Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 05-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Approved Member

Default How do you set Directional Gyro & Course Setter whilst in flight?

Hi, i'm looking for some tips & tricks on setting the Directional Gyro & Course Setter whilst in flight on the British fighters.

On the ground it is easy, pull the stick back, zoom in, lock TrackIr and make your adjustments. But while flying this is impossible, obviously pulling the stick back and maintaining a steady course is impossible.

I've had little luck trying to peer around the stick, very difficult to do i find. I have set keys on my HOTAS for both to try and make it easier but still finding it near impossible.

Flying the Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas 111th Squadron – Hurricane campaign is hopeless without being able to do this mid flight.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Approved Member

S!

Sorry no experience on British fighters, but I have done this in He111 now couple of times.

Method 1 (most likely not usable for you):
I trim the plane to fly somewhat level, check the magnetic compass, turn the gyro to that heading, check the mag.comp again and revise the gyro.

Method 2 (much easier and usable):
Just ignore the gyro heading, set the course setter to match your current gyro heading and use it like that. Use the course setter to steer to the magnetic heading you want.
AMD 1055T Hexacore@3,4GHz - 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 - ATI 6950 2GB, flashed to 6970 shaders - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - 30" LG W3000H (2560x1600) - TM Warthog Stick + Cougar Throttle - wooden DIY pedals with Hall sensor - FreeTrack
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTommy View Post
On the ground it is easy, pull the stick back, zoom in, lock TrackIr and make your adjustments. But while flying this is impossible, obviously pulling the stick back and maintaining a steady course is impossible.
There's a key assignment "Look at dashboard" (or similiar, cannot check it right now). That may make it easier in flight.

Artist

-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

I manage to do it ok, you said you use track ir and that's what I use and get a good view of the compass in the air - I don't move the flight yoke at all as you want to stay straight and level whilst adjusting.

I usually start in the zoomed out FOV, I just sit up a bit, lean to the far left, move forward a bit and then look diagonally downwards and inwards towards the compass and I get a good enough view to set the compass. The trick is holding course steady whilst setting the compass and directional indicator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zoomedin.jpg (193.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Bounder!; 05-22-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
There's a key assignment "Look at dashboard" (or similiar, cannot check it right now). That may make it easier in flight.

Artist
Unfortunatly the stick blocks both gyro & compass when using that key. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder! View Post
I manage to do it ok, you said you use track ir and that's what I use and get a good view of the compass in the air - I don't move the flight yoke at all as you want to stay straight and level whilst adjusting.

I usually start in the zoomed out FOV, I just sit up a bit, lean to the far left, move forward a bit and then look diagonally downwards and inwards towards the compass and I get a good enough view to set the compass. The trick is holding course steady whilst setting the compass and directional indicator.
Yeah.. i guess i'm just gonna have to practice and probably tweak my TrackIR profile, smooth it out so its less sensitive..as when zoomed in its all a bit jerky to make fine adjustments to the setter & gyro. Thanks.

EDIT: Does this sim have snapviews?.. maybe a custom snapview might be best.

Last edited by MadTommy; 05-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

What I forgot to mention in my post above is that it's easier if you open the canopy - you can move further to the left / right with the canopy open and then lean forward or go to a greater FOV to get a better look.

Also, if you are finding the track ir is shacking a bit, especially when zoomed in, try increasing your deadzones in the track ir software. You could also set a button on your joystick that pauses / unpauses track ir and it will lock your view when setting the compass (you set this in the track ir software along with also setting a button to centre your view - very handy)

Hope that helps
Old 05-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Approved Member

It is possible to look around the stick with trackIR, then zoom in to the course setter with the 30 degree view (end, page down, or delete, can't remember which, I have it mapped to a hat switch).

Also, in the Hurri and Blen, running your mouse cursor over both instruments shows the current readings even with the stick in the way, and also highlights the 'increase/decrease' tips for where to click.
For some reason this doesn't happen on the course setter in the Spit, which is the biggest nuisance as far as I'm concerned. In fact it might be worth entering this in the bugtracker.........

But this method means using your mouse, which means trimming your 'plane for hands off while you fiddle with your mouse, or fiddling with it left handed.

There must be a joke there somewhere..........

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 05-22-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 AM
Approved Member

Cheers lads, i'll just have to practice, tweak trackir, open the canopy...doing a bit of fumbling under the desk.. i'm sure i'll get there!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTommy View Post
Cheers lads, i'll just have to practice, tweak trackir, open the canopy...doing a bit of fumbling under the desk.. i'm sure i'll get there!
Flying the Spit I do all the stuff mentioned above -- when I'm feeling ambitious.

Because of the gloriously sunny weather we seem to be having on the ATAG Server, I admit I get lazy -- if using my compass to get oriented I just fly straight & level for a few seconds while my compass settles down, then look to see where the little white "T" marker is pointing. "So if that's North, then I'm heading, uh.....South East. Yeah, that's it! South East!"

The bomber boys would never approve of this. It'd be enough to pop the top button of their tunics!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
Flying the Spit I do all the stuff mentioned above -- when I'm feeling ambitious.

Because of the gloriously sunny weather we seem to be having on the ATAG Server, I admit I get lazy -- if using my compass to get oriented I just fly straight & level for a few seconds while my compass settles down, then look to see where the little white "T" marker is pointing. "So if that's North, then I'm heading, uh.....South East. Yeah, that's it! South East!"

The bomber boys would never approve of this. It'd be enough to pop the top button of their tunics!
lol.. yeah in MP its not really needed.. but i purchased the Helmut Wick vs. J. C. Dundas campaign.. which is hopeless unless you can navigate accurately.

I had a little practice earlier.. opening the canopy was a great tip.. still hard to be very accurate while flying, but i'd say i can do it good enough.