Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

View Poll Results: Should ROF have an offline mode
Yes, I won't buy it without offline mode 30 50.00%
Yes, I might reluctantly buy it w/o offline mode 13 21.67%
No, I don't mind 17 28.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Approved Member

I've never pirated a game. I have a hard time saying I in fact would pirate RoF, but I feel they have tied the hands of hobbyists. I really wouldn't mind as much if six months ago or a year ago they'd have come up with this scheme. How many simmers would have been mad, but wouldn't have gotten their hopes for a WW1 flight sim? To announce their stupid copy protection measures so close to release shoots them in the foot by angering HONEST, LOYAL PURCHASING simmers.

They deserve lost sales. They deserve to be pirated. It's the honest folks who pay the price of theft. I'm seriously looking at doing exactly what I thought I'd never do - PIRATE a game.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Approved Member

Much as I am looking forward to this game (not been a good WWI sim since RB3d) the 'need to be connected' element concerns me, why is it needed, and what purpose does it serve??

Chris

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/index.php

Gigabyte z77-d3h, Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (OC 4.2GHz), Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 24GB DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit , Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB, Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W '80 Plus Silver' PSU,
GTX580 3gb OC
Old 03-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristorf View Post
Much as I am looking forward to this game (not been a good WWI sim since RB3d) the 'need to be connected' element concerns me, why is it needed, and what purpose does it serve??

In a nutshell...anti piracy. It seem's they would like to keep a locked game locked, is my take

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
In a nutshell...anti piracy. It seem's they would like to keep a locked game locked, is my take
Or...they can go 'pay to play' as you can only play on their server...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Or...they can go 'pay to play' as you can only play on their server...
I thought of that but, they are walking on thin ice already, if they did that they would be paying people to come back.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgottenfighter View Post
I thought of that but, they are walking on thin ice already, if they did that they would be paying people to come back.
Well unfortunately they have already shown that they have badly misjudged their target customers.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
Well unfortunately they have already shown that they have badly misjudged their target customers.

Bigtime for sure! I think that they underestimate their clients, and will loose many potential sales as a result

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagTaken2 View Post
Either that, or a crack to play offline will come out, and coincide with a huge jump in sales.
That worries me. If that happens, they will think they have been successful with this. Non-sales they will notice, sales after piracy are still sales, so not a loss to be recognised.

I won't be pirating this, I don't ever, there are too many great old games available for very little money to go that route. Some of the old games are rubbish (or not to my taste, but I suspect it's a combination of that and some being rubbish), but there are some very good ones.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Approved Member

I'm starting to wonder what people mean when they say 'piracy'.

For me, a no-cd crack that I use on my legally purchased cd is not piracy.

Downloading a hacked copy because my legally purchased cd is going to require me to connect to the internet is a bit dubious, but hey, I paid for the game, I'm damn well going to play it.

But for me, as long as I've purchased the game, I haven't technically 'pirated'. That's reserved for people who haven't paid for the game.

Are we even allowed to talk about this here ??
Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Approved Member

I just sent off an email to neoqb discussing how many postings from these and other forums have expressed disatisfaction at their business model.

I can't fathom why they think this would be a good idea. I urge others to do the same at: hello@neoqb.com

MAYBE they might listen to the customers who send letters instead of posting on web site forums. I've been looking forward to this game as long as anyone. To have the shirt tails pulled out so close to release like this is not funny and in poor taste.