PDA

View Full Version : Voice of the Dragon skill-worth using ?

Misery
11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Seeing that this skill is located at the final tier of Mind tree, I'm curious about the efficiency of it.

Also what does the "animals" in the skill description define to? Is Beholder animal ? Is dragon animal ?

Elwin
11-25-2009, 07:25 AM
animal will be griifins woulfs bears and such ... dragon is dragon ..

Zechnophobe
11-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Seeing that this skill is located at the final tier of Mind tree, I'm curious about the efficiency of it.

Also what does the "animals" in the skill description define to? Is Beholder animal ? Is dragon animal ?

Well, I've got a stack of Black and a stack of Red in my army, and the additional boosts to crit, and stats makes a very nice difference.

Mandea
11-25-2009, 08:48 AM
as far as I remember, the black and white horses from the elves are also animals. what I really don't like in AP is that you can finish it and never find manny troops. in my first run I couldn't find manny elves, undead and lizzards. in Legend this was less of a problem.

Kosiciel
11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
What are MANNY troops?

Infiltrator
11-25-2009, 09:10 AM
The opposite to feww troops.

Sortvind
11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
I think the troops are very random?
Since some people claim to have both red and black dragon at lvl 5, and i am at 20 now and only had 1 green. And i explored it all so far.

DGDobrev
11-25-2009, 03:12 PM
If you explored it all, you would have found green dragons on Elon, a ton of red/green/black dragon eggs on Shatterra (including Ulthrax) and Rehau, as well as a bunch of T-Rex eggs on rehau.

Red/black dragons eggs spawn here and there as well, like montero, tekron, nameless island. On nameless island you will find a few bone dragons eggs as well.

Misery
11-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, both troops and items generated randomly, I was rerolling a warrior and find out that the king has the same 6 items in his stock D:

Zechnophobe
11-25-2009, 05:53 PM
My Warrior game, I found red dragons (4 of them) on Verona, at just about the time that I got 2000 leadership, they were godly.

Fishibaron
12-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Well, I've got a stack of Black and a stack of Red in my army, and the additional boosts to crit, and stats makes a very nice difference.

As far as I'm concerned I'm still very confused about this skill. Does this skill improve the morale of dragons? It seems that it only helps animals.

Someone please clarify.
Thanks,
Fishi

vicheron
12-15-2009, 05:55 AM
You need three levels for it to affect dragons.

marc
12-16-2009, 05:15 AM
In my game, I just finally got the 3rd level of that skill and I'm noticing a pretty big difference. My game is an Impossible Mage one, and I'm using all three stacks of dragons (Emerald, Red & Black), along with Archmages and Orc Shamans.

I also got the amulet that gives -20% leadership for red dragons... let's just say I'm having tons of fun. With 66 Intellect, I can cast an Oil Mist that does +70% fire damage on the whole area, then I just unleash my dragons for truly sick damage (20K+ on two stacks!). Adding a nice 90% red dragon phantom.... hehehe. Oh well. I just really like dragons.

DGDobrev
12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Dragons are great, undoubtedly, and this skill makes them even better. Still, it doesn't compensate for their physical damage resistance, which is a major issue when fighting bosses... Nor the poison one, for that matter (Dersu-Kumatu frog inflicts poison damage with its spit).

Elwin
12-16-2009, 11:14 AM
i was never hit by kumatu poison .. much more deadly is spider poison .. on hard i decided to atack it only with summon because poison was hiting too hard even with healers jacket on

Zechnophobe
12-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Dersu only attacks the middle guy with poison, unless he does his AoE right? Or is that just the big Spider? I used Royal griffon's against the spider up front since the Guard's are functionally immune to poison.

Oh, I also got TWO healer's Jackets :-3

DGDobrev
12-16-2009, 05:18 PM
All of the normal attacks of kumatu (left and right palm, bite) are physical based. Only the spit (mass attack) is poison based. Only units with decent poison resistance and healer's jacket helps from suffering serious losses... And dragons are not one of those (if we discount the bone dragon, because it counts as undead, not as a dragon) :)

marc
12-16-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm not playing a no loss game, but I don't remember the frog being that hard. I think it hit me 2 times with the poison breath and killed 2 or 3 dragons total. Wasn't a big deal. As for the spider, I don't think it killed even one of my units, as I was just summoning demon portals like crazy. I had plenty of cannon fodder.

I'm noticing that my mage tactics are much different from the first game. Is it just me or has Demon Portal been nerfed, for example? I thought it used to summon way more units, especially with 70+ int. I also miss my two geysers a turn. Oh well. :P

Dragons seem stronger this time around, or maybe it's just and impression, as I haven't played the first one in a while. With shamans to heal my black & red dragons, I didn't lose any in the last 100 fights or so. They are truly incredible now.

Holywhippet
12-16-2009, 11:40 PM
On a related note, is there a good spot to get black dragons? I've got 3 in my army but my leadership has increased to the point where I can have 4. The shop I got them from is out of them though.

DGDobrev
12-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Demon portal and all other summoning spells are based on leadership, summoning skill and intellect. The problem is that sometimes even a high intellect can't compensate for the leadership a warrior has (even with low intellect) when using this spell.

Black dragons... a bunch of eggs lie in Sheterra and Rehau, on Nameless island you can find a cave where the game usually spawns some black dragons. It's kinda hard to spot, so keep looking. Should be somewhere in the middle of the island, hear one of the tall crypts (too lazy to check it out now...).

Holywhippet
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't think I have access to any of those islands yet. I tried the summon titan spell - but the closest I got was bone dragons.

marc
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Demon portal and all other summoning spells are based on leadership, summoning skill and intellect. The problem is that sometimes even a high intellect can't compensate for the leadership a warrior has (even with low intellect) when using this spell.

The thing is, as a mage, I clearly remember being able to summon troops above my leadership limit by mid-game in KB:TL. This time around, even with 72 int and max summoning skill (AND the 20% extra from artifact!) I can't even summon my current leadership of troops. :(

DGDobrev
12-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Well, this is the formula:

Total Leadership = Spell Leadership * (1+0.05*Int) * (1+0.01*(Summoning+Items))

Summoning - 10, 30, 50
Items - Living book - 20

Smash
01-16-2010, 02:14 AM
All of the normal attacks of kumatu (left and right palm, bite) are physical based. Only the spit (mass attack) is poison based. Only units with decent poison resistance and healer's jacket helps from suffering serious losses... And dragons are not one of those (if we discount the bone dragon, because it counts as undead, not as a dragon) :)

Are you sure, i remember my knights doing special attack against bone dragons, so they are count as dragon in some way.

Can some one write bonuses for this skill on every lvl?

Zechnophobe
01-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Bone dragons are both Dragons AND Undead. They do get bonuses and penalties that effect dragons.

Smash
01-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Bone dragons are both Dragons AND Undead. They do get bonuses and penalties that effect dragons.

So are Bone Dragons affected by voice of dragons and how much dragons get morale. +3?

Zechnophobe
01-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Yes, bone dragons get the effect from the Third level of Voice of the Dragon, which maxes out at +2 Morale.

Note that you can also get an item that gives them +1 more.

rollems
02-05-2010, 04:56 PM
in Post 18 above Marc said
Dragons seem stronger this time around, or maybe it's just and impression, as I haven't played the first one in a while. With shamans to heal my black & red dragons, I didn't lose any in the last 100 fights or so. They are truly incredible now.

is it true black fragon can be healed ? if not shamman can any thing heal them in battle?

WhYdOyOuThInKtHaThApPeNeD
02-10-2010, 03:38 AM
I really like using dragons so it was one of my favorite skills. I went strait for maxing it out asap. Only wish it could be upgraded to lvl.5 or something.

Zechnophobe
02-12-2010, 01:42 AM
in Post 18 above Marc said

is it true black fragon can be healed ? if not shamman can any thing heal them in battle?

Only shamans can heal them. That is, quite literally, the only way to do so in the entire game.

Madstrike
08-09-2011, 09:42 PM
would it be worth going for 2 points in voice of the dragon to boost my royal griffins morale by 2? Im a mage, and currently using them along with pallys, inquisitors/archmages, and 2 archer units(hunters/elves/bowmen). I sometimes change a few units(knights/horsemen/druids stay in the castle in case I need them) but never change royal griffins nor pallys.
Basically Royal griffins are my cannon fodder and damage dealer(or should I say their phantoms xD) and against ranged units I just target my pally. So my question is should I boost their morale +2 in voice of the dragon, Ill have to go up to that skill from glory(which I have not a single point in it but was thinking on spending runes on it instead of voice of the dragon)?
Alternatively, do u guys think its worth spending points into quick draw since I like using 2 archer units? I rly dont see the appeal of getting those +1 defense/attack skills from the warrior skills tree...

Sir Whiskers
08-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Comes down to the number of runes you have and how you play your mage.

As a mage, I always prioritize other skills, such as Neatness, the spell schools, Transmute, High Magic, Anger, and a few others. Don't forget Summoner which will boost your royal griffin summoning ability.

If I use royal griffins and/or dragons, I really like to have Voice of the Dragon, but usually don't have the spare runes until late mid-game. Too many other skills are higher priority to me. Especially since I don't consider the prerequisite skills I have to take to get to Voice of the Dragon especially useful.

Madstrike
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Comes down to the number of runes you have and how you play your mage.

As a mage, I always prioritize other skills, such as Neatness, the spell schools, Transmute, High Magic, Anger, and a few others. Don't forget Summoner which will boost your royal griffin summoning ability.

If I use royal griffins and/or dragons, I really like to have Voice of the Dragon, but usually don't have the spare runes until late mid-game. Too many other skills are higher priority to me. Especially since I don't consider the prerequisite skills I have to take to get to Voice of the Dragon especially useful.

Im level 44, and the skills in the mage tree are pretty much all maxed except for linguistics and wisdom which pretty much just require magic runes. On the mind skills tree I have maxed prayer and absolute balance(and scouting ofc), was thinking about maxing glory OR going all the way till voice of the dragon(can only put 1 point for now, maybe 2 in a couple of levels).

The way I see it if I boost persuasion(1 point) and voice of the dragon(2 points) I can go with my griffins and humans/elves army without having to use the virgins set(the morale bonus is nice) because their single stats are pretty meh...

Sir Whiskers
08-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Im level 44, and the skills in the mage tree are pretty much all maxed except for linguistics and wisdom which pretty much just require magic runes. On the mind skills tree I have maxed prayer and absolute balance(and scouting ofc), was thinking about maxing glory OR going all the way till voice of the dragon(can only put 1 point for now, maybe 2 in a couple of levels).

The way I see it if I boost persuasion(1 point) and voice of the dragon(2 points) I can go with my griffins and humans/elves army without having to use the virgins set(the morale bonus is nice) because their single stats are pretty meh...

I would definitely recommend VotD over maxing out Glory. By this point in the game, the leadership bonus from Glory is not significant. Also, sounds like you have the runes to spare, so go for it.

ShuiMienLung
08-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Is it just me or has Demon Portal been nerfed, for example? I thought it used to summon way more units, especially with 70+ int.

Early on I was using an artifact (the name escapes me) which boosted both Demon Portal & Call of the Wild by 20%; when I started using other artifacts I thought that my Demon Portal was... rather anemic.

See if you have that artifact and perhaps removed it from use; if you've got it, try putting it back on.

Also, check to see if you have ranks in the Summoner talent in the Magic skill tree.