Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Approved Member

I must admit I'm still very much enjoying Il-2 as well. As much as a creative outlet for making mods, as well as for pure gameplay. I never did go in for multiplayer that much. All those guys lol'ing and saluting each other tends to spoil the immersion somewhat.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Approved Member

The confusion with all the mods sure plays a not to be underestimated role in the declining number of people showing up on hyperlobby.

But in my eyes, another reason is the overwhelming number of "arcade" servers on hyperlobby, what drove away many pilots, including me.
Guess we all know the situations where it would've been impossible for your "designated target" to spot you, making for a sure kill, and yet he did see you, be it wonder woman view or just F6.
I sure got tired of that, but still show up once in a while on hyperlobby, just to be around.
It just isn't anymore what it was some years ago, sadly.
Sure the game is as good as never before, thanks to TD, but many of the "old" people just "grew out of it" now and likely will not come back again.

Just my personal oppinion.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
And I still cannot help but think that the fracturing of the community caused by all the different mod packs, and frankly mods in general, have also been a big reason.
QFT.

As far as I can tell, you need three installations, one 'vanilla' patched to the latest 4.11.1, one for Ultrapack, patched to 4.10.1 then install the other 13gb, and one waiting in the wings to apply the new HSFX when it's ready.

Roughly speaking, that's probably going to end up around 40-50gb of harddrive space.

ATAG are setting up a server for Ultrapack, but personally speaking I only uninstalled ultrapack and the old AAA mods a couple of months ago through lack of use. So I'm loth to re-install it all again.

I've got the vanilla version still, but one look at the cockpit of the P-47 and well, it's just old hat, plus most of the vanilla servers are too 'arcadey'.

So I confess to having a pretty good time with RoF's Career mode at the mo. Online I'm just not flying the old buses well enough to cope. But the Bristol F2b is a useful bit of kit!

It makes me feel like a bit of a traitor to the cause, but there it is.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 06-21-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

Only need two.

One for UP3/DBW/4.10.1 with SAS Selector to switch between the three options.
One for 4.11.1/HSFX6 with SAS Selector to switch between the two options.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

The game is good as it has never been now, but we cannot pretend that all of the people Who flew it for years are not bored.
It is normal that people change interests, if they do not find new stimulations.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
And I still cannot help but think that the fracturing of the community caused by all the different mod packs, and frankly mods in general, have also been a big reason.
That. And Euro 2012 + HSFX 6 that just came out.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 06-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Approved Member

We could turn this around and say that not the mods but the lack of significant online and other improvements in the stock game causes the low user numbers at hyperlobby.
Imo we all should be playing CoD online by now.
Btw are there 1000 CoD players online?

Last edited by vpmedia; 06-23-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Approved Member

I wish it were true sir.

Our avocation seems destined for the dust bin, I hate to say. There just isn't much in the way of piston engined combat simming on the horizon should CloD fail.

I still enjoy IL2, but it hit the limits of what it can do, in a general sense, years ago. I appreciate all the fine tuning and other things that TD are doing, but the engine is still very limited.

Beyond that there is nothing.

Eagle Dynamic's DCS series is so enamoured with "modern" air combat, (understandably because of what they do to really make money), that I have no hope of them serving up a fully fleshed out WW2 sim in the next 5+ years.

I wish I had an answer. We've all been around this sim for so many years that watching it slowly fade away is really like loosing an old friend. Well, lot's of them actually.

Sad times.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpmedia View Post
We could turn this around and say that not the mods but the lack of significant online and other improvements in the stock game causes the low user numbers at hyperlobby.
Why is anyone playing stock if this is the case?

Look, mods are not a bad thing, and no one is arguing that. There is nothing to 'turn around'.

The problem is options, and the fact that not everyone can run every version at the exact same time unless they have three computers with three controllers, and three hyperlobby windows up. Players have their preferences, and the single community fractures into sub-communities. However, this reduction in size means friends are lost, servers are less full, and because of this, missions are less interesting. That's all. It's a positive feedback cycle that works until only the most hardcore online fans are left.

Last edited by Luno13; 06-23-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Valid point Dutch.

Ah well... It was fun while it lasted.

I don't see it that way.. Those who want to enjoy this still good sim stock or modded do so.. I think that many have just moved on and they use mods as an excuse.. because it's easier than just manning up and saying the thrill is gone.. Yes mods did have an impact.. and a negative one.. especially at first to some degree.. but at this point in the sim's development just between the two major mod packs and the stock sim alone ... for online play it can be what you want it to be.. but you have to want something.. you cant just sit and cry in your beer and throw up your hands and do a Joe Besser.. "It's to haaaarrrrrrddd".. and it is still fun if you want it. I don't get to fly anywhere near as much as I used to .. those days of having 2-4 hours 5 nights a week to fly are long long gone and will not be returning anytime soon for me... but everytime I do get to fly especially online with the guys.. it is just as much fun and there as just as much smack talk as ever.. just not the same participants..