PDA

View Full Version : Attacking large Bomber formations

Soviet Ace
10-30-2009, 03:14 AM
Before I go off to bed, I decided to get some BOP in and play some training. Well I was doing my usual routine of flying Yaks or La's, and dogfighting FWs. But then I got bored of that, and hopped into a Il-2M, and challenged 16 He-111s and then after that, a formation of 16 B-17s (which was much more chaotic).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had used Il's or other ground attack planes against bombers, online or offline. Personally, I think it's a interesting idea, and would have been cool to see something like that happen. But considering the Il-s are crazy strong with their armor. It's kinda unfair, but their weapons being the way they are make up for it in away. So discuss about your events of using ground attack planes against bombers, and whatever else.

Goodnight.

FOZ_1983
10-30-2009, 03:23 AM
I used the IL10 a couple of times because it has so much armour, but the B17's are crazy, they dont stay in formation and they get wreckless flying like fighters. Takes alot of the fun out of it for me im afraid :(

Irishmandkg
10-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Before I go off to bed, I decided to get some BOP in and play some training. Well I was doing my usual routine of flying Yaks or La's, and dogfighting FWs. But then I got bored of that, and hopped into a Il-2M, and challenged 16 He-111s and then after that, a formation of 16 B-17s (which was much more chaotic).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had used Il's or other ground attack planes against bombers, online or offline. Personally, I think it's a interesting idea, and would have been cool to see something like that happen. But considering the Il-s are crazy strong with their armor. It's kinda unfair, but their weapons being the way they are make up for it in away. So discuss about your events of using ground attack planes against bombers, and whatever else.

Goodnight.

I wish I could take on some B-17s. One of my favorite planes and I don't really feel like winning 50 strike games. Also no one plays that online so it makes it even more hard to unlock. I can't stand it when devs make u unlock planes by playing online. My one complaint with this game.

Raw Kryptonite
10-31-2009, 12:22 AM
I use an IL2-M any chance I get. Tough as nails when going after bombers and getting shot at, also pretty hard to bring down. Really love them in CTA. Cover your own tail and then sit on the runway giving other landing planes a hard time manning the rear gun with the plane pointed the right direction. ;)
It's like a WWII A-10, just a lot of fun. I even love the blindspots with the armor to the sides of the cockpit. :-P

Dubbedinenglish
10-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Try using the A-20. The quad nose guns lay waste to other bombers.

kozzm0
10-31-2009, 09:39 AM
One of the Korsun campaign missions if you remember had something similar, using an IL-10 to attack Ju-52's, though they have very little firepower in that mission.

I've been practicing against bombers using fighters and limited ammo, mainly to improve my aim by setting up and maintaining weave attacks. I've used IL-2's for a few of them though it's not quite fast enough to stay ahead of them with an up/down weave.

What I hate about fighting bombers in training is they don't act like bombers, they turn and attack you. Makes it much harder to get at them from the side or front. Realistically, if a bomber does that, it's failed its mission cause it broke formation and abandoned its target. I hope they fix it.

to make limited ammo training more interesting, if I run out of ammo I go and land before respawning. The bombers actually follow and drop bombs on the runway.

PantherAttack2
10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Usually when I fight against bombers, they break up, but I've never seen them acting like fighters before. (they break formation, but keep level and in a straight path)