Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto1960 View Post
I totally agree with you. I cannot accept a download for such high level product. I wish a CD and if possible a collector edition. Non a good job from UBI.
Totally agreed! The Steam contract one has to accept makes it possible that your pc can be spyed all the time and what ever you do for the game you bought can be stolen without compensation. Who needs this? And BTW I just cancelled my preorder.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

Cheerio then! Don't forget to post in the goodbye thread.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetette View Post
Totally agreed! The Steam contract one has to accept makes it possible that your pc can be spyed all the time and what ever you do for the game you bought can be stolen without compensation. Who needs this? And BTW I just cancelled my preorder.
Your reading comprehension is abysmal. It says any communications you make through the community can be used. That mostly is a legal issue thanks to stupid US politics and little to do with Valve actually giving 2 shits about what you say. I am equally sure that all IMs have a similar clause.

If by spy on you you mean they keep track of your purchases through their client, and the amount of time you play games then yes. Otherwise you are really blowing it out of proportion and being paranoid.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
Good thing there are people outside this community that bring people in to flight siming. I for one am part of another community that trains and introduces new people to flight sims. Just because we are younger and also enjoy FPSes doesn't mean we don't know anything about or aren't passionate about flight sims. Just because some one is older doesn't make them more valuable either. Everyone must move forward, and Steam WILL introduce flight sims to a whole new audience. Some of them will come for the graphics some will come because they see people on their friends list playing, and some will come because they (like I did) have that youth love of aviation and the magic of it.

I actually got into FPSes because of flight sims, and not vice versa. It's a genre that up until recently has been dieing because of the very insular nature of the flight sim community at large. We often discount new people's views and opinions and information, and quite frankly run off new blood. Perhaps, I hope I am incorrect here, losing some old timers might actually be good for the community. If we can't get past being willful and xenophobic the genre will die. Steam may put a new face on flight sims and open it up to a younger crowd without having to deal with some of the messiness that comes with trying to integrate into a very clique group that many of us flight simmers are part of.

My community of flight simmers put a fun and inviting face on il-2:1946, and with all the recent buzz for Cliffs of Dover we've brought in quite a decent number of new blood to the genre, and they are learning fast and enjoying it. They tell their friends and get them in so on and so forth. Just because it isn't the way we as simmer like to play doesn't make it wrong, and just because making it fun doesn't teach the historical aspect doesn't mean it won't evolve into that.
I'm with you more or less, i just think there needs to be a balance so that the influx of new players can pe properly "assimilated" into the community.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Tvrdi

I dont like Steam (for obvious reasons - I wouldnt post them here; no need to explain to some ignorants) but Im prepared to eat s*ite to be able to play my fav sim....
Old 03-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvrdi View Post
I dont like Steam (for obvious reasons - I wouldnt post them here; no need to explain to some ignorants) but Im prepared to eat s*ite to be able to play my fav sim....
Would you rather the DRM AC2 had? You know the one where you have to be continually logged on, and if anything interrupts your net connection, it shuts down and doesn't save you last couple hours of gameplay?

How about Bioshock? You get to install it three times. That it.
Mass Effect, you got five installs, and if you used them up, you had to call EA and explain yourself.

Mass Effect 2 you didn't even get the entire game unless you also had a valid code for their Cerberus Network, and it also required a persistent log-in.

How about Starforce? You remember the one that prevented you from booting a Win7 machine, at least until MS blocked it entirely?

What D2D? They encrypt the game data files with an encryption that increases load times by orders of magnitude.

Look, the world has changed since Il-2 came out. The conflicts between piracy and DRM have progressed far beyond just requiring a disk in the drive. Any current DRM is going to require some combination of persistent log in, limited installs, encrypted installs, or some combination there of. Steam is the only one I know of that does not require a persistent online connection without install capping you. Yes, it requires a one time account linkage, and all subsequent installs must reference that account online, but that's it.

It is literally the least invasive modern DRM system on the market today.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
It is literally the least invasive modern DRM system on the market today.
This.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

I am extremely worried about this situation.

An A380 plane crash looking for a place to happen.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

What, because you have to think of an account name and password, register them, and then activate the game once before clicking the Offline Mode button? Good luck finding a modern game published by a big publisher that isn't like that or worse.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Approved Member

Although we are actually being install limited.

''How many activations do I get?
You can indefinitely activate your copy of the game on the same PC. You start with three activations (so, three different PC hardware configurations) to begin with. After one month, one activation will be re-credited (up to a maximum of three available activations at any given time).''

How that ties in with the steam 'just use any computer with your steam details to log in' I have no idea.