Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Approved Member

Default Hopefully SOW favors nvidia...

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...illion-crysis/
Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Approved Member

I doubt it.

Crysis is a mainstream-game and has much higher sales-numbers than most (any?) flightsim. The sum might sound large, but it's just a marketing campaign to implement the nVidia-logo in the startup and you bet that many people will buy an nVidia-Card, because they think it means that Crysis will run better, just because there is a different label on the box of the graphics card.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Approved Member

I hope SOW doesn't favor any HW brand or make in particular, we should be able to choose freely. The market's already duopolized anyway.

The fact that Il2 runs better on nVidia (in general) is due to the choice of API (yes, yes, it uses both DX and OGL, but no one in their right mind uses DX in Il2) and better OGL support on the side of nVidia. Since SOW will be DX only (AFAIK) I expect we'll see the cards offering better performance in DX11 performing better in SOW.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Approved Member

S!

I really doubt it. IL-2 favored nVidia but now works with ATI as well, thanks to the AMD driver team and the IL2 community. IL2 is OpenGL(old OGL version mind you), SoW will be using DirectX API. Will SoW use PhysX or tesselation? I strongly doubt PhysX and tesselation..where do you need those gimmicks? I see no sensible reason to use that green logo nor optimize for it..both AMD and nVidia run any DX 11 game with very good performance.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_Tigar View Post
I hope SOW doesn't favor any HW brand or make in particular, we should be able to choose freely. The market's already duopolized anyway.
+1
Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
I doubt it.

Crysis is a mainstream-game and has much higher sales-numbers than most (any?) flightsim. The sum might sound large, but it's just a marketing campaign to implement the nVidia-logo in the startup and you bet that many people will buy an nVidia-Card, because they think it means that Crysis will run better, just because there is a different label on the box of the graphics card.
Actually the point was: If you want to play Crysis2 - you'll have to get an Nvidia.
If you want to play Sow and Crysis, see above.

Maybe I should have I written: if SOW favors, then I hope it's...

The (ex ATI) Radeon driver team is joke, I doubt they take anyone from the IL community for serious, otherwise, how could you explain they FU the game with every new driver release?
They also stole 5 days of my life I had to spend to sort out system errors caused by their CCC upgrade.
Thanks guys, awsome job!
Never again.
(Ok, I just bought a 4350 for my HTPC, that's a different purpose though)

Btw: Can you can see where where those two are taking the fight?
If that pays out for NV (ATI lost with Dirt2), you can expect any major release to favor one card only.
Eventually they turn into publisher.

Last edited by swiss; 09-14-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Actually the point was: If you want to play Crysis2 - you'll have to get an Nvidia.
No, it is not. It's what nVidia would like to tell you.

As the article says, Crysis2 will be optimized for nVidia and support PhysX, but that doesn't mean it won't run on ATI/AMD-cards. Actually PhysX also runs on ATI/AMD-cards, with no noteable performance-loss - well, it official ran, until nVidia decided to include a blocking routine that deactivated PhysX as soon as an ATI/AMD-card was detected in the PC....

Needless to say, that was a futile attempt. A driver-patch is available on many sites on the internet.

But even if it wasn't, as it was stated here a lot of times: PhysX is used primarily for graphical effects. It's not rendering the fundamental physics-engine of the game. Even the money nVidia gave EA, it wouldn't be a compensation for the loss of potential sales - how many idiots would buy a 400$ nVidia-card for a 27$ game? LOL
Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Approved Member

For $2M they sure will try to disadvantage AMD cards.

In fact, this February I spent $170(260GTXoc) for a GPU just for IL2. The latter I got free because I downloaded it[Rem:got a real hardcopy by now].
It was on overkill for sure - but hey, I'll rather spend too much than spending less for a card which can't do the job(or any other).

If I buy a new card, which will be necessary for SOW, I want one of the best - and want it to run the latest/most popular/my choice games on "perfect" too.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_Tigar View Post

The fact that Il2 runs better on nVidia (in general) is due to the choice of API (yes, yes, it uses both DX and OGL, but no one in their right mind uses DX in Il2) and better OGL support on the side of nVidia. Since SOW will be DX only (AFAIK) I expect we'll see the cards offering better performance in DX11 performing better in SOW.
Absolutely, I have an ATI ( 5870 330€ )and I dont want to have a bad performance

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
For $2M they sure will try to disadvantage AMD cards.
Sometimes I wonder if you guys really don't watch what's going on in the world around you.

They'll just add the label and run a few extra-tests on nVidia-machines, while nVidia has the chance to optimize their drivers to the game. When it's released, nVidia by miracle shows higher FPS. Of course every nVidiot will cheer and don't realize that the small boost comes from slightly degraded textures at longer distances and some other deactivated filtering options. After a month the tide turn against nVidia again then back and forth over....

The exact same procedure as for every single release of a potential blockbuster-game. Just that this time it was in the summer and somebody didn't have anything else to write an article about.