Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Approved Member

Default Sound Engine For SOW

having read and seen tons of data on the graphics i would like oleg to maybe give us all a taste of the sound engine that will come with SOW?

i really hope its a major improvement over the old il2 sounds, where imo very poor indeed.

good news is we have better hardware today to capture and playback audio with examples being the splendid x-fi audio cards with HD effects.

trick is to try capture and code in the doppler shift effect of distant props in the external and flyby in game.

rather than a dull drone flypast audio looped sample.

looped samples are fine for camera externals .

for flybys and distant we need somthing special. thats where hopefully hd effects come in , and some good coding on the audio side of things.

anyway heres a real clip of some fine war birds. note the beautiful engine tones. this is what we want to hear in SOW.

link

anyway keep up the great work dev team , fingers crossed on a early 2010 launch on SOW.

Last edited by diveplane; 12-31-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

There's a difference between IN-cockpit and EXTERNAL sounds.

Some people forget that in airshows the sound you get is anything but close to the sound the pilot is listening to.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
There's a difference between IN-cockpit and EXTERNAL sounds.

Some people forget that in airshows the sound you get is anything but close to the sound the pilot is listening to.

not hard to capture audio, its implementing it into the sim thats the hard part and the external doppler effect into a game. this is the hard part

flyby effect and external engine whine.

only way really to do this is a recorded sample flyby for each model
it could be done . maybe some trickery with hd audio to get the distant doppler effect as well. but this is creating audio parameters in the engine ..

Last edited by diveplane; 12-31-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Approved Member

I think the easiest way would be record a separate file for the in-cockpit sounds. It can't go wrong.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Approved Member

Great video... very good capture of the audio of those two planes. I've had the great amount of fun to see a Spitfire IX and Bf109E fly in formation past me at an airshow and the sound alone is spectacular. That Bf109G has even more whine to it than the E model I think.

Implementing that into the sim will be hard. But I do hope that the sounds are more sounding like their real life counterparts than in past iterations. Hard because not every engine or plane is still flying to do the audio capture and I'm not sure if Oleg's team doesn't get a chance to get out and do a full sound capture to even try. But a better more authentic attempt would be great... let us hope so.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

I don't think it's much of a problem for TFC and other groups that handle such aircraft to just put a microphone inside the plane's cockpit during a routine flight, start-up and etc.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
I don't think it's much of a problem for TFC and other groups that handle such aircraft to just put a microphone inside the plane's cockpit during a routine flight, start-up and etc.
inside cockpits is the easy part. its the externals thats the hard part.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Approved Member

In-cockpit sound?

For SoW I think the doppler effect "IN-COCKPIT" is a must (no more engine radar...)

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveplane View Post
having read and seen tons of data on the graphics i would like oleg to maybe give us all a taste of the sound engine that will come with SOW?

i really hope its a major improvement over the old il2 sounds, where imo very poor indeed.

good news is we have better hardware today to capture and playback audio with examples being the splendid x-fi audio cards with HD effects.
You should remember the sound engine back then was very advanced for its time, the reason the easy way out for sound wasn't implemented by using samples was to keep online security for anti cheating, the sound engine was updated from time to time to keep the online community from hackers using sound cheats. Onboard sound was also poor back then and Soundcards were the optimum way for getting the best sound out of IL2.

Im sure that SoW will have Secure sound management, and with the better onboard sound that's around now there will be less complaints.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 01-01-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

My ideia would a channel sound for a "Fly by view" sound, we have a "Fly by view" buton, so when you see the pass plane you will have this sound, i dont know how better than we have, but worth try this for SOW.