Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades

Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades A new chapter in the Real Warfare realistic real-time strategy games series.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Hi guys! I like medieval, those canons and pistols are not honorable for me Though right now archery reminds me now effectiveness of early gun powder, pointless at long range, instant kill at close
I havent seen yet suggestion to be able to improve an armor of units, kind of how TW Medieval 2 had - peasants - irregulars could have ring armor for example, at least some leather or clothing better though I don't like plate for that period to have for best units. Perhaps at least + 1 armor value for every units could be upgradable. What you think? I like Real warfare 2, especially tactic value which has been lost in TW, also I like that paper-scissor-rock formula is not that much strong as most of rts of today have. Only one big problem I have now is stability, too often "error message". I hope next patch will help with that.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSKTemplar View Post
I havent seen yet suggestion to be able to improve an armor of units, kind of how TW Medieval 2 had - peasants - irregulars could have ring armor for example, at least some leather or clothing better though I don't like plate for that period to have for best units. Perhaps at least + 1 armor value for every units could be upgradable. What you think?
I had similar thoughts but when I checked the scripts and game mechanic I lost any hope for changes. The armor is a very basic stat for the game's design. It not only stands for protection but is linked with many other things like hiring cost, level/training, army composition, etc. Many scripts and probably even main code would has to be changed to get something so simple like armor upgrade.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I see, well it was just suggestion, perhaps something else then what might prolong survivability of "veteran" (I mean trained or upgraded through battle experience) units even though irregulars could be implemented.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Approved Member

For armor is better create improved version of unit, don't you think? A irregular with armour is not too much irregular. Also leather armour was not so little expensive at that time. Take present the balance of unit (especially for multi) has been very accurate so cost, upgrade and numbers of a group are in strict rapport with those of other units. Usually they test very long a new battle mechanic or unit before release it for avoid to create unbalance in the battle.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

I haven't been criticizing mechanic, I understand it, I like it that unlike TW series where player could have had an entire army consisting from epic units unlike it was in history rw gives us "reality", I was just suggesting what I would like to see to have ability somehow to extend survivability of units, if not armor then for example "advanced training" giving them some bonus for defence. I would like to have even irregulars to survive bigger battles, as a reason I understand that experience was usually better skill than better gear. Right now my hero is lvl 16 I guess and he can have 10 irregular units but only one knight, so I would like to have those irregulars to be able to survive those armies which I am fighting where I do not see any irregulars, usually sergeant and elite class. That is all for me to explain why I was thinking about that. If I cant have most of my army same lvl than at least I would like to have something else to counter that (besides tactic) (and mangolel especially )
Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Approved Member

Moral upgrade and weapons abilities; a commander in the army; with the adeguate upgrade value, irregulars can compete whith foot knights. Of course they receives more losses but they are more and this balance the losses. Quality has the advantage in short time, but the fatigue effect works well contrary to STW2, so if they can maintain their moral high at the end the "numbers speaks".
Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

True for melee, I was thinking about better survival of irregulars against archery, better moral means even more losses (they fight almost to the end) but they will not reach archers. Because of this I had to made my foot knights the most expensive cavalry plus all sergeants units are cavalry too to kill those archers. It is interesting that irregulars in round formation can withstand heavy cavalry charge nicely. Against horse archers I can not use my cavalry (too expensive to replenish), so my irregulars x-bows are only (quite good) counter against them.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Approved Member

This is part of balance; if irregulars was resistent to arrows like more expensive infantry this will be a unbalance the game, of course you mean let me purchase the armour as upgrade, but at this point is not better take directly the militia swordmen? I did frequently armies like you describe powerful cavalry and mass of irregulars infantry. Usually the best tactics is (assuming you has the cavalry superiority) use your infantry as target (set it in open mode) and hit his arrows with your arrows. At the end it will be forced to make a choice between it infantry or your arrows. At the end your infantry is so big in number that he cannot make too hard damage if your shooters press his ones.

I can assure you a big mass of irregulars on three lines in compact formation with a general in the middle is very hard to defeat if you has not a strong superiority in shooters.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra View Post
This is part of balance; if irregulars was resistent to arrows like more expensive infantry this will be a unbalance the game, of course you mean let me purchase the armour as upgrade, but at this point is not better take directly the militia swordmen? I did frequently armies like you describe powerful cavalry and mass of irregulars infantry. Usually the best tactics is (assuming you has the cavalry superiority) use your infantry as target (set it in open mode) and hit his arrows with your arrows. At the end it will be forced to make a choice between it infantry or your arrows. At the end your infantry is so big in number that he cannot make too hard damage if your shooters press his ones.

I can assure you a big mass of irregulars on three lines in compact formation with a general in the middle is very hard to defeat if you has not a strong superiority in shooters.
The cavalry part, it's a bit difficult. Depending on enemy army, they have a great superiority with Horse archers. I really think they hit way too much, I mean horse archers can barely miss. Neither Crossbows nor archers would in most situations get time enough to destroy enemy horse archers. For example, the mongol forces does only consist of cavalry. Half of that cavalry is usually melee, half horse archery. My army is for now consisting of some knights (mounted), many pikemen, many good Xbows, and really good infantry overall. However, I cant beat any mongolian force...

The thing is that, when they charge my infantry, I only have once choice; putting them in circle formation (Schiltron). When doing that, they can easily defend themselves against the enemy melee cavalry, but with about 750 horse archers (In an average mongol army) behind them, they bombard my formations and kill them within a matter of minutes. If charging with my cavalry to chase away those horse archers, my cavalry simply dies. My archery cant hit half as much as the enemy horse archers, and they reload way slower. There is basically no chance of defeating a mongolian army unless you have tons of archers and pikemen, plus a very good position (preferably a hill)
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Approved Member

Yes mongols are hard but is not easy to use for a human over all the the grounds, usually the good choice is to place yourself over high ground, external ring of armoured troops, internal of bowmen, pike behind bowmen, and use the cavalry for feint attacks for force them to don' shoot from statis position (shoot in movement has penalty) . If you has sufficient cavalry you can try a anvil hammer tactics using your infantry as anvil.