Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fulqrum PublishingGames > A Farewell to dragons

A Farewell to dragons A Farewell to Dragons is a classic Action/RPG that takes place in the universe based on the fantasy book written by famous Russian writers Sergey Lukyanenko and Nikolay Perumov.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Default do characters speak?

in another thread (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...t=11038&page=2) i read somethin about characters voices n stuff, but i cant figure it out...

i have sound but never heard anyone say anything, cept for the intro.

so lets get this straight.. are characters supposed to speak in the game?

and if they are.. is there a way to fix it?

i downloaded somethin (afarewelltodragonsarchives.zip) i found in that thread i mentioned but dont know whats it supposed to do. if i start the .exe, a small dos-like window pops up and closes instantly.

besides: surround-sound is deactivated

EDIT:
oh and i wonder whats goin on with attack speed.. no matter which weapon i use (very slow or normal), the attack speed seems to be all the same. and now, for some reason, the status "speed" in the stats window changed to slow instead of normal.. but i still see no difference. could anyone give me some intel regarding this matter?!

EDIT2: okay the reason y my speed status went to low is cuz i carried too many items, so forget about that. however im still wondering how exactly attack speed is affected by the weapons you choose. i also realized, if i put enough points into agility the speed status will change to "fast", no matter which weapon im using^^

Last edited by blabla; 02-16-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabla View Post
so lets get this straight.. are characters supposed to speak in the game?
check post 29 of the thread you mentioned.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

well i assume that means they should speak^^ when i first read that, i wasnt sure.. in nwn1 characters also have voices but they dont speak anyway. couldve been the same.. just a few comments now and then.

so is there anything i can do about it, other than turning off surround-sound? already did that but it doesnt help.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabla View Post
well i assume that means they should speak^^ when i first read that, i wasnt sure.. in nwn1 characters also have voices but they dont speak anyway. couldve been the same.. just a few comments now and then.

so is there anything i can do about it, other than turning off surround-sound? already did that but it doesnt help.
Old, but this board is about dead anyways, so let me say me too.

I've got surround off and hear fx and stuff, but no voices. I'm still in the first part though, 1st map. Some chars seem to whistle and things every now and then, or at least I assume that it's one of the people in my party that does it, but no voice... I haven't really used any spells or anything yet, so I've no idea if that does anything else.

i.e. I'm wondering exactly how much is SUPPOSED to be voiced, e.g. is it like many games where only a few key dialogs are voiced or maybe just some comments now and then from chars? Or is there supposed to be a GREAT deal of voice?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I got a "I should not have underestimated" or something when killing the Ravens who attacked Rana in the inn. I haven't really noticed anything else - so I can't tell if it's working or not. I don't think I've ever heard the party members speak, it's all just been floating text above them.

Are we supposed to hear them? I run the first two maps with both Surround Sound off and with Surround Sound on, and I don't think I noticed a difference. Talle still "hiyah"'d or something when casting spells while on Lake.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJeff View Post
I got a "I should not have underestimated" or something when killing the Ravens who attacked Rana in the inn. I haven't really noticed anything else - so I can't tell if it's working or not. I don't think I've ever heard the party members speak, it's all just been floating text above them.

Are we supposed to hear them? I run the first two maps with both Surround Sound off and with Surround Sound on, and I don't think I noticed a difference. Talle still "hiyah"'d or something when casting spells while on Lake.
If you go to the thread linked about and continue on to the end, it kind of sounds like we should have more voices but those people also had problems, apparently, with generic sound fx as well which we appear to not be having.

Probably no voicing I guess except for cut-scenes or small key portions. I missed the voice at the inn or didn't notice it. I've seen more NPCs with text floating above their heads now too... Really noticed it in Meadows, which is where I stopped playing a few days ago, most of the way from the train to the town. Kind of strange that the game's so large with almost no voice, but I guess that it's supposed to be pretty large/long.

(Probably going to pick up Star Wolves 3(another poor translation, I gather from the forum, but more moddable that this, sadly) in the Steam sale, and King's Bounty: The Legend(have Armored Princess(good trans), but heard this is bigger plus it's like $3 anyways), so I'll probably start playing those -- maybe Space Rangers 1 too(have SR2 Reboot already too pretty good translation and a good game).)
Old 07-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

I've had SR2 for a while, I did like it, especially with the text-adventure sections, hah.

Hm, I do notice some in-combat chatter, and when Rada's health fell she did say something in German, just like that thread mentioned. I haven't had any "idle" chatter that I've noticed though. Such a shame nobody can tell us for certain precisely what speech we should hear so we can tell if it's working or not.

...such a shame it doesn't work perfectly too!
Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJeff View Post
I've had SR2 for a while, I did like it, especially with the text-adventure sections, hah.

Hm, I do notice some in-combat chatter, and when Rada's health fell she did say something in German, just like that thread mentioned. I haven't had any "idle" chatter that I've noticed though. Such a shame nobody can tell us for certain precisely what speech we should hear so we can tell if it's working or not.

...such a shame it doesn't work perfectly too!
Yeah, I played a bit more tonight got my main char to L7 (IIRC), Outskirter & Rada to L8 and Telle to L6.

One of them said something or other(voiced) at some point either when fighting the panthers or in the main town area of Meadows, but I couldn't make it out, it was very faint at my current sound volume.

They definitely don't appear to say anything when using skills/spells as I've been experimenting more with them now that er... Vince? has some water mage spells and I have Telle back. (Building Outskirter and Rada mainly as meleers, and Telle and Vince as mages ATM...)

Should make up a list of the quests some day, had the engineer quest, panther skin quest, deliver note, dagger, and Horsk quest so far. Finished all but dagger as I don't want to move to Horsk yet as most of Meadows is still black for me and there's still xp to be had there...

[EDIT]
Back to other games for a moment, I wonder why Steam doesn't have Planet Alcatraz? Drug content maybe? Which is too bad as it'd undoubtedly be on sale as well, and I'd get it for the sale price, but not what it goes for from gamersgate. (gg had a sale a few weeks back, but it wasn't very good.)

The SR2 text adventure bits are pretty easy. They're mostly old logic puzzle types for the most part and one that I've that is like a souped up Hammurabi... The Hammurabi ones seem to take up too much time though...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn; 07-03-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn View Post
Yeah, I played a bit more tonight got my main char to L7 (IIRC), Outskirter & Rada to L8 and Telle to L6.

<snip>

They definitely don't appear to say anything when using skills/spells as I've been experimenting more with them now that er... Vince? has some water mage spells and I have Telle back. (Building Outskirter and Rada mainly as meleers, and Telle and Vince as mages ATM...)
My Victor is a machine gunner, with magic as addendum. Actually, I held back on magic until Fireball so he has an AoE. Also Ice Prison, which is the AoE freeze.

You eventually pick up a dwarf (2nd machine gunner!) as well, and both of them are in Overalls.

I'm at 14 now, with the dwarf at 13 and with Telle at level 11 only as she keeps disappearing and reappearing. Just picked up my 6th member, a Cat tribe lady who's level 15 and built for daggers and light armor. (Much like Rada, she only has one weapon and one armor skill. They both have bow skill but eh, didn't train'em.)

So it looks like my having the Outdude be a bow/heavy armor user was a good idea.

Currently:
Victor - Machine Gun, Steamwork Armor, AoE Spells
Rada - Swords, Medium Armor
Outskirter - Bow, Heavy Armor
Torry (Dwarf) - Machine Gun, Steamwork Armor, Grenades
Loy (Cat tribe) - Daggers, Light Armor
Telle - Magic, Robes
Old 07-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

move onto a new thread since this was supposed to be about voice... I'll go make one, should be at the top as we're the only posting in here recently... feels kind of spooky...