Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 04-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Approved Member

Exclamation What would happen to men of war multiplayer without gamespy?

As some of us may know by now that GameSpy is shutting down on May 31.

So the question is what would happen to pass installment of the men of war series when it come to multiplayers sach as the original retail version of men of war as well as the steam version for others.

Not to mention the following series that might be affected due to gamespy shutdown.

Soldiers heroes of world war II
Faces of war
Men of war original
Men of war assault squad original
Men of war vietnam
Men of war condemned Heroes

A answer from a published or developer is needed for the retail and steam version as well as others version of the game.

I myself i'm concerned for the original retail version of men of war as my copy is not a steam version.

Note. This is posted at 1c and dms forum as there might be a different answers due to the fact of game developer from bestway to in house 1c development of the game as well as dms.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Approved Member

Default The information about men of war multiplayers

I have find the information in regards to my question about the men of war multiplayers.

From Steam community Posted by Instinct.
Quote:
Instinct [developer] 4 Apr @ 7:17pm
GameSpy is shutting down
GameSpy multiplayer service is shutting down at the 31st of May. After that you will not be able to play internet games through the inbuild multiplayer support. This affects all games from various developers that are based on GameSpy.

For Men of War and Men of War: Assault Squad we offer several solutions:
You can continue to play through LAN and DirectIP. (Set the IP in your multiplayer options and run LAN mode)

Alternatively, you can use GameRanger which is a 3rd party multiplayer games service that supports both games:
http://www.gameranger.com/games/

Due to technical reasons we are not able to provide Steamworks support to either game. We therefore recommend Men of War: Assault Squad 2, which also includes content of the first part.

The Steam store page will be updated accordingly soon.

Last edited by Instinct; 4 Apr @ 7:19pm
link to Steam post http://steamcommunity.com/app/64000/...8051069949847/

Instinct alternative is GameRanger. he are my alternative tunngle or Hamachi.

I would see if i can find a workaround to make men of war work the same way as before but for the meantime this are the option we have.

Last edited by SpeedWolf; 04-15-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedWolf View Post
Instinct alternative is GameRanger. he are my alternative tunngle or Hamachi.
MP is dead without GS

Last edited by BolliBomber; 04-18-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:44 AM
Approved Member

I find something that work like gamespy, https://www.evolvehq.com/ maybe there can give back live to multiplayers after is gone

Last edited by SpeedWolf; 04-20-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedWolf View Post
I find something that work like gamespy, https://www.evolvehq.com/ maybe there can give back live to multiplayers after is gone
Gamespy alternatives that dont require integration are no better than GameRanger. And since 1C wont lift a finger to patch out Gamespy and replace it with a better alternative.. Not like they ever cared. They stopped support for Vietnam three months after release, and Condemned Heroes didnt get even that much time. They just dont care anymore.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunsnotdead View Post
Gamespy alternatives that dont require integration are no better than GameRanger. And since 1C wont lift a finger to patch out Gamespy and replace it with a better alternative.. Not like they ever cared. They stopped support for Vietnam three months after release, and Condemned Heroes didnt get even that much time. They just dont care anymore.
This is not about lifting a finger, this is about months and months of re-programming the game. As in case with Men of War Assault Squad 2 - the developers decided to transfer the game from Gamespy to Steamworks and it took them several months to achieve it. Men of War engine was always using Gamespy and changing the multiplayer components is no easy task, please bear that in mind.

1C Company will release a statement about future support of multiplayer matches in the upcoming days.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Approved Member

I have been a very long and loyal fan of the men of war series from the time of soldier heroes of world war 2 but after so many set back of many expansion pack and my dislike of DMS management and poor conduct to long time fan of the series.

i am deeply saddened to see the end of multiplayer and because of that i would have no reason to continue making videos or mods for my beloved series.

it also very unlikely that i would move on to assault squad 2 as is just like with it predecessor the original assault squad have very bad performance online and just like it predecessor it have a copy and paste single player that cannot be call a real campaign from past installment of the series.

so to conclude.

after the gamespy shutdown and the multiplayer feature is no longer available i would be forced to retire from the series all together as i have no longer a reason to come back for it.

as it was the multiplayer feature that push me to make my men of war movie short and mods.

R.I.P.
Men Of War
2004-2014
You will be miss

Old 04-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Approved Member

Thanks SpeedWolf for the statement.

Totally agree.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Now that they have the majority of income from sales there is no need to bother creating a proper multiplayer system for their games.

All companies that dump their game onto Gamespy do it so they don't have to spend any more time updating the game and prevent themselves from having to do any work afterwards. Take a look at all C & C games made by EA. Gamespy garbage with 12 year old bugs.

Only franchises that built up a large fanbase that stayed due to good developers that bother to update their game over time will have an update to a new system.

Relic moved Company of Heroes over to Steam because they cared about it, shame about the digrace of a "sequel".

Binding a CD key to one gamespy account was a redundent system and inherently broken, you can only buy one copy for use on steam, lose access to that account and lose access to your game forever, so pathetic.

Glaring issues all across this series prevented it from becoming something great, it's just a paycheck to them.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

To Janys,

Do you have a update about original Men of war and original Men of war assault squad multiplayer?

as is have been more then 2 weeks from your last post on April 29.

Never the less for everyone else i have news about Men of War: Condemned Heroes and Men of War: Vietnam multiplayer.

Its seem Men of War: Condemned Heroes and Men of War: Vietnam multiplayer would be unaffected by the shutdown of gamespy on may 31 from the article.

but i don't know what that mean as it can mean two things.

One: the lobby run the same as before or Two: we have to use a third party software of GameRanger but that would be difficult and inconvenient a clear answer would be nice in this regard.

Thanks you.

This is where i get my information http://www.gameranger.com/news/ and http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...erver-shutdown

Quote from GameRanger
Quote:
Men of War: Condemned Heroes, Men of War: Vietnam on GameRanger.
These two Men of War games are now supported by GameRanger (their GameSpy servers were due to shut down May 31):
Men of War: Condemned Heroes
Men of War: Vietnam
A big thanks to 1C Publishing for their help getting these titles on board.
This update also stops Star Wars Battlefront II from crashing if you don't have an audio input device (eg. a microphone) plugged in. The bug is unrelated to GameRanger and happens in single player as well, but playing through GameRanger will now fix it.
Quote from EuroGamer
Quote:
Games soon to be supported by GameRanger include 1C Publishing's Men of War: Vietnam and Men of War: Condemned Heroes.

Last edited by SpeedWolf; 05-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.