Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Sandylowlead

Default Over G Fighter

Is the game any good?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Approved Member

I think it is the best simish jet fighter on a console. I just wish it was on ps3.

Last edited by trk29; 12-05-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Sandylowlead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk29 View Post
I think it is the best simish jet fighter on a console. I just wish it was on ps3.
il have to check for a demo download then
Old 12-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Approved Member

I've seen it used for 9 bucks used at gamestop. Absolutely worth it if you prefer more sim than arcade in your flight games.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Approved Member

Make sure you turn the easy controls off in order to enjoy the game. The story and characters are a laugh a second, but the sim side is fantastic. My only complaint is no flight stick support, but thats not a big deal.

Cheers
Old 12-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

Definately try a demo before you buy it, Over G had me bored in about 3 minutes. Other people seem to like it though, so maybe it's just me.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Sandylowlead

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhat View Post
Make sure you turn the easy controls off in order to enjoy the game. The story and characters are a laugh a second, but the sim side is fantastic. My only complaint is no flight stick support, but thats not a big deal.

Cheers
:OOOO no flight stick support **** that
Old 12-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Approved Member

over g is great. the only decent modern flight game on the box. the stick does kind of work but the throttle and rudder are reversed with no work around
Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Approved Member

Over G is still the best console combat flight simulation by a long margin. It has everything from realism, immersion, longevity, great camera views & saveable replay theatres. EVERY AIRCRAFT has a great cockpit, the single player skirmish mode has multiple options including weapons loadouts for each aircraft so it's quite possible to have great dogfights with cannons only. Work around the average graphics, cheesey music & voiceovers & you end up with a great, complete console experience that doesn't need theatrical music scores etc & doesn't shy away from take off & landings; hell you can even taxi out from the apron & back again in certain modes aswell as being required to come back to base to rearm etc if needed (on harder difficulty settings).
Luckily, the non-mappable controls are great & intelligently thought out, from the easy firing systems, wingman orders, through to the gears, spoilers & tailhook deployment & the virtual cockpit look-around is very smooth. I hear what you say about flightsticks & I agree they're great but the pad design in this game works great.
Also; players will note that not only do all the avionics, MFD's & in-cockpit instruments work, it's quite possible to fly by viewing these instruments aswell, thanks to the great level of detail of the game.

Successfully performing a nerve wracking Carrier circuit in an FA/18 Super Hornet (or similar) with all visual aids off & you'll quickly realise just why this game should have received so much more praise & success than it did.

You even get to unlock the X-35C & it's VSTOL flight dynamics are faithfully created so you perform hover etc. Microsoft Flight Simulator even struggles with that!!!

The best, most complete flight experience on console IMO!!!

Last edited by Houndstone Hawk; 12-05-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndstone Hawk View Post
Over G is still the best console combat flight simulation by a long margin. It has everything from realism, immersion, longevity, great camera views & saveable replay theatres. EVERY AIRCRAFT has a great cockpit, the single player skirmish mode has multiple options including weapons loadouts for each aircraft so it's quite possible to have great dogfights with cannons only. Work around the average graphics, cheesey music & voiceovers & you end up with a great, complete console experience that doesn't need theatrical music scores etc & doesn't shy away from take off & landings; hell you can even taxi out from the apron & back again in certain modes aswell as being required to come back to base to rearm etc if needed (on harder difficulty settings).
Luckily, the non-mappable controls are great & intelligently thought out, from the easy firing systems, wingman orders, through to the gears, spoilers & tailhook deployment & the virtual cockpit look-around is very smooth. I hear what you say about flightsticks & I agree they're great but the pad design in this game works great.
Also; players will note that not only do all the avionics, MFD's & in-cockpit instruments work, it's quite possible to fly by viewing these instruments aswell, thanks to the great level of detail of the game.

Successfully performing a nerve wracking Carrier circuit in an FA/18 Super Hornet (or similar) with all visual aids off & you'll quickly realise just why this game should have received so much more praise & success than it did.

You even get to unlock the X-35C & it's VSTOL flight dynamics are faithfully created so you perform hover etc. Microsoft Flight Simulator even struggles with that!!!

The best, most complete flight experience on console IMO!!!

Sounds quite good but you can do most of that on a PS2 game called energy airforce. I recomend this game, although its PS2 it was released round the time the PS3 was so it has reasonable graphics. It also has free flight modes etc and multiple aircraft with full working cockpits. The main aircraft is the F-16 but there are more including - off the top of my head - the X-35 (F-35) and the F-22.