Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb IL 2 Sturmovik 1946 on MAC mini

Hi guys

I've been searching for a while and couldn't find a recent document on how to get this game working on a MAC so I thought I would list it here.

I had some issues with the mouse when I installed macports, wine and wine tricks where the mouse wouldn't travel the whole screen and would jump. It sounded like it's some bug somewhere between X11 and wine with some input component. (google Bug6971 for info) I doubt that anything of this software is a prerequisite for the solution I ended up with below although it does use and mange some installation of wine:

In the end I used wineskin winery and everything is working smoothly. My mouse is working 100%.

Here's the versions of the software used:
- MAC OS LION (10.7.4)
- Wineskin (winery) (1.6)
- Wineskin installed engine (WS9Wine1.4.1NoXInput2)
- IL 2 Sturmovik 1946 v4.11.1m
- HSFX 6.0

I didn't experiment with other engines but I think it's very important to have the wine version and setup that works with the mouse.
After that it's just a matter of creating a new wrapper for the game.

Notes: I have the steam version but didn't use windows steam on the mac. I have a slow windows laptop that I used to download the game with steam and ultra patched it to version 4.11.1m. Then I downloaded HSFX 6.0 and patched that in on the windows machine.
I just copied the whole IL 2 Sturmovik 1946 folder to my mac and later imported it to my IL wine wrapper.
On the joystick side I have a saitek x45. MAC doesn't seem to have a joystick calibration utility and saitek doesn't seem to have driver for mac. Amazingly it's all calibrated in IL. I have no idea how I could be that lucky

I still have the wine menu bar on top of my IL game but it's not very distracting. I had to autohide the dock becausse when the game runs it's exactly where a lot of in game buttons are and it's ugh broader than the menu bar.

Still trying to get some FPS numbers but it looks a lot smoother on my MAC than on my PC laptop.

I hope this helps people in similar positions as I

Happy flying!