PDA

View Full Version : Well, what's the concensus thus far? Yay or Nay?

City Builder
11-23-2009, 01:22 AM
I was ready to plunk down the $36.00 that it is currently selling for on Steam but decided to read some reviews first.

The first review I came across, even though it scored the game with an 8/10 pretty much boiled down to "if you've never played KB before, save yourself 20€ and buy KB Legends", on the other hand "if you have played KB and are thirsting for more, then maybe you want to spend the €39.99 on KB AP.

I enjoyed the first one, though I never finished it (lost the CD/DVD somewhere in the time I was playing it but never bothered to look too hard to regain it since I bought it for all of $4.00 at a closeout circuit city store), but I suppose that disk is around someplace and would probably be worth looking for if AP doesn't bring too much new to the game. Which was the overall impression I got from the first review I read, that it didn't bring too much new to the game.

So what say the players thus far... Yay or Nay, Good or Bad, Plenty of New shiny good stuff, or More of the same?

Thanks,

Zhuangzi
11-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Yay. In fact I think Armored Princess is the better game overall. A lot of those reviewers don't seem to have played the game for very long and consequently have skewed opinions. I played The Legend for 200 or so hours, and Armored Princess for about 40 hours already and I say that AP is the better game overall. :-P

Mandea
11-23-2009, 07:08 AM
a definitely YAY. wonderful game, from friday afternon I haven't been doing anything else. :D
and I still haven't finished it. a masterpiece. as I said, I hope to live the day to see KB 100 :D

hawker
11-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Yes, it's very good. The game has been tweaked quite a bit, new spells added, new units added and in some cases stuff added to old ones. It's not a "lazy" expansion like with some series where they put together a few new maps and a couple of unbalanced gimmick units for $20. KB:AP feels like a familiar, but fresh, proper new game.

Playing on Hard (which means H-A-R-D), it's definitely shaping up to be a long game, too.

cicobuff
11-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Much much smoother gameplay compared to KB:L. A lot less running around. And lots of improvements in the char development aspects.

Elwin
11-23-2009, 08:17 AM
The game is great tough for a mage its pretty hard, i cant imagine playing it even on normal without knowledge from impossible difficulty from KB:L ...
My normal mage in KB:L was mostly nuke nuke nuke thats all here its not possible

City Builder
11-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice. Thanks for the flipside of the coin. I realize this people that are here would be considered fans of the series so they're likely to be a bit jaded towards the game, but since I can read reviews like the one I did, this info comes off helpful to temper those reviews.

I suppose since I only spent $4.00 on the KBL and never finished it, I guess I can safely plop down the $35 on steam and give it a go.

Thanks,

elkston
11-23-2009, 03:28 PM
It's fun, but I think the pet dragons are too "cutesy".

jake21
11-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Also my complaint; and i've noticed a few reviews with a similar complaint. Kind of minor irritation but maybe there will be a way to tie 'em down in a future patch.

It's fun, but I think the pet dragons are too "cutesy".

DGDobrev
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Do not forget that the game is supposed to be enjoyed from people of all ages. A child will find the dragon really cool. Grown ups may not :)

City Builder
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Well after having now played it briefly, I'm not really bothered by the cutsey dragon, but I wouldn't be bothered about a more horrific looking and acting dragon either. One that sits at the side of the battle field picking it's teeth with the bones of dead ones, rather than eating apples and trying to feed them to the snail wouldn't bother me any, but neither does the cutesey one.

I think the one thing I would have liked to see added to this game would have been...
1. The dragon (whatever form it might have taken) to follow the Princess around on the game map.
2. The army of the Princess to follow around on the game map (one unit for each stack of units) as that would have made it feel much more grandiose travelling around the game maps with her entorage in tow.
Other than those little things nice game so far. Not too much to complain about, perhaps just a better manual might have been in order.

Nice. Thanks for the replies.

Boar
11-23-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm a wimp player, compared to most people here, but there are quite a few things I enjoy, and things I miss from playing the last game. One thing that surprised me pleasantly was that enemy ships will chase you down now! I always thought it was too easy to cruise about at will without a pirate attempting to actually pirate your ship! I am finding it a bit steep in terms of hardness, though, just on normal -- I've cheated already on my first game just to get a feel for things, and decide what class I can best play without cheating. It certainly is different, and in a pretty good way. I'm ashamed to admit I like the dragon -- I always like the humor in KB -- but at the same time as a guy I can't quite get used to playing a princess! Argh!

elkston
11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
One thing I do like is that they seem to have gotten rid of the morale system for items. I used to hate having to maintanence certain artifacts/weapons when they dropped below certain thresholds.

Or am I mistaken in this and just haven't run across the proper items yet? I am still pretty early in the game! :)