Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila chrysaetos View Post
Hi everyone,

My two cents worth opinion on the subject, if I may. The previous two posts (McQ59's and Robotic Pope's) are right on the mark. As for me, I do not like extensive restrictions on certain game modes that are put by the host and I'll politely leave the game lobby if I don't agree to the rules. Bombers and/or heavy fighters have rockets and other weapons for a reason.

I like to put restrictions on myself though. Such restriction is that I do not like to fly Russian plane in Britain and by the same token I do not like to fly British or US plane on the Eastern front unless I really have to (forced by the plane choice of other players).

Intentional crashing into my AI (be it on the ground or in the air) is the most serious offense and that would earn that offender a “no go” from me for future games. Of course you can not ban anybody from playing (which is OK, IMHO), but you can choose your playmates and after certain time you spend on line you will find like minded people that come to play with no agenda other than to have a good time. Last weekend we had a fantastic gathering of sim players from this side of the “pond” (USA), and one (or perhaps more) player(s) from a Nordic country (very nice of him to play that early in the morning, I mean his morning).

This brings me to the next point, and that is the sim mode which I find the most enjoyable of all modes (play it 90% of the time). Also, the people I usually play with are all very cool! Yeah we sometimes shoot our own team mates in the “heat of the team battles, but that is always unintentional and quite often fun

Sometimes games that have too many players (for me that is more than 6 in DF or more than 8 in CTA), unless they are prearranged as “historical” with the specific tasks assigned to each team, quite often turn into mayhem and/or flying circus. Strike games are cool because one can not imagine any restrictions other than afore mentioned intentional crashing into someones AI. Crashing into a bunker is OK Or is it?

Bottom line for me, find yourself in a good company of players and you will enjoy every singe game.

P.S. I'd like to welcome Willie-Wall to the game/forum and let him know that CTA is also my favorite game.

PSN: PlaviKit (USA Mountain time zone)
More than 8 players does become a bit crouded in a single airfield game but a two airfield game I find works well up to the maximum amount of player (discounting lag).

Stike games I find are the type that needs the most restriction and management . To get a good fair bombing game you need to make sure the teams are balenced. We also very often use strike maps for Team dogfights with alternate scoring, so the host needs to make sure nobody has bombs and rockets and that nobody goes kamikazi on the bunkers , all which ruin the score for the game. On occasion if I find someone on my team is attacking the enemy bunkers I am forced to team kill them to keep the score correct.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
More than 8 players does become a bit crouded in a single airfield game but a two airfield game I find works well up to the maximum amount of player (discounting lag).

Stike games I find are the type that needs the most restriction and management . To get a good fair bombing game you need to make sure the teams are balenced. We also very often use strike maps for Team dogfights with alternate scoring, so the host needs to make sure nobody has bombs and rockets and that nobody goes kamikazi on the bunkers , all which ruin the score for the game. On occasion if I find someone on my team is attacking the enemy bunkers I am forced to team kill them to keep the score correct.
Point taken and I correct myself. Yes that number is fine with two airfields but not quite for a single airfield. More than 8 players in CTA game on single airfield is crowded indeed.

What I meant about the strike mode is the fact that everybody understands the goal (destroying the targets and preventing opponent in doing the same thing). If someone chooses improper tool to do it, well, his or her mistake In unlikely scenario, suppose team A chooses one B17 and few rocket equipped fighters (or Bf-109G6 for that matter), while the other team (B) chooses all B17 . Then as the game goes one team A with superior fighter flying skills manages to take down every B17 and does that every time after respawn and before they reach their targets, while the single B17 from team A keeps doing its job, what do you think which team tickets will go to zero first? And in that sense I find the strike games as the least restrictive.

This only applies to “spontaneous” or random online gathering. With organized “historic” missions the situation is totally different.

And yes, that is why the good host should spell out the rules and if everyone agrees then the game should be fun to play.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

Default Bombs@Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysocks View Post
am i to take it that you guys on ps3 dont use bombs or rockets while playing cta? its strafe and strafe only??
No we(honorable ps3 pilots) don`t use bombs or rockets in anything but strike.That is unless you bring a IL to my match.I personally will jump in my P-51w/rockets and single out the tank flyin bugger.And show him that he is vulnerable to attack and destruction.Ask anyone who has flown with me.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman91101 View Post
No we(honorable ps3 pilots) don`t use bombs or rockets in anything but strike.That is unless you bring a IL to my match.I personally will jump in my P-51w/rockets and single out the tank flyin bugger.And show him that he is vulnerable to attack and destruction.Ask anyone who has flown with me.
Amen rat
Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yo bobby. Rat 's talking realistic here. I feel deep pleasure in doing rockets in cta's. The D5 is great in delivering.
And sometimes I even think about being a gentleman
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
McQ is correct with his post Bobby in realistc, arcade you can do nothing but which imo is boring on a single airfield CTA

im with the rat ......... i will jump in aircraft that carries rockets if an aircraft with a tail gunner is brought to the table or a G6, fav bomber killer
Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Approved Member

i agree bombs do make the game way too frustrating because its too easy to kill the ac that is landing. rockets arent that accurate so i wouldnt have a problem using them or having them used on me. on xbox it seems just about anything goes. i would have no problem either way as long as i know the rules before hand.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysocks View Post
i agree bombs do make the game way too frustrating because its too easy to kill the ac that is landing. rockets arent that accurate so i wouldnt have a problem using them or having them used on me. on xbox it seems just about anything goes. i would have no problem either way as long as i know the rules before hand.
I bet these guys are using unlimited ammo. Which also means fighters carpet bombing to infinity, so I can understand why you would want a no bombs/rockets game.

Bombs and rockets are fine when on unlimited ammo though which is what we use almost every game. As you only get one or two bomb drops the skill is knowing when to use them, I try to save them until I really need to take out a plane urgently, otherwise I strafe landed planes

Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
I bet these guys are using unlimited ammo. Which also means fighters carpet bombing to infinity, so I can understand why you would want a no bombs/rockets game.

Bombs and rockets are fine when on unlimited ammo though which is what we use almost every game. As you only get one or two bomb drops the skill is knowing when to use them, I try to save them until I really need to take out a plane urgently, otherwise I strafe landed planes

pope, is that a typo?? do you mean limited?? that would be ok to try. i am usually the one trying to land and getting bombed into oblivion over and over and over again. limited ammo or no heavy ordnance would be interesting for a change.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Approved Member

Doh, Yes limited, sorry.