Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: I will be supporting CLIFFS OF DOVER
Yes 164 90.61%
No 17 9.39%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Approved Member

Default Poll: Why I will be supporting CLIFFS OF DOVER and why you should too

Salute

These boards have been in an uproar, hundreds of questions, some legitimate, some weighted to attack.

And there is no doubt we do have a reason to be disappointed. We haven't been given the game we had hoped for and which the promotions had promised.

But before we react irrationally, it's time to step back, take a deep breath, and think carefully.

There are no other games in development in the Flight Sim field, unless you want to count Microsoft, and we all know their track record.

The only other relatively new title, RISE OF FLIGHT has its positive points, I own it myself, but isn't the game that IL-2 was even a year and a half after being published. It has nice graphics, but no campaign to speak of, there is not even one period of the Great War which has a complete plane set. It also has issues with visibility distance, and can't host nearly the number of players online.

Realistically, the future of Flight Simming rests in the success or failure of CLIFFS OF DOVER.

So should we give it a chance?

I say yes.

Oleg and 1C have a track record second to none. In the past they have delivered, IN SPADES. The IL-2 series is the most successful Flight Sim ever produced.

Although the original IL-2 didn't have the bugs and issues which CoD obviously had, it was far from being optimized. Getting 16 players online at one time was problematic, there were numbers of bugs which had to be solved. But solved they were, and the game went onto its huge success.

Oleg and company are a little further behind the 8 ball when it comes to CoD, but there is every reason to believe they can solve the issues which are currently impairing the playability of the game.

But if everyone abandons this sim, if everyone reacts in a kneejerk fashion, and bails out, then the chances of failure are going to be increased hugely.

UBISOFT, that corporate entity which we love so well... ...will not hesitate to pull the plug on this game.

If you want this game to succeed, if you want a bright future in Flight Simming, the only smart thing to do is to support CLIFFS OF DOVER.

Personally I will be buying a copy of the Russian Game, and several copies of the North American release.

I hope you take the time to think this through, and act and vote positively.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 03-27-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

Well..I dont revoke my orders...they did it for me....so now i'm waiting till a reply drops into my mailbox with the reason why digital river cancelled my CONFIRMED orders...

I'm sure things will be fixed eventually.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Approved Member

After I build my new rig, and if the game is still alive and showing signs of life - I will buy it. We do not have an alternative title / series.

If for nothing else, than for the hundreds of hours of fun I had with old IL2 series. The team showed they can do the job in the past, one should think they can pull it off again.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories

Last edited by T}{OR; 03-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Approved Member

After 29 years of gaming/flying IL2 1946 has been the only title for a few years now, after having played hundreds of titles. I totally fell in love with IL2 back in 2002 and my love has never waned.

I will support CoD and I will keep doing so for it's entire life span.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

I watched the forums lately and i just laugh, soo many crying babies.
I really think some people on this forum should really just take it easy.
As soon as i heard it was available for pre-order on steam, i bought it, without hesitation.

People here seem to forget, that patches can fix a hefty amount of a game.

I would've just wished for a collector's edition, oh well.

Perhaps it's exams coming up that's making me think about other things then some epilepsy filter.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Question

I understand that a lot of people here are canceling their pre orders after reading and watching all the problems with the sim, but I dont know why would anyone pre order a digital download copy if it wasnt to support the devs.So if you want to support but cant play the game as it is right now,just step back for 2-3 weeks or maybe a month and come back and see how things have developed.All this complaining wont help the team solve the current issues.Just remember how was ROF when it came out, I couldnt get more than 30 fps on high end machine (back then).Now I can max it out without problems and I surely enjoy it.We need to RELAX!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Approved Member

I pre-ordered CoD on the strength of previous Il-2 releases. When I read yesterday that it could be bought via YuPlay I had no hesitation in spending a bit of extra money to play the game a bit early. Well, having spent a few hours with it, the sorry state of CoD has burned right through that goodwill and has thoroughly undermined my belief in Maddox Games' as a developer. They can keep my money this time but they have lost all credibility in my eyes and I will never again pre-order or purchase one of their titles sight unseen.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Approved Member

Canceling pre orders is the most stupid and short sighted thing to do. Just after pre ordering a new flight sim, which is the second most stupid and short sighted thing to do.

But anyway, if you have pre ordered you should stick with it now. Canceling just sends a very bad message in form of a excel sheet to a guy in a suit somewhere, who doesn't care if this is maybe the next mother of all flight sims, or a Pokemon against Ninja Turtles game. All what it will do is cutting off support to the executive studio, in this case 1C.

Don't cancel the order guys.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertram W. Wooster View Post
I pre-ordered CoD on the strength of previous Il-2 releases. When I read yesterday that it could be bought via YuPlay I had no hesitation in spending a bit of extra money to play the game a bit early. Well, having spent a few hours with it, the sorry state of CoD has burned right through that goodwill and has thoroughly undermined my belief in Maddox Games' as a developer. They can keep my money this time but they have lost all credibility in my eyes and I will never again pre-order or purchase one of their titles sight unseen.
You have clearly not witnessed the beginning of many flight sims...
I have. I think the COD start is still fairly ok compared to other titles I have witnessed. Many are classics today, like ROF, FS series, BoB WOV, etc. Give it some months.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Approved Member

Hi,

I voted yes. But let me point out that also Gaijin has a new sim in the works. This genre can use every drop of lifeblood, and competition is always good for us, the consumers.

MAC

Last edited by MACADEMIC; 03-27-2011 at 11:46 PM.