Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 10-11-2019, 01:59 AM
Approved Member

Default New Britain, New Guinea Map - Kadoka??

I have been working on a new mission on one of the New Britain, New Guinea maps but it is starting to hurt my head! Everytime I see the name “Kadoka” on the map where Kokoda is supposed to be it grates on me.

Now I’d like to say I really appreciate having this excellent set of New Britain, New Guinea maps, so thank you very much to the map makers. But ... as an Australian this brain-stutter spelling of Kokoda on each of them really grates.

The name “Kokoda” is like a sacred place name to Australians because the battle for the Kokoda Track is symbolic of the turning back of the Japanese on their march toward the Australian mainland in 1942, just like Stalingrad is symbolic of the turning back of the German march on the Soviet Union.

So imagine if Stalingrad was spelled as “Stigranlad” on the Stalingrad map. Now how wrong does that feel??

I don’t know how hard it is to change place names on maps, but that’s certainly one fix that would really be appreciated by Australians.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:33 AM
Approved Member

DIY: extract by PAL's SFS extractor a file named "texts" or such, inside a folder named "maps\NGNB_DT", then find the grating "Kadoka" and change it into "Kokoda", save. If the extractor can't find the above mentioned file at the above mentioned path, you must add the file with the complete path to extractor's filelist (maps\NGNB_DT\texts.txt - pls see intruction below). Now you must set your game for mods (if not yet set) and put the file with its proper path into a folder "mapmods" - that's to say:

C:\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\MODS\mapmods\maps\NGNB_DT\texts.txt

et voilà: you'll read "Kokoda"!

Instruction to add filenames to extractor's filelist:
In the SFS Extractor v3.1 you can also add lines.
We use a file "filelist.txt" in the extractor folder and in the program we click:
Tools ... Filelist Import (filelist.txt type) ...
Accept to save the additions by quitting the program!

In the filelist.txt the lines are like:
3do\flat\la-7\damage1o.tga
Old 01-17-2020, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the detailed pointers greybeard1.

I don't usually mod anything other than adding skins, but I'll give it some thought when I finish moving house!

It would still be nice if the Team could fix this for everyone in the official supported version though.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:21 AM
Approved Member

I thought to help you by making the mod. Actually, there were four texts files, and I was lucky enough to find their names already decrypted.

You can download it at the following address (obviously it requires a moddable version of 4.13.4, or the predisposition to modifications already offered by the stock version of 4.14.1):

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.p...c,63137.0.html
Old 02-03-2020, 10:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard1 View Post
I thought to help you by making the mod. Actually, there were four texts files, and I was lucky enough to find their names already decrypted.

You can download it at the following address (obviously it requires a moddable version of 4.13.4, or the predisposition to modifications already offered by the stock version of 4.14.1):

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.p...c,63137.0.html
Sorry for slow reply on this due to my house move. Thanks again greybeard1 for going to this trouble! Hopefully TD will follow suit for the official supported version.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Approved Member

will need to not forget about it a little closer to making of fix or patch... remind to me whet time will come...

Old 01-15-2021, 01:34 PM
Approved Member

Default Map Problems/Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
will need to not forget about it a little closer to making of fix or patch... remind to me whet time will come...
Hi Sita and the team, is it time to remind you yet? I don't know when is the right time.

Also, is the team aiming to fix some of the many functional problems in existing maps such as the NGNB and Solomon maps in the next patch?

For example, problems shown here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=230447

And here:

https://www.mission4today.com/index....wtopic&t=24819

I know you have a lot to do, but it would be nice to hear if you guys are working on these things.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:32 PM
Approved Member

How about Seiskari/Seskar islands in the Gulf of Finland and Ouren/Merhausen airfield AI in Ardennes? In the later, a lot of planes are unable to clear the hills surrounding the airfield.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:37 PM
Approved Member

Hello everyone,

I started checking and fixing airfields on NBNG maps. Please report here any other bug, for example:

- Salamaua airfield, March 1943 map, bug at northern takeoff point;

Missions already created may be affected and could need a revisions

Thanks
Old 01-23-2021, 10:13 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the reply _1SMV_Gitano.

It's great to hear that you are working on this!

Do I need to list the issues already mentioned in the links above, or are the links sufficient? I think it is probably better that you view the links directly, as some of the issues are already well described there, including screenshots.

And I am happy to trade messed up missions for improvements to the game any day!

Last edited by JacksonsGhost; 01-23-2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Additional Comment