PDA

View Full Version : Mass Sacrifice vs no-loss strategies

km2
10-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I was playing as a mage through KB and for about half the game I was doing the usual Inquisitor thing with trying to keep all my units resurrected before end of battle and minimising losses etc. At some point I got frustrated with having to run back to the various castles for the types of units I had, and switched over to an entirely Sacrifice focussed strategy. I dropped the stack of Inquisitors and just bought the cheapest hitpoints with infinite stock I could find (nonsense critters like Miners, Peasants etc 10000 of them loaded into my reserve), and every battle I'd take massive losses but I'd Sacrifice away most of the stack to replenish my real force of not-too-tough-but-hard-hitting creatures. If I'm feeling particularly kind I'd cast Peacefulness first to reduce their loss, but they were so cheap that it often wasn't worth the mana. For me this freedom of not worrying about losing units at all opened up the world of:

1. Get their biggest stack to whack my low defense stack
2. Pygmy their stack
3. Pain Mirror/Pain Mirror/Pain Mirror carnage (had high inititive from Demonesses that would let me effectively cast 4 spells in a row between the end of one turn and the beginning of the next)
4. Towards the end of the battle sacrifice nearly all the Peasants to restore my other useful stacks up to strength.

Time Back could have been used here as well, but I found I didn't generally have enough rage developed to pull it off early. If the battle was a tough one, I wouldn't worry about Sacrificing during that round but would go and find a sucker fight afterwards where I could get on with my Sacrificing without facing any serious challenge.

Now from what I've read on here people seem to see Sacrifice as a cheese spell, but is there any better way to go with the Mage?

bucazaurus
10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
One stack+ glot armor+armageddon .

km2
10-30-2009, 11:40 PM
One stack+ glot armor+armageddon .

That's the kind of cheese strategy tip I like, thanks! I remember Black Dragons + Armageddon from the HOMM2 days, but I must try it in KB sometime.