![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
i see not a lot of ppl seem to know Freespace 2 the epic space sim from 1999, perhaps the best produced game i've seen; outstanding visuals for its time, full weapons and wing customization, detailed wing management that was key to win though missions, fabulous voice acting and OST, fantastic story and campaign, the kind of narrative that makes you wonder what's out there. with one of the strongest modding communities ever and still in active, game engine upgraded from dx6 to dx9 when it went open source, lots of new effects, HDR, high poly models, its new visuals stand even today... it's a shame it never sold well in spite of massively positive reviews, but poor marketing effort and lack of distribution didn't help either; so there went Freespace 3... but its legacy is still here today. |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
IMHO the more open ended Wing Commander Privateer was the best of the series in terms of playability.
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
I couldn't guess how many hours I spent on the WC series. But it was a blast in it's day. Tried this version for a little bit and I am pretty impressed. Runs great. Visuals are excellent. So far no problems. If the campaign plays out like it's supposed to I'd hope for more. It would be a worthwhile purchase in the future should the makers continue.
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Wing Commander Saga is free to play! Suggest everyone try it out. Lot's of work from people nice enough to share it for free.
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
I was just watching the other day WC3 videos and thinking how cool it was back in the day. A modern makeover is epic
|
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
This is truly an amazing piece of work.. "piece" not really doing it justice. Ten years in the making and at a massive 3.3GB download with 50 missions, 70 cut-scenes, 60 voice actors and dozens of fighter and cap ships, it's almost over flowing with content and certainly blew my mind just how good a game it is for a fan-made free game!!!!
I remember playing the first WC series way-back-when, on a 286, and upgrading for each release up until the finale WC4 when I had a 486 with SB Pro. I think from memory I even had a dedicated video decoder card back then! If you loved X-Wing or the original WC series you owe it to your self to give this a download. They combined the WC universe with its ground breaking story telling, with the Freespace2 engine, throw in a bit of spice with X-wing type missions and tactics, some massive cap ship battles with all new missions... Its everything old WC fans wanted and more from a sequel!!! |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Graphics are actually very reminiscent of the RTS "Sins of a Solar Empire".
Might give it a try. |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
+1
__________________
Gigabyte Z68 Intel 2500K (@4.3 ghz)212 CM Cooler 8GB Ram EVGA 660SC (super clocked) 2GB Vram CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W 64 GB SSD SATA II HD WIN7 UL 64BIT |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|