Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Approved Member

Default What Is The Gun Convergence Set To?

I saw in a a previous thread from July that Anton said he would look into it, but I don't think he has gotten back to us on it yet. Does anyone, devs esp, know what range the gun convergence is set to? I know that in the PC IL-2 games the default was 300yds (at least that is what a CombatSimHQ.com article claims), may we assume that this is the case in BoP?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Approved Member

I was actually gonna ask the same thing. Knowing this would really help get the most out of your plane's armament.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Approved Member

The original options from the pc should have been ported over.

Yea, maybe for average console players it might be a bit much, but they could have just defaulted it to whatever we have now and if players wanted to mess with settings - let them.

The game is great, don't get me wrong, but the dumbing down of pc translations is what always drives me back to pc games.

Console games tend to try to restrict and control the game experience far too much. The demographic of console owners is such now that less restriction going foward would be better.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorwzzerd View Post
I saw in a a previous thread from July that Anton said he would look into it, but I don't think he has gotten back to us on it yet. Does anyone, devs esp, know what range the gun convergence is set to? I know that in the PC IL-2 games the default was 300yds (at least that is what a CombatSimHQ.com article claims), may we assume that this is the case in BoP?
300yds, afaik. I've checked, but forgot to post
I think it is a bit different for different planes - but I don't know.
Actually, Pavel Kulikov is the game who knows for sure , you can ask him (http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showforum=7 ).
Right now, the game is released, and all details are public.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Approved Member

I seem to get a lot of quick kills in the 109G6 at 300yards. Killing the pilot perhaps, but either way it seems to converge for the best kill at that range.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

That would be cool if you could adjust that. As I understand, pilots were allowed a little leeway for personal taste when their planes guns were tuned.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker126 View Post
That would be cool if you could adjust that. As I understand, pilots were allowed a little leeway for personal taste when their planes guns were tuned.
I don't know about the historical fact but the '90s series 'Piece of Cake' seemed to imply that, in the RAF at least, the convergence was something like 750 yards at the outset of war but that the savvy pilots would get their crews to set it much closer.

I rewatched that series recently. It's highly recommended if you haven't seen it!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

750 yards seem far.. especially in RL. In Sim I tend to shoot from quite close, way closer than 750 yards.. It's too bad you can't adjust it like in the pc game. It makes a lot of difference per game mode.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
750 yards seem far.. especially in RL.
That's definitely the implication in the series. An American pilot who'd previously fought in the Spanish civil war ignores the RAF guidelines and gets his crew to retune the guns.

The fact that he's depicted as highly irreverent and is despised by the very, very English CO is possibly unsurprising given that it was a british series. It's very, very good though.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofdaves View Post
I don't know about the historical fact but the '90s series 'Piece of Cake' seemed to imply that, in the RAF at least, the convergence was something like 750 yards at the outset of war but that the savvy pilots would get their crews to set it much closer.

I rewatched that series recently. It's highly recommended if you haven't seen it!
IIRC fighter tactics at the outbreak of the war were large formation wing efforts with weapons tuned to around 800-1200 yards (depending on armament). Combat pilots realised quickly that this was a foolhardy setup, and most flights implemented a buddy system (wingman) with weapons retuned to very close range (300-400 yards). THis was so pilots could get in close, fire off a single burst and disengage. Hurricane pilots were most noted for this, as the gunners on German aircraft were deadly and no hurri pilot wanted to hang around trying to "aim" at longer ranges.