Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Approved Member

Default Config Optimization, Joystick and Keyboard Usage

I'm new to IL-2. I've followed the guide on mission4today to get the config file optimized for the best graphics, but that was done using the 4.09m version. I iteratively upgraded to the 4.11.1 patch using the all-at-once 4.10.1 patch, the 4.11m patch, the 4.11 beta hotfix, and finally the 4.11.1 patch. I read on on post that the config file was updated at some point, which means that my formerly perfected quality graphics config file is now outdated without several of the new lines. Does anyone have a perfect quality graphics version of the 4.11.1 config file that they would like to share?

I have a Cyborg Gold USB joystick. It has enough buttons for X-Wing Alliance, Fly2K, and Tie Fighter Collector's edition. There are no downloads available for 64-bit OSes. I use Win7 Professional x64. Do you know of any OS tweaks, patches to the controller software, apps, or virtual environments that I can use to get the controller operational?

IL-2 starting out does not have keyboard or controller binding defaults for several of the commands, especially the newer ones. Since I have no experience in the game, I do not know what would work best for me, so I want something to at least start to work off of, even though I will change the settings when I gain more experience. Could someone share their entire keyboard bindings list?

I understand that to fully control every aspect of the game, I will need a rudder set with a wheel brake, possibly a HOTAS throttle, and a joystick or yoke compatible with my operating system (this page contains a thorough guide on how to choose each peripheral); alternatively, I could stay with a slightly newer joystick and get a MIDI audio control panel and follow the guide on this site, but I do not know if that will eliminate the need for the control devices listed above. The only other option I can think of that would allow me to play the game at all would be to use my P990 gamepad. Thank you for any additional input you have on the subject.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Approved Member

More recent patches should have no effect upon your current graphic settings, other parts of conf.ini may have been updated, you will have to find and read the readme for each patch to get the exact details.
Test your joystick in win7's game controllers section, if you can see it working there, it should be ok in game, you set buttons etc. using controls section in game, the button for that is on the opening page (main menu) of game. Does your stick need drivers? Maybe they will install in 32bit compatability mode?
I'm not familiar with win7 x64 but if you have the game in the program file, it will prevent you from making changes that you will want to make, so copy IL2 to a folder such as C:\Games (or somesuch). There are no registry entries so it will work ok.

There are some people who learnt to fly using the keyboard and still do, not many mind! Stick and keyboard are fine to learn the game with, a fighter probably uses less than 10 buttons and they include the guns.

Best stick IMHO is M$ FFB2 which has force feedback and has other advantages, see sticky thread on page one of forum. They can sometimes be gotten for a song on flea bay and apart from the gun switches that are easily replaced if they fail, they are practically indistructable. Next get pedals, then track ir or freetrack which is a headtracker device that gives you the best way to look around, takes some getting used to and some never do and TIR also obscenely priced for what it is. I have one btw. Then throttle. Trick is to use what you have to the max first before lashing out on more gear, each new thing means you have to relearn how to fly, until you've adapted to it. There are people who use win7 x64 and play IL2 so your problems are solvable, let know how you're getting on. Welcome to the addiction and have fun!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

http://www-en.jtksoft.net/

This is a wonderful program I use in conjunction with my set-up. It's got a lot of features, like multiple key mappings to a single button, repeat options, repeat delays, you name it. I've found that I prefer using that for some things instead of the actual joystick functionality. For example, I prefer mapping the radiator to an analog axis for a bit more control, but I prefer prop pitch handled by the pitch up/down keys in 5 degree increments as opposed to an analog axis. Give it a shot and fiddle around with it, it's indispensable to me now for IL2 and some other games. For the record I have a Cougar HOTAS and the CH Products USB rudder pedals.