, in this situation, the best for AI is to make me end the game prematurely. AI had no chance to win, but at that time all I wanted was to delay the game to have time to repair my droids and also to find more chests with the pet dragon. A clever AI would chase a slower unit. Playing this game I found situations when AI act cleverly. When I set a trap with the purpose to eliminate the entire unit of archers, they prefered hand to hand attack and got killed, so I failed with my trap. That was clever.

Zhuangzi
12-19-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't believe there's anything in the AI behaviour to suggest that it will try to 'suicide' if it is losing the battle. I don't think unit behaviour changes at all.

boty
12-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Well, they could make a step behind(in the trap!!) and shoot. Sometimes they did so.

Sandsai
12-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I feel the AI cheats a bit when it comes to traps. Sometimes I lay a trap and the shortest distance is straight through that trap, the enemy has to walk only one tile to reach me, but the enemy goes around the trap tile to attack my unit. I have sometimes noticed similar behavior when the enemy starts walking from its starting position. I would replay the same battle and note that there are only two direction possibilities. I would place a trap on one of those to see which tile the unit would step on, making sure that everything else was identical, same stack on same arena, casting the same spells and giving otherwise identical battle orders, but the enemy would avoid the trap tile and opt to walk on the free tile no matter where I placed the trap. One battle I even remember which way the enemy would go and place the trap on that path and of course, everything else being equal, it decided to walk around the trap.

Urbz
12-20-2009, 08:46 AM
It can be annoying but I'm not sure if it's really cheating, if you would play versus another player and he knew you had traps you would also at least try to avoid them :grin:
There's several ways to make sure the AI will end up on the traps though.

Zhuangzi
12-20-2009, 09:47 AM
It can be annoying but I'm not sure if it's really cheating, if you would play versus another player and he knew you had traps you would also at least try to avoid them :grin:
There's several ways to make sure the AI will end up on the traps though.

Yep. As long as going through the trap is the ONLY way an enemy stack can reach and attack one of your units, it will go through it. Every time.

Urbz
12-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Yep. As long as going through the trap is the ONLY way an enemy stack can reach and attack one of your units, it will go through it. Every time.

Aye but also the dragon kick, archmage telekinesis and emerald dragon grab for example :grin:

Kings Bounty Hunter
12-20-2009, 05:38 PM
I've seen a weak army sacrifice itself and spring my trap that I had intended for another unit just to piss me off!! lol That army had other options of where to move but headed straight for my trap.

The unit I actually wanted to hit the trap had the next turn and the AI knew this so sacrificed a shitty army to spoil my plan. By doing this the army died and the much larger unit did some big damage to my unit that was close to it, if that makes sense.

In any case, I thought it was quite clever of the AI :)

Ryastar
12-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I've had a powerful stack of enemy griffins split themselves so that the new stack is two spaces directly away from my red dragons, and the the original stack goes and attacks my dragons. One counter-attack later, there are no griffins left. Thank you for reducing your damage dealt, and increasing your casualties, AI!

Stepsongrapes
12-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, in this situation, the best for AI is to make me end the game prematurely. AI had no chance to win, but at that time all I wanted was to delay the game to have time to repair my droids and also to find more chests with the pet dragon. A clever AI would chase a slower unit. Playing this game I found situations when AI act cleverly. When I set a trap with the purpose to eliminate the entire unit of archers, they prefered hand to hand attack and got killed, so I failed with my trap. That was clever.

You're asking for a lot. Also, you're asking for something that is outside the context of the game. The mob you're fighting isn't supposed to be some unified meta-opponent for the whole game. It is supposed to be a random group of monsters out to kill you, not something willing to sacrifice itself for the benefit of the mob union.

As to traps, I'm pretty sure that's random behavior (I personal find that ranged units will actually step away from an adjacent unit most of the time). Trap as, as a concept, are supposed to be invisible to the movement AI (hence the ability to stick it in predictable places). If the movement AI knew where traps were, that wouldn't be "clever", that would simply be AI cheating (by knowing what it shouldn't know).

boty
12-22-2009, 01:51 PM
What funny idiotic AI behaviors did you notice ??
Mine best is imps sneering the choshas .. i have met only a few in my game so far but they were always doing it

Today I saw what you were talking about. This behavior seems to be idiotic, but it is not such idiotic as it looks. The purpose is to make choshas waste a "move" - summoning that wormlike creatures or making them poisonous. Choshas just defense instead.
Something really stupid and not so funny is when AI attacks the red dragons when they are able to retaliate. Of course, the weakest AI unit attacks first, but it seems they forgot about the friendly unit behind of them.