Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Approved Member

Exclamation player skill is the ultimate deciding factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro View Post
Connection has little to do with it. Crash-bug happens to everyone
Yes Zatoichi, player skill is the ultimate deciding factor, what I’m saying is I am friends with one of the best players on line, and when the connection is “bad” he will “only” get 10 kills in a 10 minute game…instead of his "usual" 20, and I will get maybe 4 instead of my usual 8, better is better and yes, the better player will still win if all things are equal – but what sometimes happens is the “connection Issue” only may hit a few players, and when it does it changes the final outcome completely, in fact if I have the “good connection” and my friend has the “bad connection” I can almost beat him – note I said “almost”...

I believe this uncertainty is what drive players mad.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

Lag...now I get why my bullets seem to pass through planes without causing any damage!!

Joke, I'm pretty sure my connection is quite good.
Anyway, I have met Mirgervirn in quite a few games and he's always been a nice guy, even when he was shot down many times (which didn't happen often, and not by me) he never quitted, but it's just my two cents.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrok81 View Post
Lag...now I get why my bullets seem to pass through planes without causing any damage!!

Anyway, I have met Mirgervirn in quite a few games and he's always been a nice guy, even when he was shot down many times (which didn't happen often, and not by me) he never quitted, but it's just my two cents.
yes well said
Old 02-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrok81 View Post

Yes QFT. I'm sorry if I sounded derogatory towards Mirgirvin that was not my intention, he is a nice guy. That was the only time I remember him quiting a game, I probably was being rather anoying too in that little cheap bi-plane lol

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtstr View Post
If all else fails, next time bring a wingman. At least one of you should get a shot.
...then this will make you laugh: About a week ago I was invited to play in another sim match. There were 7 players, and MIRGERVIN and cep34 insisted on a 2 vs 5 battle. Well, once the game started someone said he didn't know why those two wanted it that way, after all, he said, "they are good but not that good." Long story short, the question of "good" was answered when the final score was something like 15 to 2, with MIRGERVIN and cep getting the 15.

By the way, thanks for the flying tips...
Old 02-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Approved Member

Mirgervin is a great pilot, although i was one of his main competitors until my official controller broke after i defeated him.

it sure was one of the most intense dogfights i have been in so far. if anything a one on one with mirgervin would end real close between the two of us, no joke.

i really need to start practising more often though as i haven't been on sim in a while.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuklhed808 View Post
...then this will make you laugh: About a week ago I was invited to play in another sim match. There were 7 players, and MIRGERVIN and cep34 insisted on a 2 vs 5 battle. Well, once the game started someone said he didn't know why those two wanted it that way, after all, he said, "they are good but not that good." Long story short, the question of "good" was answered when the final score was something like 15 to 2, with MIRGERVIN and cep getting the 15.

By the way, thanks for the flying tips...

Well, the implication was that you bring a good wingman, or one you can work well with. Actually, Mirgervin and cep prove my point - even more so doing it against the odds.

Usually, with a wingman, you stay in position with each other so that if the engaged fighter loses the advantage, the wing comes in and gives the bandit something to think about while the other fighter goes back to a supporting role. Essentially, two could keep jumping in and swapping out to keep the bandit continually on the defensive. It's a bit more complicated in practice, but that's the bare-bones of it.

Sometimes, more desperate measures work, but your wingman may not exactly thank you for it back at the O-club. For example, I was in a little guns match in Over-G Fighters. My wing and I were in F-14s against a single F-15. Now, the F-14 is a solid jet in that game, but the F-15 has a clear performance advantage - light weight with big engines, and the ability to pull +9Gs till the sun goes down versus the F-14's heavy weight with big engines and +6.5Gs. Whether or not the Tomcat is fairly represented considering the Eagle's performance (it isn't) is a topic for another day.

So, we hit the merge, dogfighting happened, etc., etc. Eventually, I get a little spit out of the fight, the 15 turns in on my wingman and he goes defensive. Thinking quickly, I decided to start calling my wingman's turns to help him evade, but more so to help me re-engage and saddle up on the F-15. So, essentially, I staked my ability to have my wingman maneuver the bandit into my sights and my ability to hit what I was shooting at against my wingman's ass. I figured, as long as I could make it happen fast, I could either get the bandit to break off or kill him because he was so intent on my wingman.

Long and the short of it, I had my wing drag the bandit into a firing position for me, and I nailed the bastard. It was actually a pretty beautiful thing. I did my best to help my wing reverse as the bandit overshot him, so by following my instructions, I flew my wingman into a scissors with the bandit while I closed for a shot. So, I was really trying my best to not get my wingman shot. It all worked out in the end. My wing was pretty impressed (at least at first) and asked how I knew when to call his turns for his defense. When I confessed that it was more intended to help me get a kill shot on the bandit (but by doing that, save his pink hide) the sentiment he expressed was more along the lines of "Good thing you didn't miss."
Old 02-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Approved Member

Subarugaz is the only one here who has beaten Mirgervin in an organized tournament duel. I've managed to beat him a few times 1 on 1, though not when he uses a spitfire. Here is a simple guide:

How to Beat Mirgervin (joke version, 4 easy steps)

1) spot mirgervin
2) run away
3) hope he doesn't follow
4) hope he crashes

How to Sometimes Beat Mirgervin (real version, many hard steps)

1) don't try to shoot Mirgervin head on, especially if he has a spitfire
2) learn to maneuver while checking 6, and learn to jink and dodge
3) learn to perform and counter gravity accelerated vertical turns
4) learn how to win rolling scissors
5) learn how gaining lead and making the opponent overshoot depend as much on ailerons as elevators.
6) read an air combat sim guide
7) practice endlessly
Old 02-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

fly your plane. not the game....
Old 02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

1) don't try to shoot Mirgervin head on, especially if he has a spitfire

hmmm, use a g-6 or a k-4....

u will blow him to heaven
Closed Thread