Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F19_Klunk View Post
That's fine and all Klunk but you need to change your guesstimate from 2-3 weeks to indefinitely (2 weeks be sure) if you want to be 100% right.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Approved Member

lol..true.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO101_MMaister View Post
I just want to add, that what made the 109`s take off and landing characteristic really bad was not only the fact that it had a narrow landing gear setup, but in the same time the struts and the wheels pointed outwards. Because of this the pilot had a very narrow margin to make fails. The slightest out of horizontal plane during take off and landing resulted a violent break out to the sides.

The spit had similar wheel distance but it had parallel landing struts, and that made it much more forgiving.
Could you please explain why the slightly outward layout of the landing gear would have caused such a behaviour? This does not correspond to my understanding of mechanics which says that the outward layout would have made it more stable around the roll axis with out of plane movements because it in fact increased the lever with respect to the roll axis. So a 109 landing on one of its front wheels would have fallen easier back on both legs than a plane like the Spit.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Stormcrow View Post
Could you please explain why the slightly outward layout of the landing gear would have caused such a behaviour? This does not correspond to my understanding of mechanics which says that the outward layout would have made it more stable around the roll axis with out of plane movements because it in fact increased the lever with respect to the roll axis. So a 109 landing on one of its front wheels would have fallen easier back on both legs than a plane like the Spit.
Well it would seem to me that if one wheel touches before the other, its 'toe out' would pull it in that direction before the other wheel touched and bit.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Approved Member

Default Updates!

<Rant>
I don't mean to use bad language (Wings Of Prey) but I would HAPPILY take some incremental updates.
Until you read the forums you would think that Cliffs of Dover had been abandoned.

At least with (pardon the French) Wings Of Prey, every second time I start the thing "Hey New Update!"

With CoD - 7 MONTHS since the last update. Even the old IL2 is on a faster update schedule.

My rig should run CoD, but it's a slide show.

<repeat> Bang head on wall</repeat>

RELEASE ! RELEASE ! RELEASE !

</Rant>

<sigh> at least the new IL2 4.11 is nice.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decay View Post
<Rant>
I don't mean to use bad language (Wings Of Prey) but I would HAPPILY take some incremental updates.
Until you read the forums you would think that Cliffs of Dover had been abandoned.

At least with (pardon the French) Wings Of Prey, every second time I start the thing "Hey New Update!"

With CoD - 7 MONTHS since the last update. Even the old IL2 is on a faster update schedule.
Surprisingly I have to agree. My thinking is they could not release frequent patches because they hired a new graphics developer who had to spend several months learning the code and only then rewriting it. It is reasonable that they could not release anything within those months because the game was essentially in a completely disassembled state. Now when the major rewrite is hopefully done I suggest we persuade Luthier to target for monthly official patches with more frequent betas. This is 100% realistic and very efficient for the development team as well because allows to receive quick feedback and avoid wasting time. E.g. BIS which is a small team too issues ARMA2 beta builds sometimes every 3 days (see dates) http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisp...-PATCH-TESTING (BTW working with the community issue tracker on everyday basis https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/CIT)

decay mentioned another small dev team which does the same, issuing weekly betas, hot-fixes to patches at 23.30 on Friday nights and then posting support forum messages at 04.00 in the morning.

Ilya, now when engine rewrite nightmare is mostly over, your team can do this. There are too many issues community waited to be fixed for too much time. Frankly speaking it took too long already unfortunately. Without priority bugs fixed first in CloD, sales of the sequel will be less than 10% of CloD sales. http://www.il2bugtracker.com/project...ues?query_id=1

On the other hand with weekly betas and monthly patches sequel sales can be high even if 2 publishers push its release too early when it is only 80% finished. This would allow you to keep the team within 1C and work on the next project. CloD sales were not as bad as critics reviews because credibility in community was high. Now credibility can be rebuild only with actual product support, not only Friday pictures unfortunately. We can not expect community to be prepared waiting 14-18 (or more?) months after the sequel release again for priority bugs to be fixed. Not possible any more as community has changed.

CloD is a great, outstanding and unmatched product but unfortunately bugs and missing standard features are also great and outstanding ATM yet.

@ all: When Luthier posts the patch could you please copy this message to the patch thread if I am not around.

Last edited by Ataros; 04-21-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Ataros;412638]Surprisingly I have to agree. My thinking is they could not release frequent patches because they hired a new graphics developer who had to spend several months learning the code and only then rewriting it. It is reasonable that they could not release anything within those months because the game was essentially in a completely disassembled state. Now when the major rewrite is hopefully done I suggest we persuade Luthier to target for monthly official patches with more frequent betas. ............QUOTE]

If the Graphics rewrite is still in an unresolved state after a few more days it would be much better for us if unrelated changes like FMs etc, could be released now. I haven't run out of patience but if significant changes that don't affect, or won't be affected by, the graphics changes are able to be released I think they should be.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders