Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM
irR4tiOn4L irR4tiOn4L is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKUD View Post
Some day you'll be glad they didn't build the graphics engine to meet a GTX 260 spec.
I'm glad today. Everytime I see the rows upon rows of buildings in London or other cities, the objects, roads, rivers, fields and so forth on the ground, the reflections and shadows on the aircraft and the various holes and damage when you hit them, I am oh so glad that the game was designed with maximum visual fidelity in mind.

Yes, I do wish some simple things were changed for improved performance. The density of cloud, dust and splash effects is unnecessary and optional reduced density versions could be introduced with a great fps gain, like the mods that already do this. Tree impacts would add immensely to the immersion and danger of crash landings and low level flying, given that crash landing in a forest is no thang at the moment.

There are even things I wish were more detailed. The rendering of various types of clouds, the colour of the ground and shades of green used, anti aliasing and most of all, the ability to see many more bullet impact decals/holes.

But all in all, very flew flight simulators look this good and I greatly appreciate the fact that I don't need to choose between FM and visual fidelity like I would if I had chosen to play Battle of Britain 2, IL2 1946, Falcon 4 or other outstanding sims.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Volksieg Volksieg is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Berkshire UK
Posts: 348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irR4tiOn4L View Post
......the colour of the ground and shades of green used....
I will say I agree with everything you wrote in that post apart from the above. Reason I say that is because, for a long time, I kept thinking that the shades of green used in the UK were all wrong.......... then I found myself on top of a fairly tall hill awhile back, looked out across the land and thought to myself "Whaddya know? Looks like nature has been using the wrong shades of green too."

They've actually got the colouring pretty spot on. As much as I love my country, I know this "Green & Pleasant land" is never going to look as pretty as Cyrodiil did in Oblivion. (At least not without a little "help"..... but I'm a 37 year old dad and my festival days are long over. lol)

As far as DCS A-10C Warthog vs Cliffs of Dover is concerned...... sure... it is nice to have a fully working sim. Problem is that, the few times I did fly DCS, I couldn't shake the idea I was flying a sim. Cliffs of Dover? After awhile of flying around on the ACG server in my 109..... I AM a luftwaffe pilot! (Well... at least until my son starts squawking or the missus offers me a cup of tea. lol)

Last edited by Volksieg; 04-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 Fulqrum Publishing. All rights reserved.