Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Default Game buying help?

Hello
I was wondering if i should buy wings of prey or il-2 sturmovik and this would be the place to visit. The problem is every review was when wings of prey was 50$.
Now it is 5.00$ because of the sale. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Approved Member

If you became very good playing Wings of Prey, you'd only be a very modest flyer in Il2 1946.
In Il2 there are literally hundreds of different planes to fly and it's possible to fly and fight in any theatre of operations in ww2. The game is very cheap to buy BUT is highly addictive with a steep learning curve and really needs a good spec computer and graphics card to run it well.
You will need a joystick as a minimum, (M$ force feedback 2, possibly the best), then rudder pedals, then throttle, then track ir, headset with mic., so it won't be that cheap by the time you've kitted yourself out.
Il2 is bottomless as well, you will never exhaust the possibilities of the game, and if you ever did there's always joining a squad and flying online against other people, harder still.
Il2 is a work of art really, and should cost hundreds of dollars, but is still maintained and updated FOR FREE by Team Daedlus. Buy the dvd version which will be v4.07 or v4.08. We are now at 4.11.1 and anticipating 4.12 sometime later this year. It's a no brainer really, have fun.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

There are actually several DIFFERENT games, which have words "il-2 sturmovik" in their title.

The oldest and the cheapest is original IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles+addons (from Pacific Fighter to 1946) by 1C Maddox Games. This forum is for that game. This game is by now 11 years old basically, but still is updated with free add-ons.

There is also a sequel to that game from 1C, called IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover. It's about Battle of Britain, built on new modern graphics engine, etc.

And a side spin-off by Gaijin Games, called IL-2 Sturmovik Wings of Prey. This one is a kind of "relaxed realism" flight sim, also with better graphics, then the original one.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Approved Member

I'd like to personally recommend you the Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 if you want a realistic combat flight sim, because it's the best combat flight sim on the market. If you like arcade ,,sims'' more, you'll be satisfied with the Birds/Wings of Prey. But let me tell you - I've flown over 2000 hours in 1946 and I still want more. This tells ALOT about a flight sim.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Approved Member

I'll advise you to buy the box/cd version (1946 with the Russian jet on the front cover) if possible and download(and save) the TeamD updates. You'll save yourself a lot of future problems.
You'll most probably find the box in the 'bargain bin' in media stores... nice and cheap.

Never tried WOP, and have no intention of ever doing so. IL2 (Oleg's) is quiet simply, still streaks ahead of anything else.