Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

Default Arcade, Realistic, Sim

As an avid player of IL-2 Forgotten Battles 'full realism' historic server matches, I thought that I'd love sim mode in this new game; however, I can't stand it.

Don't get me wrong: I love the graphics and the missions but I just find that the game becomes more a case of micro managing a 360 pad than mastering virtual aircraft when I play sim mode.

If sim mode had padlock view, I'd probably play it more but I much prefer realistic at present because I can concentrate more on flying whilst maintaining a degree of realism. I just hate the fact that the buttons aren't remappable and you have to press that silly thumb stick down to look around - the same thumb stick which controls throttle and rudder.

Anyway, whilst this post might look like a complaint, it isn't really. I'm just stating an opinion on my prefered game play - I actually love the game on 'realistic'.

I'm just wondering which mode other people prefer to play? I'll stick to 'full realism' on the PC version where I can customise key settings etc. more effectively.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

Incidentally, I will probably persevere with sim mode at some point. I'm just having too much fun with realistic mode presently.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Approved Member

I've been playing Arcade mode the most. I turn off all the HUD info and fly in cockpit view and it's great fun!! I'm quite surprised how much I enjoy arcade. I'm working my way up the ladder, although I don't have a flightstick so I'm not sure how much SIM mode I'll be playing yet...

Last edited by GabeFan; 09-21-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Approved Member

I've never played a sim before this but I LOVE sim mode, particularly in MP. Even when playing in realistic, I don't use the padlock feature, as I'm so used to looking around with the hatswitch now it feels far more natural and immersive. Spotting and taking out someone in sim is just so much fun.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

For online matches, Sim is the only way to go. Realistic mode makes it impossible to employ strategies such as hiding in clouds or low to the ground because the enemy always has a big arrow showing where you are.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 AM
Approved Member

Realistic for me at least so far. Sim would really be perfect if you could use the target camera or if the "next target" feature could be turned off in Realistic because it is fun to try to find your enemy and even more fun to lose one in the clouds!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Approved Member

What's with all the people in Sim, suddenly having dogfights in the clouds. Seriously, I go flying through, and even though I'm blinded by the clouds, I at times see planes chasing one another inside the clouds, not just zipping in and out, but actually staying inside the clouds? Has anyone else gone up against this? Because it's kinda pissing me off.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Approved Member

I play arcade since i want to have fun, realistic and sim are nice but not with a 360 controller.
On pc i would play sim yes but not on 360.
And it seems my 40inch tv would be to small to spot enemies anyway....
Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

I am loving sim mode as well. Finished the campaign in sim and really enjoyed the challenge of picking out targets and just having to be looking all the time, not just targeting. Doing most of the single missions in sim as well. I agree with sim mode online as well as you can hide and strategize, much more enjoyable, but I wont complain about flying a realistic game
Old 09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

Whenever I play sim mode I find that the only way to find targets is to keep looking at the map where they are represented by little dots that helpfully move around. Whilst this is more difficult than in realistic where you have the padlock view it actually feels far less realistic and ruins the sense of immersion far more effectively.