Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Approved Member

i5 vs i7 and HT (hyperthreading) or not HT.
I'm no expert but have read that games do not utilize HT...yet.
But also read that this is a misconseption.
If u just gonna game then perhaps check into it to save some bucks.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

There are many options out there, but really the real two key areas are a fast quad (or more) core and a card with 2GB vram or more.

2GB Vram is going to quickly be the standard if it's not already. This game, The Witcher 2 and Crysis 2 with the high resolution texture pack all require immense amounts of vram at their highest settings.
I can't run any of these games well (at 1900x1200) with texture detail set to highest. They all lag.

So whatever you do, try buy a card with 2GB+ of vram.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
Thanks guys for coming back so quick. You were all very helpful. I really wasn't expecting any yet 3 replies in 15 mins so thanks for that. I was inclined to go for the i7 and mobo first by I thought that buying a cheap Amd six core would help tun games like Arma better and I could keep my original mobo and psu. But hey I do think getting an i7 is the way to go as far as gaming is concerned. Thanks.

AdamB
best thing to do, is to get onto the various game forums and see which are having problems with what hardware and also the sites which exist soley for hardware, such as Extreme Systems or Guru3d and formulate your path from there.
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.