Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades

Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades A new chapter in the Real Warfare realistic real-time strategy games series.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Default Something i Just noticed

Even though my troops are walking in the middle of a forest, on the Ground tab of stats and info of unit selected it says field, it should say forest and give you like -2 arrow damage or something.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Approved Member

the ground parameter indicate only the ground type for movement penalties, the forests or fortifications are not directly linked to ground where they are placed. Anyway a additional parameter ad hoc is a good idea.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Wizard View Post
It's personal taste but imo XVIII/XIX is not a good time frame. It's 90% about guns and shooting which is really boring (as E:TW and N:TW were).
Life is nice because you get many flavours...curious that I find so boring medieval warfare. Little chance to disengage, no cannons...just ugly blob melee.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desaix View Post
...medieval warfare. Little chance to disengage, no cannons...just ugly blob melee.
Unfortunately, you are right . Blobs are a big disadvantage. I don't remember any game that takes into account a unit's cohesion. That's why army maneuvering was so hard - units didn't went through each other (or rarely did - mainly when they were running away). Units' order and cohesion were priorities. If I was one of the devs I would give a big penalty to such a units (much bigger than loose formation penalty and instruct the AI to avoid those situations. That penalty should lasts about 10-15 sec after units crossed each other. It could greatly reduce the blob effect, give the game more realism and make the battles much more tactical.

Last edited by Goblin Wizard; 12-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

There ares penalties both a group level than soldier level; remember than you must compress unit ranks to dense for avoid penetration and move them in slow mode for avoid ranks separate for ground effects. Like in real battle blobs can happen but the winner is always the general which mantain the troops under the better and strict control.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra View Post
There ares penalties both a group level than soldier level
I don't really understand. Could you explain this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitra View Post
remember than you must compress unit ranks to dense for avoid penetration
Do you mean enemy penetration or friendly?

btw Do pikemen get bonus for additional rows while fighting with spears and in formation (like in MTW)?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

If your group is perforated you receive the same penalties of rear attack; the single soldier attacked from direction where the weapons cannot defend him can be hit easily. So a dense formation will have alwasy a big advantage over a loose one.

btw Do pikemen get bonus for additional rows while fighting with spears and in formation (like in MTW)

Pike have a mininum range from the enemy for be use but can be used also a certain number of rear ranks. Over this maximum number of ranks, the supplementary ranks have the sense of create group mass against perforation. A wide unit can easily attack on the flanks but can be perforated easily, a deep formation can be attacked on the flanks but not easily perforated.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

Default Blobs

Talking about blobs, In my opinion, this game closely resembles the way medieval warfare was waged, there was no 1 man versus 5 nor any of that bull++it.

It was about discipline and cohesion of the troops, units following their commanders, and the first who broke was the looser.

It was about keeping the foormation in line, and the actual violence just lasted for few hours (of course in this game last minutes, if not an actual battle would last 12 hours), and the main killing was in the retreat of one side.

It was about planning, but also the initiative (the thing I love most of this game) of the commander of the unit, becaise the General (or the knight in command) was itself taking part in the violence.

All in all, this is a very good game, WITH VAST POTENTIAL and with its dedicated staff and support members (thats you mitra) it may go a looong way.

I would suggest the following:
1) To change the animations of the cavalry charge. Instead of going in circles, after crashing with the unit with their lances for half an hour, they should charge, collide, because of the momentum, push 4 or 5 men (in the case of heavy footmen, 1 or 2) and stop and attack with their swords.

I dont know if its possible, but in my opinion, its the best aproach to the situation.

2) It should be included in the unit stats in the battlefield a tab for type of terrain they are.
Example: Unit is in an open field +1 arrow damage
Unit is in light forest -1 arrow damage
Unit is in a dense forest -2 arrow damage

See where im getting at?

3) Fix the pathfinding routes for soldiers in siegebattles.
Its very difficult to put a crossbowmen unit in the walls without having 10 men of the unit still down on the ground because they are hugging the wall instead of finding the door to get up with the rest of the unit.
This means pathfinding problems. It should be looked at.

I think this is good for now, the game has a very steep learning curve, but after you get how it rolls, its easy and fun.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Approved Member

thanks

For all the suggestions please, a part write here, send a email here rw2box(at)hotmail.it , is difficult collect them all over the various forums, and Unicorn needs to have some pro-memoria in their archive, so a email is the better.

PLease also, do the more possible adv for the game in the communities which you usually visit and where the players can be interested. This help greatly the game and Unicorn
Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Approved Member

yeh, I've noticed the AI attacking uphill with multiple units - swords and pike intermingling, destroying one of my defending units. This didn't look right or make sense.

but i will send this concern to the email address.

but let us not forget, Roman legions were designed as individual soldiers, happy to fight in formation or out. Romans realised battles start in formations but end in a mess!

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
========================================