PDA

View Full Version : Will somebody please explain unit stats to me.

City Builder
11-23-2009, 12:04 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2s6vrbt.jpg
Could somebody be so kind as to explain unit stats to me in the image above.

Honestly, I'm sure there is a strategy here but all I'm really doing is tossing my minions at my enemies but I'm thinking that perhaps if I knew how the stats, attack, defense, damage actually worked then I might get more out of it than feeling like I'm simply tossing minions at the enemy.

For example, on the bear in the photo above, what does the 1 represent and what does the 4 represent? On my Griffon, what does the 1 represent and what does the - represent?

When I attack and it tells me 81-101 damage (but 0 kills) does this mean that if the unit stack is let's say 2, then my attack will inflict 81 to 101 damage on one of the units in that 2 unit stack only?

Thanks,

Mandea
11-23-2009, 12:09 PM
the number in the right represents the move/attack order (same as in HOMM).
the dash (-) means that unit had already acted (moved/attacked).

the number in the middle (the bear) represents the number of bears, 1 in this case. it could have been higher.

goodluck.

City Builder
11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
So am I correct in my assumption about the 81 to 101 damage?

Oh and I didn't play Homm for more than a couple minutes so not sure about that.

And thanks,

Mandea
11-23-2009, 12:53 PM
yes and no, you'll inflict 80-100 damage to that stack, but not to 1 unit of that stack. if 1 unit has 70 life, with 80-100 you'll defenitely kill at least 1 unit out of x, maybe more if you score a critical hit.
if it has 200 life, you won't kill any unit.
come on, experiment a little, it's quite simple.

Infiltrator
11-23-2009, 01:20 PM
That 80-100 is modified by your bear's attack and the enemy unit's defense. If you have lower attack than his defense then the damage goes lower (it can drop below 80), likewise if you have a higher attack than his defense it goes higher (it can go over 100).

Granamyr
11-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Right click or double click on your troops and you'll see all sorts of stats. Two tricky things to keep straight.

You'll probably see a lot of numbers in parenthesis, this is the base level of whatever stat. The number to the left of it is the actual stat taking into account all the different modifiers whether positive or negative.

Attack and Damage are quite different stats. The attack value is compared against the defense value of the enemy unit and this is considered when calculating damage. It's a rather complicated equation but largely, if your attack equals your enemy's defense, then you can expect to do a random number within the range of your Damage stat.

GMB56
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
sorry to revive an old thread. on my game, it's not showing the move order, only the number of units. Does anyone know if there's a setting to show that?

Direwolf
12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
press "alt" while in battle screen :grin:

Zechnophobe
12-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Note that if you alt-tab out during a battle, you will have to turn them back on (since you pressed the alt key again!).