PDA

View Full Version : No choices at level up

Metathron
11-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Before I got the game, when I only got to see screenschots and such, I wondered at the many skills that increase the basic skills (attack, defense, intellect) and if how large (overpowering?) they could become late game. I now see that the choices at level up are no longer present. I like the set amount of leadership given on every level up, but I'm not sure how I feel about the lack of choice we used to have in KB:TL. I suppose it all evens out in the end.

How do folks feel about this?

DGDobrev
11-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, the lack of choices at level up is alleviated by additional skills, more levels to gain (or should I say shorter level ups) and better rune giveaways than KBTL.

Actually, in KBAP you can reach much higher attribute values than you did in KBTL because of those skills. Warrior with 40+ Attack? No problem. Paladin with 60+ defense? No worries. Mage with 65+ intellect? Bring it on :)

EDIT: To correct myself - the max intellect value before shrines and other bonuses is 70, which transforms to +500% spell damage. NOW - BRING IT ON :)
EDIT 2: Max values for now seem to be around 48 attack (before bonuses), 61 defense (before bonuses) and 70 intellect (once again, before bonuses from shrines and game objects). These values were unthinkable in KBTL :)

Well, I may have exaggerated a bit, because it's also a matter of luck - you should be downright lucky to get all the items you need to get such a high attribute value to spawn in one game, but... You can still reach some new heights you were unaware of - and in much less time that in took in KBTL.

CurtisJasper
11-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Before I got the game, when I only got to see screenschots and such, I wondered at the many skills that increase the basic skills (attack, defense, intellect) and if how large (overpowering?) they could become late game. I now see that the choices at level up are no longer present. I like the set amount of leadership given on every level up, but I'm not sure how I feel about the lack of choice we used to have in KB:TL. I suppose it all evens out in the end.

How do folks feel about this?

Personally, I prefer it this way because potential level up imbalances in the first one were simply too great. For example, someone who got the primary stat he needed for the first X levels and then went with leadership at the end was much better off than someone (as the same character) who only saw the stat he was looking for at higher levels (and hence would have to make major trade-off choices).

Granamyr
11-24-2009, 08:51 AM
I hate it...I must be doing something wrong. I'm a level 16 Warrior and have 6 Attack, 6 Defense, 4 Intelligence and that's all from the crummy items I have and the few shrines I've found. Now, in battle with all the morale increases and resistances, etc then my Attack is much higher per unit but nowhere near where I think it should be.

On level up, we never increase Atk, Def, Int.....do I have that right? How does a warrior get to this 40+ attack you speak of? I can get by as a warrior because my Leadership is doing fine but I can't see how a Mage would survive without being able to pump up "her" Intelligence.

Nike-it
11-24-2009, 08:53 AM
I hate it...I must be doing something wrong. I'm a level 16 Warrior and have 6 Attack, 6 Defense, 4 Intelligence and that's all from the crummy items I have and the few shrines I've found. Now, in battle with all the morale increases and resistances, etc then my Attack is much higher per unit but nowhere near where I think it should be.

On level up, we never increase Atk, Def, Int.....do I have that right? How does a warrior get to this 40+ attack you speak of? I can get by as a warrior because my Leadership is doing fine but I can't see how a Mage would survive without being able to pump up "her" Intelligence.

Just use appropriate skills to increase Attack, Defense and Intelligence. In AP it much more easier to create the hero you want.

Zhuangzi
11-24-2009, 09:15 AM

Are you spending your runes? Stupid question, but I don't see how a Warrior could only have 6 attack and defense by level 16. For comparison, my Warrior is level 19 and has 13 Attack, 19 Defense and a measly 4 Intellect.

In the Might skill tree, you want three points of Heroism (+6 attack), three points of Resistance (+5 defense), 3 points of Caution (+3 defense and bonus on first turn). Then there is the Power of the Spirit in the Mind tree (currently I only have one point of it, which gives +1 to attack and defense).

Then of course there are equipped items, which currently for me are giving at least another 8 points of defense, which I am prioritising given that it is a no losses game.

Elwin
11-24-2009, 09:35 AM
ITs Ok as it is .. you dont have it as a choice but is not as random it was ... like in KBL if u planned to int mage you have to have luck ..your plans will be scrwed since randomness will guve you only few int choices on level up ... here there is no such problem

Tibster
11-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Yes but that produced unic heroes , now at a certain point , all heroes will have the same runes , and therefore will be variations on a the ame theme.

If i mod hero.txt can i bring choises back ?

Granamyr
11-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I guess I was wondering if I'm supposed to be receiving anything except Leadership on level up because that's all I have gotten thus far? If it's random then apparently I just flipped a coin 16 times and got tails....if I'm to only get attack stats based on gear and the skill tree then I'm rather unlucky in the gear I'm seeing and certainly there are better choices than spending a ton of runes on Heroism (currently lvl 1 for me right now).

I'm playing a "minimal losses" game and can count the number of casualty rounds on one hand and already have the applicable medal at level 3. Still, I'm shocked that my stats are all still in the single digits.

DGDobrev
11-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Well, in this game leadership and runes is all you get. But rest assured, those two are more than enough.

Zechnophobe
11-24-2009, 05:18 PM
The way that I think about it, is that they have integrated the choice of stats, with your other skills. This further distinguishes between the classes, because your rune spread effects which stats you can level up. Playing as a warrior, you will focus on getting more rage and stats than anything else. Further more, the 'choice' on level up was rarely interesting. Leadership after a point was *always* the best thing to choose, and every when else, it would often be a very functional rage or mana increase, vs a minor stat bump. +1 defense, or +4 mana for a mage? Gee.