Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Other > Other Topics

Other Topics Feel free to discuss other topics here.

View Poll Results: Should ROF have an offline mode
Yes, I won't buy it without offline mode 30 50.00%
Yes, I might reluctantly buy it w/o offline mode 13 21.67%
No, I don't mind 17 28.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaltysZ View Post
The only stand alone products are FB and PF, the others are not (IL2 1946 DVD is standalone, but it is only composition of previous versions).
This is mistaken I believe, there have been more stand alone DVD/CD versions, the original Sturmovik was stand alone, the Complete Edition DVD was stand alone, it included stuff that had been released before, but some of the content was download only before that time, and if you installed that DVD as the only copy, it would run.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
This is mistaken I believe, there have been more stand alone DVD/CD versions, the original Sturmovik was stand alone, the Complete Edition DVD was stand alone, it included stuff that had been released before, but some of the content was download only before that time, and if you installed that DVD as the only copy, it would run.
"IL-2 Sturmovik" should be regarded as different game than the famed IL2 series most people play now. "IL2 Forgotten battles" is sequel (not addon or expansion) to "IL-2 Sturmovik".

The hole series went so: "IL2 Forgotten Battles" (stand alone), then "Aces Expansion Pack" (not standalone, required FB), then "Pacific Fighters" (standalone or merged with FB+AEP; standalone incompatible with merged), then Pe2 (not standalone, required FB+AEP+PF), then "Shturmoviks over Manchuria" (not standalone, required FB+AEP+PF+Pe2), then (in fact together with previous) "1946" (not standalone, required FB+AEP+PF+Pe2+Manchuria). Almost at the same time "IL2: 1946" was released, which of course was standalone as it was FB+AEP+PF+Pe2+Manchuria+1946 inside one DVD. There was some other DVDs like "IL2 Forgotten Battles Gold Pack" which included FB+AEP and "IL2 Sturmovik Series Complete Edition", which included FB+AEP+PF, however I see them only as re-release of old product.

In any way, the point is not about releases, but about modularity (or lack of it). For example, PF and FB+AEP+PF was not compatible (people owning merged version could not join pure PF servers), the same with Pe2 addon (FB+AEP+PF and FB+AEP+PF+Pe2 differed only in quantity of aircrafts and maps, still however FB+AEP+PF+Pe2 could not join FB+AEP+PF). Oh, and the patches. FB+AEP+PF had some nice patches, from which aircrafts from different theatres of war benefited, however these patches could not be applied nor to FB, FB+AEP or PF alone. So, the idea of IL2 series: "you will get free updates only until next addon is released". This is different than in DCS or RoF, which are modular. For example, in DCS you will get engine updates for free until the end of series (even if the whole engine is rewritten), only new aircrafts will cost to you (but you will get updates even if you don't buy new aircrafts).

Last edited by ZaltysZ; 03-17-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaltysZ View Post
"IL-2 Sturmovik" should be regarded as different game than the famed IL2 series most people play now. "IL2 Forgotten battles" is sequel (not addon or expansion) to "IL-2 Sturmovik".
Sort of; FB was distinctly different from IL*2 Sturmovik, but if the graphics weren't identical, they were obviously closely related, a superset of the same planes were present in FB, and the scoring UI from "Sturmovik" has resurfaced in "1946".

Quote:
The hole series went so: "IL2 Forgotten Battles" (stand alone), then "Aces Expansion Pack" (not standalone, required FB), then "Pacific Fighters" (standalone or merged with FB+AEP; standalone incompatible with merged), then Pe2 (not standalone, required FB+AEP+PF), then "Shturmoviks over Manchuria" (not standalone, required FB+AEP+PF+Pe2), then (in fact together with previous) "1946" (not standalone, required FB+AEP+PF+Pe2+Manchuria). Almost at the same time "IL2: 1946" was released, which of course was standalone as it was FB+AEP+PF+Pe2+Manchuria+1946 inside one DVD. There was some other DVDs like "IL2 Forgotten Battles Gold Pack" which included FB+AEP and "IL2 Sturmovik Series Complete Edition", which included FB+AEP+PF, however I see them only as re-release of old product.
You have forgotten that "IL*2: 1946" also includes the missions from the original "Sturmovik" as a career, which is my other reason for including it as part of the IL*2 series. The Complete Edition may have been old product re-released, but it was old product that hadn't been available here (in the UK) for years, you could buy FB, you could by PF, but you couldn't buy the Aces Expansion Pack, and without that you couldn't use FB on the PF flight model.

Quote:
In any way, the point is not about releases, but about modularity (or lack of it). For example, PF and FB+AEP+PF was not compatible (people owning merged version could not join pure PF servers), the same with Pe2 addon (FB+AEP+PF and FB+AEP+PF+Pe2 differed only in quantity of aircrafts and maps, still however FB+AEP+PF+Pe2 could not join FB+AEP+PF). Oh, and the patches. FB+AEP+PF had some nice patches, from which aircrafts from different theatres of war benefited, however these patches could not be applied nor to FB, FB+AEP or PF alone. So, the idea of IL2 series: "you will get free updates only until next addon is released". This is different than in DCS or RoF, which are modular. For example, in DCS you will get engine updates for free until the end of series (even if the whole engine is rewritten), only new aircrafts will cost to you (but you will get updates even if you don't buy new aircrafts).
I only fly offline, so I wouldn't have the foggiest idea about the online situation.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Approved Member

This was posted by FLiF (a member of the neoqb dev team) on the RoF blog:

FLiF → 3/18/2009 11:43:52 PM

Hello,
I see so many questions like "what if something happened....". Do you think that developers have never thought about it? There were so many discussions and even arguments here. You should be polite in the blog and use proper words since it's kind of an official place here, but we feel free to tell whatever we think in our team. It's one of the good principles of our work here. Do you really think we all like the idea of SP with Internet connection needed? But still, it's going to be like that at least for now:
1. you have to connect to server to play SP (at least to start the game and start a mission).
2. you don't have to pay for every flight online or every month to continue playing.

PS: Sure, we are reading your comments (both Russian and English versions). And we are taking then into consideration. Too much work right now to keep replying here instantly.

Thanks,
FLiF, Neoqb team
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Thunderbolt56.

Wheelsup