Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

View Poll Results: Should ROF have an offline mode
Yes, I won't buy it without offline mode 30 50.00%
Yes, I might reluctantly buy it w/o offline mode 13 21.67%
No, I don't mind 17 28.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagTaken2 View Post
But for me, as long as I've purchased the game, I haven't technically 'pirated'. That's reserved for people who haven't paid for the game. Are we even allowed to talk about this here ??
Don't know though a moderater will say yes or no. As to the piracy, personally if you purchase the game and install a no cd crack I don't feel it's pirated. Downloading a hacked copy even though you purchased a legal copy is a double edged sword. On one hand you purchased a legal copy that goes to the people that it should. The hacked copy only encourages the piracy, but as you said its a bit dubious.

Robert, even people on ROF's website blog are PO'd and voicing their distaste. They still have time to fix it, lets see what they do.

If the online connection is not fixed the only way I'm playing this sim is the demo.

Flyingbullseye

Last edited by flyingbullseye; 03-14-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

I never played IL2 on a PC without internet connection and I only flew a few hours offline anyway.

So, no loss for me on either side, compared to most other games I have, especially to IL2.

@flyingbullseye
If you apply a NoCD-Patch, you didn't pirate the game, you just violated the EULA by modifying protected code. Downloading the game is a crime, though, no matter if you own the rights to have a legal copy. (Noticed the term "have a legal copy"? - A downloaded and/or cracked version is not a legal copy in any regard). Depending on the means you download it with, you also give other people access to the file or parts of the file, which is another illegal act.

To the demo-thing:
Since ROF will be a STEAM-release, you can be 99,9% sure that the demo will be released via STEAM, too, just like most other games (most recently Empire:Total War). If you don't want STEAM, there's probably no way to even test the game.

Last edited by Feuerfalke; 03-14-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Approved Member

This is the price we pay for living amongst thieves. Right or wrong, the honest people always have to pay the price for the thieves and the fools. I will try out the demo, and see if the price is worth it in this case.

Last edited by BadAim; 03-15-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Approved Member

To me the biggest issue is what happens in a year or twos time. What happens is their game is not profitable and they don't get the ongoing sales? Will they just turn off their servers and move on to the next title? Even if they "guarantee" the servers will be up for X amount of time, even with all the best intentions it means nothing. The the economic crisis and all, businesses are going bust left, right and centre.

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 03-15-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
@flyingbullseye
If you apply a NoCD-Patch, you didn't pirate the game, you just violated the EULA by modifying protected code. Downloading the game is a crime, though, no matter if you own the rights to have a legal copy. (Noticed the term "have a legal copy"? - A downloaded and/or cracked version is not a legal copy in any regard). Depending on the means you download it with, you also give other people access to the file or parts of the file, which is another illegal act.
Did not know that, thanks.

Flyingbullseye
Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Approved Member

Default bad, but not terrible

I think they have good intentions for going with the online thing and they arent really out to get you. At the end of the day, no one wants their stuff stolen, especially something that took years to make. So i dont fault them for wanting to protect their stuff.

However, I want to play my game when ever I want to. I dont want someone telling me when/where/how i can play it. for me, thats the most important factor in all of this.

steam isnt bad. if youre worried about people spying on your activities through the internet, dont worry, they already do! If you have a cell phone, "they" can triangulate your position to with in 500m or so as long as its on. Your tivo spies on you. every webpage you visit spies on you. (think about your online banking as your service provider routes all of your internet usage) As long as you use "their" products, "they" will spy on you.

i hope i havent made any of you paranoid folks more paranoid than you already are!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagold2004 View Post
i hope i havent made any of you paranoid folks more paranoid than you already are!
We're not paranoid! We KNOW they're out to get us!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Approved Member

Sky is falling again eh? Haven't had a good one of those in a long time.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Approved Member

silly idea to try and force people to be online, i wont buy it either

there are a few other software programs that after purchasing need to be activated online when you install it, and then again be online each time you want to use them, i never bought any of those programs either and chose instead whatever competing program existed. it's just not a convenient way to use them.

what they seem to forget is that even when people have a pc, that doesnt mean they have access to reliable broadband 100% of the time as well. for ex kids taking a laptop with them when staying with relatives, adults traveling for work or going to the beach house, limited net access at home where bw is limited or only in one room (so parents can supervise what kids do on the web etc.).

there is also a personal privacy and big brother issue here, do you really want some company (which hasnt published its privacy regulations, and isnt accountable to anybody if they break it) to be constantly aware of your gaming activity pattern on a day to day basis ? we already have camera's in the street, shopping patterns being tracked when you use a credit card etc... why add more to that just to play a silly game when its not needed for the customer who already bought the product ?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
...If you don't want STEAM, there's probably no way to even test the game.
I don't know what STEAM is.
Why would one "not want" it ?? Why is it looked at as the pest ? Is it acting as a kind of malware ?

PS: yes, I'm reading their website...

Last edited by _ITAF_UgoRipley; 03-15-2009 at 09:05 AM.