PDA

View Full Version : Il 2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey-Game vs reality!!!

TonyPilot
09-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi,
"Il-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey" is a great game ok. However, I think,
which like all the games that simulate the piloting of an aircraft,
in mode "simulation",are "overly" complicated to manage.
The "player" pilot has not available all the piloting gears,
to correct the altitude, pitch, roll etc..and the "real" panoramic view
to navigate and orienting itself, and overall, the experience
that has a "real"pilot.
Infact, if you see some video of IIWW dogfight with guncamera,you can observe
that the plane ora "more" stable respect the planes in the "game" during the
combat. When you play you can see, especially in the sim mode,that the plane
is "to much" instable (too pitch and too roll) as if the plane was in the very
midst of a constant "turbulence".
Then I find it useless, in the game, overloaded difficulty
to piloting an airplane, because it is impossible in a console's game,
actually simulate the real piloting of an airplane.
So, I find that the mode "arcade" is the most suitable,
ultimately, to simulate reality. ?!?!:(

mattd27
09-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah I have that problem too, I plane always seem to be pitching and rolling, even if I've set the trim. Like you said it's like your plane is constantly in turbulence.

I haven't had as much experience in sim as others, so is this a game problem, or am I doing something wrong?

Ancient Seraph
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, the reason that the real aircraft seem to fly much smoother is because there's actual pilots piloting them, and on a console you have no feel for the airplane. This way you can't correct turbulence etc. until after you notice your attitude changed. In an airplane you'll feel this right away.
It's true it's impossible to perfectly simulate flying at home, but sim mode is definitely the closest you can get (especially on a console) :).

Steyr_amr
09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Also remember these aren't the PA-28s and Cessnas we're used to pottering about in, they're ~ 1,500hp, heavy, vintage death machines.

Also what Ancient Seraph said, you can feel a gust or bump affect the plane and adjust to lessen it's influence on your attitude, whereas you cant in the game.

Liken it to Gran Turismo, they can put all the maths and physics in the game they wish and come out with a fantastic, authentic game which I love, but you can't 'feel' how much grip the car has or the forces acting through the steering wheel like in a real car.

TonyPilot
09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I am of the opinion that, given the inability to reproduce the "feeling" of piloting an airplane into a game for console or PC, it would be better, at least in the "mod simulator”, worrying more about the effects of the shots of machine guns (and/or flak!) on the plane and the influence of weather (wind, rain, air pockets, turbulence,etc. ...).
Moreover, the "player" play the “role” of a fighter pilot “trained” to fly and not any "dude" that goes on a fighter for the first time and pretend to piloting it.
Or not?

Wayfindre
09-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. The best thing about BoP is the games authentic physics and aerodynamics. There are three modes of realism for a reason and they cater to each persons interest in the game. I for one was extremely pleased to see a flying game where an airplane actually behaves like an airplane. I've always disliked most other flight games on console for the simple fact that you never have to "fly" your airplane. You simply steer it around with complete disregard for physical laws of reality. If all I wanted to do was shoot then there are plenty of shooters for that. I like those games too. However, having to actually aviate as well as fight is what makes this game the most successful and rewarding flight "sim" on the present gen consoles. I have lots of flight time in Cessnas, Diamond aircraft, Piper's, Jetstream 32 and CRJ 200. Let me tell you, without autopilot engaged, you never stop making adjustments, even with all three types of trim properly set.

The only problem therein is that in the aircraft you can make much finer adjustments with your contraols than you are able to using a simple gamepad or flight stick.

haitch40
09-30-2009, 02:44 PM
it doesnt happen to me as long as i set my trim but then again ive only played sim once

JoNnY AnDrEwS
09-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Stop bloody whinging.

TonyPilot
09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I think, anyway, that is more easy to drive a "real" car, bike, motorcycle or airplane ...whatever you want, that the "counterpart" in an "unnecessarily hyper-simulative" game!

Ancient Seraph
09-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I think, anyway, that is more easy to drive a "real" car, bike, motorcycle or airplane ...whatever you want, that the "counterpart" in an "unnecessarily hyper-simulative" game!

What's your point? If you don't want to play the game, don't. If you want to play Arcade, play Arcade.

TonyPilot
09-30-2009, 04:37 PM
What to do with it. I love this game and simulation games in general;
but not these games do not lend themselves to criticism, weaknesses to
improve them by analize.

mdbuehler
09-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Like others said, it just doesn't "translate" completely from the real world into a video game. That, and despite what you see on the screen, what you are doing really has about zero in common with the "real thing" . I raced motorcycles for years, but struggled a lot with on-bike Motogp / same with cars and karts but Forza was a trick too. You get none of the tactile input when you play a game, not to mention no peripheral vision, g sensations, sense of location in space, etc.

Force feed back, those head tracking sets etc are closing the gap, but until a a driver / rider / pilot can sit down at the console and not miss a beat transitioning, we'll have to live with the compromises.

That said, this game by far is the closest to real flying of any I've played on a console! Love the fact you don't fly circles forever chasing each other like in BF1942 :)

fritzwendel
09-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I usually change my trim settings when I change my speed; I think the trim changes when your speed changes, hence a need to adjust.

Maybe this isn't the case, but it seems to work for me.

I just wish the game had red out/black out, instead of the annoying "stall" warning in realistic. You can gauge the severity of a maneuver with the red/blackout happening to your screen, but that "stall" warning pops up if you are just getting heavy on the stick, even if the maneuver isn't going to end in a stall.

Other than that, I like the challenge the game presents, given the limits the controller puts on the sim experience.

Maybe you should look up "storm of war"; from what you've posted, that game will probably cater to your needs better when it comes out.

For me, the minor gripes pale in comparison to what this game delivers.

Ancient Seraph
09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
What to do with it. I love this game and simulation games in general;
but not these games do not lend themselves to criticism, weaknesses to
improve them by analize.

I'm generally ok at understanding people, even if they don't use correct grammar, but I can't make a whole lot of this. Are you trying to say that IL2 doesn't handle criticism well? In that case, take a better look at the forum, lots of people criticizing, and something's actually done about it.

akuma
09-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I agree that sim mode is way too bouncy for my liking and to simulate real flight.

I've had a few trial lessons both in light aircraft and helicopters, I also have 15 hours in gliders so I have a reasonable idea about what it takes to fly real planes without calling myself a pilot as that would be a stretch.

That said I do like sim mode as it takes away the big cheat arrows and pad locks.

GabeFan
09-30-2009, 05:51 PM
That said I do like sim mode as it takes away the big cheat arrows...

Fully disabling the HUD in arcade mode should get rid of the "cheat arrows" too, I think...