PDA

View Full Version : Taking on the odds

Hento
11-26-2009, 12:03 PM
In KBTL you were able to defeat enemies who were strong, very strong and lethal without zero losses on hard.

Yet in KBAP it seems that one has trouble doing that with "equal strength", on hard, with no losses, is there a specific class or special tactic that makes this possible or easier?

I'm as paladin on lvl 8 now and I can't get anything done despite having 29% critical on almost all my units and having 4 defence 4 attack 5 intellect, I basically have nowhere to go now...

Infiltrator
11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm not having problem with equal strength on hard yet. If you are than you are lacking two or three the following:

Summoners
Tanks
Ressurectors

Sortvind
11-26-2009, 12:12 PM
I manage to take everyone who is not invincible. If they are invincible they have to be of certain types of troops for me to defeat them.
Heroes who has invincible is a pain, but it can work.

I Remove a great deal with a 1800 point fireball and 700 point fire arrow at the start.

I make sure to both poison and give burn to the strongest as fast as possible, therefor making sure they loose a lot of HP each turn.

Snakes are some of the best troops you can have in my opinion, since they are great at avoiding counter attack!

Sortvind
11-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Oh, you meant zero losses, no, i can`t do that on such hard levels.
I am not even gonna try, enough pain getting through on hard with mage as it is :-P

Hento
11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
The problem are those damn heroes who throw fire arrow or poison skull and ruin everything..

I think I'll go with 3 units from now on, Guard Droids and Repair Droids divided into 2 groups so they can repair each other...I think this will work.

DGDobrev
11-26-2009, 12:27 PM
In my opinion 1 stack of guard droids and 1 repair droids, split in half will suffice. Back them up with Archmagi (Magic shield on the guard droids, since they will be your tanks) and Inquisitors (in case any archmagi or inquisitors die) and you have a party that can heal eachother at will.

Hento
11-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Of course, I completely forgot about Archmages and their magic shield...and I already have lvl 2 stone skin.

Hento
11-26-2009, 08:41 PM
And of course, magic shield is one of those medal award requirements...silly me, I was expecting to find that spell.

Hento
11-27-2009, 07:07 PM
How come with over 50% of critical chance on almost all your units, critical strikes rarely happen, Sea Dogs will far more frequently dodge attack with their 20% evasion than I will score critical strike with over 50% chance?

DGDobrev
11-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Because 50% critical doesn't mean 1 in 2. It's 50% for each attack, so it may either happen or not. It's all about luck. In some cases 50% may mean 1 in 5, or even more.

Kings Bounty Hunter
11-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Because 50% critical doesn't mean 1 in 2. It's 50% for each attack, so it may either happen or not. It's all about luck. In some cases 50% may mean 1 in 5, or even more.

Well it should state 20% Why is the game trying to rewrite percentages lol

100% should mean just that, if a creature has a 50% chance of dodge then it should dodge every other attack.

Simple :-P

DGDobrev
11-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Well, 100% crit means always crit. For example, with 2 magess dresses, my archmagi do just that - crit on every hit.

However, the percentages of evasion are based on 2 things: what happened in the previous attack and what will happen on this one. If on the previous attack the unit has evaded (even a retaliation), the 20-30% chance is active for this attack. Sadly, in KBAP, this sometimes means a bit too often. Still, it is also a bit too often for you as well if you use those units.

So we can't complain I guess :) Although it is both irritating and frustrating when the AI decides to give you some really hard time evading almost every second attack.

Zechnophobe
11-28-2009, 06:01 AM
What are you talking about? It's random, it isn't 'too often' unless you mean for your personal preference. 1 chance in 5 still happens three times in a row one in every 125th try.

If anything I think they have pulled a HommV and made it so there are never consequetive dodges, meaning things dodge less than they say they do.

DGDobrev
11-28-2009, 08:37 AM
It is not random. It is a percentage that is applied to every attack with certain resirictions.

3 times in a row cannot happen. An enemy who has dodged will ot dodge the next attack, be it from a unit it from retaliation. So simply be careful. Have the enemy dodge a simple attack that won't hurt him/her much, then hit him with the best you've got. It is as simple as that :)

Ryastar
11-28-2009, 01:17 PM
One important thing about dodge chances is that abilities that do damage cannot be dodged. I am about 90% sure about this, since I have never seen them get dodged, and it makes sense that these things can't be dodged since they are not, strictly speaking, attacks.

Elwin
11-28-2009, 01:31 PM
They can .. my royal snakes's lunge was doged many times in the beginig ...

Ryastar
11-28-2009, 02:41 PM
weird, I've never seen my royal snakes' lunge get dodged, and my green dragons' abilities are always hitting too.

DGDobrev
11-28-2009, 02:45 PM
One important thing about dodge chances is that abilities that do damage cannot be dodged. I am about 90% sure about this, since I have never seen them get dodged, and it makes sense that these things can't be dodged since they are not, strictly speaking, attacks.

It depends on the ability. Demonologists' draining can't be dodged. On the other hand, Knights' Circle attack can be dodged. If the ability is close combat and requires weapon use to do it, it can be dodged.