Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
bongodriver's Avatar
bongodriver bongodriver is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
the best move would be to declare the independence of the Islands, it would relax foreign relations and be an example that Great Britain could use in further diplomatic situations.
In theory Argentina has more of a right than Britain to own the islands because of historical and obvious geographical reasons, the British colonisation of the island doesn't justify for its sovereignty. Or shall we let a few thousand people decide for the foreign policy of a country? Truth is that the area has a lot of potential in terms of oil drilling, that's why none of the sides wants to let go of it..
Ok you explain that to the people that live there (they really do matter)

in terms of who has a right to whatever........Argentina should belong to the local indigenous tribes.....oh wait....they're all dead because of Spanish colonisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
isolated element? War banter is common to every layer of British society mate, from working class low income football fans to Prince Harry..
BS.....pure and simple, Brit bashing is just 'en vogue' for some reason, any 'war banter' that happens here is no different to the 'roast beefs' or 'crazy tea drinkers' banter that everyone else indulges in.

I love the way your topics always involve a 'I love the UK....but'
__________________


Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
  #2  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Sternjaeger II Sternjaeger II is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Ok you explain that to the people that live there (they really do matter)
a land's sovereignty is not to be decided by who lives on it. According to your reasoning, the people that got evicted from Dale Farm should have been given the right to stay there because they've been (illegally) squatting there for years..
Quote:
in terms of who has a right to whatever........Argentina should belong to the local indigenous tribes.....oh wait....they're all dead because of Spanish colonisation.
that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The fact is that together with its independence, Argentina as it is now received in 1811 the Malvinas from Spain, but Argentinians were kicked out in 1833 because of a British majority on the island. So of course most of the population is of British descendant, this doesn't make it more British. Again, the Dale Farm analogy applies.
Plus hey, it's on the other bloody emisphere, bang in front of Argentina, so maybe it all looks a bit ridiculous and colonialist?
But then again the UK couldn't even let go of Ireland, preferring to shed innocents' blood to keep hold of that. How would you feel if someone from the other emisphere would come in front of our seas and claim the islands as theirs because there's a majority of foreigners living on those islands? Wouldn't you feel threatened and be suspicious about the other country?

Quote:
BS.....pure and simple, Brit bashing is just 'en vogue' for some reason, any 'war banter' that happens here is no different to the 'roast beefs' or 'crazy tea drinkers' banter that everyone else indulges in.

I love the way your topics always involve a 'I love the UK....but'
Oh puh-lease!!! It's EVERYWHERE: TV, media, even in common language ("grammar-Nazi").. truth is that it's considered a tongue-in-cheek topic, and for some reason having been among the winner means that one should feel entitled to endlessly talk about it.

And yes, I love this country, I abide by its laws, I pay the taxes, I contribute to my community, and if there's something that is not good or could be improved I voice my opinion for the sake of the country itself. I am a better person since I live here, because I know there's the moral grounds for a better society, I never thought the same of my own country.
The fact that I'm of foreign origins doesn't mean I'm less of a citizen, so stop playing that card with me Bongo.

Last edited by Sternjaeger II; 02-20-2012 at 01:27 PM.
  #3  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
bongodriver's Avatar
bongodriver bongodriver is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
a land's sovereignty is not to be decided by who lives on it. According to your reasoning, the people that got evicted from Dale Farm should have been given the right to stay there because they've been (illegally) squatting there for years..
Really?......so a country can just invade another rightfully because the inhabitants have no right of sovereignty......interesting point of view.

The Dale farm residents were evicted because they were there 'illegally'....hence why they were evicted.......ever heard of planning permission? they should have been evicted earlier but in this over beaurocratic country things take forever to process.

Quote:
that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The fact is that together with its independence, Argentina as it is now received in 1811 the Malvinas from Spain, but Argentinians were kicked out in 1833 because of a British majority on the island. So of course most of the population is of British descendant, this doesn't make it more British. Again, the Dale Farm analogy applies.
Plus hey, it's on the other bloody emisphere, bang in front of Argentina, so maybe it all looks a bit ridiculous and colonialist?
it makes perfect sense, by your own logic the islands never belonged to the Spanish to give away in the first place.....they were very different times mate.

Quote:
Oh puh-lease!!! It's EVERYWHERE: TV, media, even in common language ("grammar-Nazi").. truth is that it's considered a tongue-in-cheek topic, and for some reason having been among the winner means that one should feel entitled to endlessly talk about it.
There you go confusing Germans with Nazis again

Quote:
And yes, I love this country, I abide by its laws, I pay the taxes, I contribute to my community, and if there's something that is not good or could be improved I voice my opinion for the sake of the country itself. I am a better person since I live here, because I know there's the moral grounds for a better society, I never thought the same of my own country.
The fact that I'm of foreign origins doesn't mean I'm less of a citizen, so stop playing that card with me Bongo.
I already mentioned my heritage before, no cards being played here.
__________________


Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
  #4  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Sternjaeger II Sternjaeger II is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Really?......so a country can just invade another rightfully because the inhabitants have no right of sovereignty......interesting point of view.

The Dale farm residents were evicted because they were there 'illegally'....hence why they were evicted.......ever heard of planning permission? they should have been evicted earlier but in this over beaurocratic country things take forever to process.

it makes perfect sense, by your own logic the islands never belonged to the Spanish to give away in the first place.....they were very different times mate.
Bongo, don't twist the facts to your advantage...


Quote:
There you go confusing Germans with Nazis again
  #5  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Sternjaeger II Sternjaeger II is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,903
Default

you just simply, stubbornly don't want to understand what we're saying. It's not the first time, nor it won't be the last, especially when it comes to question the unquestionable United Kingdom.. ironically it's this denial that does more harm than good to this wonderful country..

Anyway, I'm happy with the "agree to disagree" formula..
  #6  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
bongodriver's Avatar
bongodriver bongodriver is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
you just simply, stubbornly don't want to understand what we're saying. It's not the first time, nor it won't be the last, especially when it comes to question the unquestionable United Kingdom.. ironically it's this denial that does more harm than good to this wonderful country..

Anyway, I'm happy with the "agree to disagree" formula..
What is it we are denying?

Quote:
Bongo, don't twist the facts to your advantage...
Facts are facts.....where did I twist them, you said in plain english..

Quote:
a land's sovereignty is not to be decided by who lives on it
I'm not stubborn, I'm just not convinced in any way by what you are saying.

I am happy to agree to disagree too, hence why I'm here disagreeing....if you promise to stop 'Brit bashing' then I promise to stop disagreeing with you....hows that?
__________________


Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
  #7  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
bongodriver's Avatar
bongodriver bongodriver is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
There you go confusing Germans with Nazis again
What I meant by this is........surely there is nothing bad about using the term nazi for a form of derogation, you seem to assume that any time a phrase involving the word Nazi what is really meant is German.......this is just not the case.......no such phrase as 'Grammar German'

or are you really just trying to defend Nazis......I'm confused now
__________________


Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition

Last edited by bongodriver; 02-20-2012 at 05:04 PM.
  #8  
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM
ATAG_Dutch ATAG_Dutch is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,793
Default

Ok chaps, here's a thought.

Hugo Sperrle was in charge of Luftflotte 3, and 'responsible' for the Nov 14th 1940 raid on Coventry.

'The raid reached such a new level of destruction that Joseph Goebbels later used the term Coventriert ("Coventrated") when describing similar levels of destruction of other enemy towns. During the raid, the Germans dropped about 500 tonnes of high explosives, including 50 parachute air-mines, of which 20 were incendiary petroleum mines, and 36,000 incendiary bombs.'

Hugo Sperrle was aquitted at Nuremburg.

Should the British campaign to have this verdict overturned?

Of course not.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 02-20-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: thought i'd better specify the year!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 Fulqrum Publishing. All rights reserved.