Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Should the vegetation colours in CLIFFS OF DOVER be changed?
Yes: I would like to see a darker shade for the grass and other vegetation 226 75.33%
No: I am happy with the current colouring 74 24.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Approved Member

+1 RocketDog

The trees in the London streets look OK because these are (IRL) mostly introduced limes and planes which do have a vivid pale/mid tone green leaf.

South of England forest and copse is oak, elm, hormbeam, beech etc.

If you compare the colour of an actual RL mature leaf from these trees to a lime or plane tree leaf they are much darker than the leaves of the immigrant trees (I know, ironic ) and much darker than grass.

Those who are defending the colour choice seem to want to have it both ways: on the one wing they say that it is all subjective, so there is no right answer. On the other wing, they say that Oleg is jolly clever and so could not have got this wrong. Both these arguments cannot be right.

In this case he (or whoever) has made a mistake, easily fixable, with an options slider for tree albedo!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Approved Member

A gamma setup available to the end user, is it so hard ?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=unreasonable;261037Those who are defending the colour choice seem to want to have it both ways: on the one wing they say that it is all subjective, so there is no right answer. On the other wing, they say that Oleg is jolly clever and so could not have got this wrong. Both these arguments cannot be right. [/QUOTE]

I'm one of these people, and I think they can.

From earlier posts, the colouration at low level/ground level is very good indeed.

It's only as we gain altitude that it starts to look a little strange.

Even then, if you set the time of day to early morning/late evening in the game (with shadows) it looks superb.

It's the midday light conditions at altitude which look 'washed out' to some, including me.

Now I have no personal experience of looking at this particular 1940 landscape at midday in summer with no cloud cover in very low humidity, but would assume that any of these variables would significantly alter what we see with our eyes/brains, which of course is very different from what a camera 'sees' before the image is reproduced either on variable quality film or digitally.

What I do know, is that if the colour needs to be like this at midday in order for it to be as gorgeous as it is at sundown or sunup I'm willing to accept it, because that's when CoD is at its best.

I don't have WoP, but all I see in these comparitive posts is a world of very cheap sunglasses.

Having said all that, I do support the idea of some in game adjustment to compensate for people's personal preferences.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

OMG you lot still ranting about grass? to much time on your hands or something?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Wild_Weasel View Post
OMG you lot still ranting about grass? to much time on your hands or something?
Yeah, I know. Work is very boring today.