PDA

View Full Version : A new Stick issue/question.

Fig
10-26-2009, 05:09 AM
So I too am an RC pilot and having issues with the sticks being the wrong mode. Frankly, this isn't the first time either. I had Aces of the Pacific for the Xbox, and to even make that game remotely playable, I had to buy a flight stick. It wasn't cheap, and unfortunately the 360 came out soon after, and it's been collecting dust ever since. The sad part is I can't even use it on the 360..

Now to the "new" part of this. I know I too am eagerly awaiting the patch, but it occurred to me, why are we waiting for the game manufacturer to come out with a patch to remap buttons/sticks. Why can't Microsoft do that on the console? If the console would allow you to remap your joysticks and buttons at a hardware level, all of the games could be remapped to whatever configuration works for you. I don't see how handling input from the controllers can't be "rewired" at the same level as say the tcp/ip settings. You have a configuration screen with two pictures of the controller. The first is the default, and the second is where you have remapped everything. It wouldn't be hard to swap all stick0 input with stick1, button0 with buttonX at an OS level.

Anyone have any connections with Microsoft? How about the game developers? Let's put the console to work for us.

Ancient Seraph
10-26-2009, 07:01 AM
So I too am an RC pilot and having issues with the sticks being the wrong mode. Frankly, this isn't the first time either. I had Aces of the Pacific for the Xbox, and to even make that game remotely playable, I had to buy a flight stick. It wasn't cheap, and unfortunately the 360 came out soon after, and it's been collecting dust ever since. The sad part is I can't even use it on the 360..

Now to the "new" part of this. I know I too am eagerly awaiting the patch, but it occurred to me, why are we waiting for the game manufacturer to come out with a patch to remap buttons/sticks. Why can't Microsoft do that on the console? If the console would allow you to remap your joysticks and buttons at a hardware level, all of the games could be remapped to whatever configuration works for you. I don't see how handling input from the controllers can't be "rewired" at the same level as say the tcp/ip settings. You have a configuration screen with two pictures of the controller. The first is the default, and the second is where you have remapped everything. It wouldn't be hard to swap all stick0 input with stick1, button0 with buttonX at an OS level.

Anyone have any connections with Microsoft? How about the game developers? Let's put the console to work for us.
Athough I like the idea, it would involve Microsoft working on something without directly making money with it. So I'm guessing this won't happen.

Draupnir2
10-26-2009, 10:43 AM
I had the same problem as you beeing an RC pilot.
X360 system remapping is a good idea, but as mentioned above i doubt it will ever happen.

However, to do the rewiring yourself isnt too difficult. It just involves cutting 4 PCB tracks and soldering on 4 straps.

You could even attempt to wire up your PC stick as I did:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=10528

Ancient Seraph
10-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I had the same problem as you beeing an RC pilot.
X360 system remapping is a good idea, but as mentioned above i doubt it will ever happen.

However, to do the rewiring yourself isnt too difficult. It just involves cutting 4 PCB tracks and soldering on 4 straps.

You could even attempt to wire up your PC stick as I did:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=10528

This is actually featured in the update. Not sure how advanced it will be though, but I'm pretty sure it'll involve switching joystick functions.

Doktorwzzerd
10-26-2009, 12:24 PM
athough i like the idea, it would involve microsoft working on something without directly making money with it. So i'm guessing this won't happen.

quoted for truth!!!!:-P

Fig
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Athough I like the idea, it would involve Microsoft working on something without directly making money with it. So I'm guessing this won't happen.

Sorry about the long rant, but here goes.

See, you are spinning this the wrong way. They could use this as an advertisement and generate sales, thereby making money. While it may seem minor at first, how many times have you seen the comment "on the pc we can map the buttons however we want" as they look down their nose on console games. It is constantly used to set the PC above consoles as a superior gaming platform. And rightly so.

I think you are brushing this under the rug too fast. Let me say this again, just to make Aces of the Pacific playable, I went out and bought a Xbox 1st Gen flightstick at the tune of somewhere in the $100+ range and then had to pay overseas shipping. It wasn't a cheap affair. You have a group of people who if they want to play this type of game are willing to spend money but continue to be forced back to the PC due to a simple control issue. While I realize that the patch is supposed to fix that issue and I commend 1C for even acknowledging it and taking the initiative to work on it, there are other flying games that are in a nutshell "useless" to me. As others have said, just remapping your brain isn't an option. I have been flying RC planes for 20 years, and in real planes for even longer. This is just as big an issue as inverted Y axis, and if I recall, Xbox touted on the 360 that you could invert it in the console, and it would be inverted for all games. You wouldn't have to go into each game and invert. It was a selling point.

This is the first game other than Forza 2 where I have actually seen the company that makes it talk to the users and affect a change to the game. Myself, I have no more chances of getting an email through to someone on Microsoft's Xbox platform than I do trying to email Bill Gates himself, but the game developers must have a contact, a group of Xbox developers that they could get in touch with and suggest this. It's a direct benefit for their game so they would have some incentive.

I spend a lot of money on games. At one point I had 5 Xbox'es, and soon after 4 360's in my house all running Live. Most of my kids have grown and moved on, but I still have 2 360's at home, and like I said, have spent a ridiculous amount of money over time. There's money to be had here, you just will not see it the second it's put online.

Ancient Seraph
10-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm all up for the idea, really am. I wish you good luck with suggesting it to MS (this sounds more sarcastic than I mean it, sorry).
It would be a bit confusing though..

Fig
10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
My hope would be that someone like Anton would see this, and be able to "suggest" this to Microsoft. I was trying to say that I wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting this suggestion to someone who might be able to actually act on it. I guess I didn't do a good job of making that clear.

We know Microsoft is still working on the OS level as we just had a dashboard update not too long ago, and a total revamp of the dashboard for that matter what about a year ago?

El_Luz
10-27-2009, 01:35 PM
I've purchased the Game to in the hope of the remapping-Update... Please priorize this issue - It makes me sad to look at my box and wait for the update...

Is there a tutorial to mod/solder a xbox pad for 'mode2'? Any 3rd Party solution right now?

Draupnir2
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM
I've purchased the Game to in the hope of the remapping-Update... Please priorize this issue - It makes me sad to look at my box and wait for the update...

Is there a tutorial to mod/solder a xbox pad for 'mode2'? Any 3rd Party solution right now?

Its not really a tutorial, but you will get a lot of hints on how to mod a stick swap: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=10528

Ancient Seraph
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=10528&highlight=project)'s a thread by Draupnir, describing how he modded a flightstick to work with the 360. Don't think this thread will help you, but you could contact the guy to ask for help, or post in that thread.
It was the most relevant I could find :).

EDIT: Lol Draupnir, nice timing :P

Draupnir2
10-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Here (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=10528&highlight=project)'s a thread by Draupnir, describing how he modded a flightstick to work with the 360. Don't think this thread will help you, but you could contact the guy to ask for help, or post in that thread.
It was the most relevant I could find :).

EDIT: Lol Draupnir, nice timing :P

Yes ! We where totally in phase with our responses :)

El_Luz: Feel free to ask questions, and I will gladly assist you.
Pay attention to the link to the PCB layout in my HOTAS thread, its very useful.

Good luck !

SEE
10-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the technical info and the schematic Link, I was going to do this myself and you have saved me a lot of time by providing the info. I have a spare Cyborg 3D and just bought a wired controller (very cheap off Ebay) to build my own stck for the xbox. Many thanks again.............:grin:

Draupnir2
10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the technical info and the schematic Link, I was going to do this myself and you have saved me a lot of time by providing the info. I have a spare Cyborg 3D and just bought a wired controller (very cheap off Ebay) to build my own stck for the xbox. Many thanks again.............:grin:

Good to see someone else attempting to build their own flightgear for X360 :)

Please post some pictures in progress if you have the time. It might inspire more DIY projects !

Good luck !

SEE
10-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I've already modded the AV8R by adding and re locating new switches closer to the throttle where i can use them with my thumb (invalidates the guarantee but at least its more user friendly). The Cyborg is a more rugged design and all the switches are ergonomically located........let you know how it comes along.