PDA

View Full Version : Who says ball of lightning isn't the best dragon ability?

DGDobrev
11-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I hope this little screenshot will change the minds of many people. I will only say that this is what happens when you top up ball of lightning with seal of blood from the gorguanas. Since the Ball of Lightning is based on the total health of the stack (it is not affected by intellect), it works wonders.

The screenshot will speak for itself. I hope you enjoy it, and employ this little tactic in your games.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It CAN go higher. I forgot I lost 2 Paladins so I replayed it. Although the opponent is considered "lethal", I could easily beat him up with death star. However, I got inspired by that wicked damage I got through lightning and decided to try another thing.

Here's what happens when you have Ball of Lightning, Mark of Blood and Peacefulness on one target.

So I uploaded the new image.

EDIT 2: If you want, I can provide the save game just before this battle and see how high can you go :)

arcainic
11-27-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't understand, doesn't peacefulness increase the hp of the target & lower damage? Why did that affect the damage? it seems there's only 136 of those buggers left, how did you do, even with double damage from mark of blood, 90% damage?

DGDobrev
11-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Peacefulness increases the HP of a troop. Since Ball of Lightning bases it's damage on the HP of the victim, you can imagine why - the max damage is 48% of the total troop health. With mark of blood it can kill 96% of the enemy troop max. I think I got close to that here - about 90% of it.

Here's how a simple stupid spell that barely someone uses may become a really powerful weapon against enormous stacks.

Kathos
11-27-2009, 10:35 PM
what the sh:!:t
(maxing lightning)

JGary321
11-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Very creative way of using what is like you said a useless spell to most. Nice.

arcainic
11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
if you increase the troop's max health, so ball of lightning does more damage, but their troops gain proportionately more health, how does that help with the damage?

Metathron
11-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Wasn't aware that peacefulness could be cast on an enemy stack. I think most other non-direct damage spells cannot?

DGDobrev
11-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Lightning does not do damage. It simply kills a part of the enemy stack just like Reaper's soul draining ability in KBTL. As such, it is affected only by spells or abilities that may improve the damage a target takes (of any kind). Still, like Reaper's ability, it shows the damage amount based on the total health of the units in the troop it killed.

Well, ok, I'll tell you what I did. The Lightning would have killed about 44-45% of the stack anyway. That's a pretty high percentage. But since I was aware that this stack is extremely dangerous, I had to make it kill more of it. So I added mark of blood to make it kill 90% of it. The damage was about 85k, which was great, but it wasn't tremendous. So I started looking for ways to increase it through other spells. Peacefulness seemed to be the best one available, so I tried it and that was the result. Doom doesn't work, as it only affects weapon-based attacks. Helplessness also doesn't help, since the lightning isn't affected by it.

So I confess :) That was a simple trick to "improve" the "damage" by improving the enemy stack's HP. If I had lvl 3 peacefulness, the damage probably would have gone even higher. That was simply fooling around with the game mechanics.

I think peacefulness is the only buff spell that can be cast on an enemy squad. I may be wrong though.

And it does. I loaded back the save game, got lvl 3 order (which I wasn't going for at all, this is why I had only lvl 2) With level 3 peacefulness, I managed to nudge it like 13k higher. Here's the screen. Maybe if I fool around with the game a little I may even make it go over 150k.

The general rule of thumb is: total health of the troop is what matters. If the total health is 200k for example, and you put peacefulness lvl 3, the health will become 300k (+50%). So if you put seal of blood, ball of lightning will kill twice as much units. If you luck out with a percentage of 48% of the units, this means 48%x2=96%. 300 000x96% = 288000 points of health destroyed = 288000 damage. This is what the game will show.

EDIT:
I can go in-depth here.
There are 1552 Gorguls, 70 HP each. That is 1552x70=108640 total troop health.
I put on peacefulness, which improves the stack's HP by 50% and reduces damage by 30%. The latter is irrelevant.
108640+50% health (1.5)=162960 total troop health.
I put on mark of blood. That forces any damage the troop takes to double.
Ball of lightning kills up to 48% of a troop MAX. With Mark of Blood, that goes up to 96% MAX.
162960x96%=156442
With Peacefulness lvl 3, 1 gorgul's health becomes 105.
156442/105= 1489.92 => I can kill 1489 gorguls at most from this troop.

156442 - that is the highest damage this troop can take from Ball of Lightning in the best case scenario.

Granamyr
11-29-2009, 03:27 AM
Does lightning ball always attack the stack with the most total HP? Otherwise, how do you direct it to attack the enemy you want?

DGDobrev
11-29-2009, 09:33 AM
I have the dragon create it as close as possible to the stack I want it to hit. However, if nearby has a stack of similar health, which in AI's opinion can pose more threat, the lightning will attack it and not the stack you want. but, provided you have mana, you can spawn another ball of lightning and the second one in this case usually hits the stack you want.

It is a bit dodgy, but once you get to know the ability, it is very easy to control it. You should be aware of some restrictions:
The lightning has speed of 5 (I think)
After the lightning has attacked or moved, a charge is lost
A lightning can do only 2 actions (in the beginning) or 3 (at higher level)
Damage is really low against small stacks
If you have 2 or more balls of lightning, 2 cannot hit the same target in one turn

Once you get to know the ability, you're going to love it. I, personally, use it all the time, sometimes even twice (or even three times as a mage) in a round, especially if the enemy army comprises of severa stacks with 200+ units.

Misery
11-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Ermm I understand that Peacefulness does improved the damage from lightning ball, but in the term of effectiveness isn't it the same as casting the lightning ball without it?(and perhaps it can be worse since the left over troops have overall more health than without Peacefulness being cast on)

Mark of Blood is the powerful tool indeed, too bad I can't find any of those lizards recruits yet and I was planning on dragon armies.

DGDobrev
11-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Absolutely :) It was just a tool to up the damage - and to check out some of the game mechanics I was wondering about. In essence it was a simple test - I wasn't aware that the damage will jump that high, although I admit I was in total awe when it did.

However, even if the troop is left with more hp, it's also left with 30% less damage. That is serious as well.

Zechnophobe
11-30-2009, 04:56 AM
A sorta funny combo, the mark + Ball Lightning. I guess the BL is a direct damage ability, but the damage is based on a percentage of total health, which is why it works.

The Rock-man
01-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Really Peacefulness depends on the HP & damage of the target as to if it worth using on it or not. (It best used on High damage low health enemies and high health, low damage allies, for best effect.) It really a buff/debuff combo.

Aster
03-10-2010, 08:46 AM
So, the peacefulness doesn't help killing, just for the record of the highest damage?

DGDobrev
03-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Precisely. Ball of lightning will kill a % of the units - regardless of the fact if there are 1000 gorguls or 1000 dragons, and no matter the Health they got.

As I said before, Peacefulness is for posterity :)

Goekhan
04-04-2010, 04:47 AM
I use Ball of Lightning when there are many stacks with over 300-400. And when I face fast enemies, shock is really nice (especially when multiple balls are flying around together)

MaroonMaurader
04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm suspicious that you can actually do even better than 134k... if you have sufficient patience. Resurrect 3, Mana Spring 3, Call of Nature 1, archdemons, and 1 gorguana... against skeleton archers and ghosts. Let the gorguana die; use the high initiative and speed of archdemons to keep them out of range of the ghosts. Whittle the skeleton archers down to just a few units, then use mana spring on your archdemons to restore mana indefinitely. Call of Nature to give the enemy ghosts a nice target to Soul Drain. You should be able to grow the enemy ghost stack to an arbitrarily large size. Then you kill off the enemy skeleton archers, resurrect your gorguana, use mark of blood + peacefulness, and follow up with Ball of Lightning.

I've never used ghosts, so I'm not certain that they drain summoned animals; that's the only point I can see where this could go wrong.

DGDobrev
04-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Of course it can go a lot higher. I just gave an example of how to use it and what a wicked tool it is. I didn't do it to brag, nor did I do it to play the big guy. Everyone should be free to experiment. The game gives so many options - you simply need to utilize them :)

rollems
04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Damn i am loving ball of lightning. big stack of Lvl5 unit. put ball of lightning and watch the fun.

iregev
04-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Are black dragons immuned to ball of lightning ?
They never seem to get targeted

ivra
04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
No they are not, not entirely. Since they have 80% magic resistance (ball of lightning does magic damage) they only receive 1/5 of the original damage. So instead of loosing 20-50% of their numbers, they loose only 4-10% of their numbers. Ball of Lightning targets the unit in range that it does most damage to, that is why black dragons are seldom targeted.

Astral damage is the way to go against black dragons. Spells like Death Star and Trap works nicely. Fiery Phantoms are the best pet ability against black dragons.

guderian2
08-30-2010, 11:35 AM
I like lighting spell.
I think It's useful against armies with one or two strong numbers units, because it concentrates damage against those units (with a great overall damage total) and also softers them before the beginig of the unit vs unit combat.
Also, its cheap in rage cost and is the only dragon spell that generates rage (on every strike), so its also a way to boost your rage.