Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 AM
Approved Member

None of the above .. but one can dream. With my eye sight, they wouldn't let me on the base!

An addiction to WWII "Commando" comics as a kid got me into WWII combat flying!

He111.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

Category 1 for me... 390 hours in single engine props and gliders... The only types I've got stick time on that are anywhere close to these planes are the Tiger Moth, Yak-52 and SK-60...
Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Approved Member

1 & 2 for me...I am an aeronautical engineer (avionics mainly), 3500H, and flight instructor (gliders/airplanes). I am inactive for the time being due to workload, but not for very long anymore...too frustrated!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS61 View Post
Hi i've got about 4000 parachute jumps.
And 2000 glider flights with just over 900 hours to my name.
Further more i own a fourth of a twin astir and half a pik20D.
Greetz.
I have two parachute jumps under my belt...never again . When does "I'm going to die" feeling go away? lol

As a teen, I got lots of rides in various private aircraft. I hung around the local airport and ran errands for or gave lifts to private pilots who flew in. Most were more than happy to take me up and let me have some stick time as payment. The best ride back then was a two seat Pitts Special....deliriously disorienting.

As I got older and got some money, I started taking paid rides in WWII aircraft. My favorites were the two seat P-51 and the AT-6 Texan. I actually got to fly through some aerobatics in the Texan.

A fairly recent business partner had a Bellanca Super Viking that was capable of some fun maneuvers. Pretty hot plane for a run of the mill private craft. of course, I hit every airshow I can, especially if WWII aircraft are involved. Anyone visiting the DC area should go to both the Smithsonian in Washington, DC and (even better) the annex out by Dulles Airport.

Other than that, it has been simulators. When the owners of the real craft find out I fly simulators, they take it as their personal responsibility to make me air sick lol. Since I don't get air sick, that leads to some fun rides.

I haven't given up the dream of getting my PPL. Some day I hope to have the time and free money to do so. Of course, I'm going to need my own plane too. I figure 350K USD should do it....

Splitter
Old 09-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Sternjaeger

I am sometimes working as payload for some old planes..

SJ
Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Approved Member

S!

SJ, that Pony ride must have been great Well, both rides as not many of us get the chance..I think my greatest ride was in the backseat of the F/A-18D..
Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

3000 hours so far cat 3
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Sternjaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker35M View Post
S!

SJ, that Pony ride must have been great Well, both rides as not many of us get the chance..I think my greatest ride was in the backseat of the F/A-18D..
yep, it was quite... intense! The noise, the smell.. but above all it put all the sim flying under a completely new perspective. I have been flying microlights and Tiger Moths for several years, but when I had a go with the Mustang it was mind boggling: it goes from the smoothest aeroplane ever to hard aerobatics in a jiffy! A couple of loops at 5.7 Gs were enough to wear me out.. we did barrel rolls, tonneaux, cuban eights and loops, and boy was I sweaty in the end!! Then I thought about doing all that while someone is shooting at you... those brave guys really had to cope with LOADS of stress!!
Flying the T-6 was a real pleasure! Once trimmed it's rock solid and a joy to fly around.

I'd love a go in a jet though! One of my best mates has been assigned to Eurofighters, that'd be quite a flight

A.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
I have two parachute jumps under my belt...never again . When does "I'm going to die" feeling go away? lol......

Splitter
We skydivers used to say: Do you remember the times when sex was save and skydiving dangerous? ;-D

Last edited by robtek; 09-20-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Approved Member

Well, a couples of times a year i fly with my father aboard piper pa12, almost category 1
And my best memories are from last year at electromechanical tech secondary school, we worked on III air force base, i was assigned at hydraulics, they let us put our hands directly on the airplanes after a few weeks. Was at category 4 =D
This was the plane, IA-58 "pucará" (indian fortress):