Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 AM
Approved Member

Default Warning: This game is on the edge. Support it or watch it die.

Salute

If you haven't seen them already, the reviews in German gaming magazines, on Gamespot and PC Gamer have panned the game.

Maybe those reviews were deserved, but the fact is, if this game goes under, no one is going to suffer but us flight simmers.

All those posters on these boards who I see whining and complaining better understand something:

If this game goes under, you will have nothing to do but whine. No game, no development, NOTHING.

The only smart thing to do at this point is to support the developers, give them POSITIVE feedback on issues.

Don't harp on issues which have been mentioned a hundred times, there is no point.

Unless you WANT the game to fail.

I personally have bought a copy online, and will be buying another hard copy in the stores when it arrives.

DO NOT KID YOURSELF. THIS GAME IS ON THE EDGE.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Approved Member

We simmers will suffer, and some of us do harp on the devs too much, but that doesn't hurt them, lack of sales from their unfinished game can kill the them - thats not something that we are responsible for.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Approved Member

OMG the sky is falling, the glass is half empty ... blah blah blah. How many years have these threads been bantered around this community? 5 - 10 years?

We're still here people
Old 04-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Approved Member

Famous last words...

We'll see. Hopefully all the issues will be sorted by the time of the US release. Otherwise that may be it.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanator21 View Post
Famous last words...

We'll see. Hopefully all the issues will be sorted by the time of the US release. Otherwise that may be it.
The problem is, the reviews are already in, the gaming mags didn't wait for the US release. In fact, they may not have waited for the last patch. The public pronouncements are already in.

Hopefully they amend their reviews if future patches make a difference.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:26 AM
machoo

Reviews are a bit pointless these days , I review through youtube . I watch videos , I read comments and go from there. Magazines would have a pretty small influence IMO , the same for online articles.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Approved Member

Honestly, the game is in a sad state. A few moments in CoD left room for hope, especially the beautiful graphics, but I've gotten less and less motivation to start it up,
What we've been sold here is an alpha version. It's not even beta - in beta versions, all functionality is there, though probably buggy, Alpha versions have different things missing as in "not yet implemented".
And I think just that is the case in CoD.
I wonder why things like radio functionality still haven't been fixed. If I had to, I'd probably bet that it hasn't even been implemented yet (so it's not searching for a bug to restore functionality but programming it from the ground up). From a professional developer team that charges money for their software, I pretty much expect such things to get fixed along the way.
The same goes for countless other issues - faulty FMs, very poor colliision modelling, non-functional loadout options, non-functional aircraft options (yes, I know it works in the FMB), devastating online functionality so far, weird wind modelling on the ground. Some less annoying things but still in no circumstance indicative for professionals are for example the 'nice' WIN95-style ingame menues (if at least it had been steam widgets...) or the MIDI music that plays only sometimes in the menues...
Add in to the mix the huge, HUGE step backwards in terms of immersion, compared to 1946, that I mentioned elsewhere already...How on earth could they not bother about (de-)briefing maps and infos, a really non-existant campaign functionality (different single player missions after each other, with no consequences whatsoever in between missions, no videos and so on. The 'extra' spitfire cockpit with the lady on your lap doesn't help much, to be honest...)? There's no ranks and awards and there are no dynamic campaigns, yet they called it a day and declared the thing 'gone gold'.

So yes, I'm quite disappointed by now. If things get fixed in 6 month's time, well, they better should have done that. But the damage has been done right now.
A 'proud' owner of the CoD CE.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroach View Post
Honestly, the game is in a sad state. A few moments in CoD left room for hope, especially the beautiful graphics, but I've gotten less and less motivation to start it up,
What we've been sold here is an alpha version. It's not even beta - in beta versions, all functionality is there, though probably buggy, Alpha versions have different things missing as in "not yet implemented".
And I think just that is the case in CoD.
I wonder why things like radio functionality still haven't been fixed. If I had to, I'd probably bet that it hasn't even been implemented yet (so it's not searching for a bug to restore functionality but programming it from the ground up). From a professional developer team that charges money for their software, I pretty much expect such things to get fixed along the way.
The same goes for countless other issues - faulty FMs, very poor colliision modelling, non-functional loadout options, non-functional aircraft options (yes, I know it works in the FMB), devastating online functionality so far, weird wind modelling on the ground. Some less annoying things but still in no circumstance indicative for professionals are for example the 'nice' WIN95-style ingame menues (if at least it had been steam widgets...) or the MIDI music that plays only sometimes in the menues...
Add in to the mix the huge, HUGE step backwards in terms of immersion, compared to 1946, that I mentioned elsewhere already...How on earth could they not bother about (de-)briefing maps and infos, a really non-existant campaign functionality (different single player missions after each other, with no consequences whatsoever in between missions, no videos and so on. The 'extra' spitfire cockpit with the lady on your lap doesn't help much, to be honest...)? There's no ranks and awards and there are no dynamic campaigns, yet they called it a day and declared the thing 'gone gold'.

So yes, I'm quite disappointed by now. If things get fixed in 6 month's time, well, they better should have done that. But the damage has been done right now.
A 'proud' owner of the CoD CE.
Here is an example of exactly what I am talking about.

A rehash of the same old complaints... for what point?

DO YOU WANT THE GAME TO BE CANCELLED?

It seems so and you may get what you want.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Approved Member

People will be playing CloD 10+ years in the future, even if every gamer site rates it 2/10. The essential code, the part that lets you see the airplanes and scenery and sky, and renders all the effects, is solid and will be built upon for many years. The game engine will be licenced out to other mass-market FPS game shops and the royalities from those licences will give Ilya the funds to continue developing the hard core sim for us, the tiny minority of the games market, because we are so adept at making movies to showcase Maddox Games' technology which generates sales for the games based on the same engine.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 AM
Approved Member

The name Clod is fecked now. I wouldn't be surprised if 1C release a "new" kinda Forgotten Battles in 6 months or so like they did with IL-2. All functions incorporated and patched etc.

I'll support 1C and Olex and the gang whatever they do cause they gave me so much fun with the IL-2 series (especially PF).