Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Approved Member

Default Tips to hit moving targets?

I'm currently dealing with german bomb fuzes (SC50, SC250) and moving targets (trucks, tanks): it seems none is suited for the low level dropping that I think it's required to hit. Either they've long arming time (BTW: what is, exactly, arming time?) or long delay, both allowing the target to be well far from where the bomb fell when this latter explodes.

Thx,
GB
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Approved Member

Arming time is the time that is required for the bomb to fall. Let's say the arming time is 2 seconds, so the bomb has to fall 2 seconds before it reaches the ground. If it falls less than 2 seconds, the bomb will not detonate.

When the bomb falls it will dig itself into the ground and the bomb will not be so effective, beacause the explosion is for a large part absorbed by the ground, but it will be safe when you fly at low altitude, so that's also a point to deal with when doing low-level bombing.

If you are insecure: use more bullets.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Approved Member

Either go tree top and use low level bomb settings (with practice its not a problem to guess where the truck will be in 10sec time) or go about 900m high, release in about 45 degrees diving angle and use medium settings.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Approved Member

Versus moving convoys I tend to use a shallow five angle from a distance a dnjust line it up with the convoy. Using no delay for maximum effect. Against stationary armor and such... I use the long delay with short arm time to really try and pinpoint the target. Kind of depends on the situation.... Good thing is you can change the arming parameters in flight on the German bombs.

Also try the Electric (sea.). Shorter arm times for the long delay.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Approved Member

From level flight 2 seconds fall is just over 64 feet. But if you are headed downwards on release it is more, possibly much more. How high are those trees?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Approved Member

Thanks to all for useful hints.

I tried and so far most effective tactics seem "dive-toss" from about a 45° angle for static target and tree-top level bombing along moving columns, dropping just about when over them (I can hear their clatter). In both instances, I set long fuze to be safe and assure bomb is armed when hits target.

Greetings,
GB