Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Approved Member

I'm not quite sure how 1c defines their sequel contents. Is it some geographical area during certain months, a whole front (like east front in BoM case) during some time period or what?

If BoM is just a name, but it really means "east front from 6.1941 to 12.1942" then Fw-190 could be included.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Approved Member

Surely the Fw 190 will come in either the one after "BOM" or in a patch for "BOM"

Also look at the background...

And for those that say the Fw190 has been done to death..... what are you smoking the 109 has been done to death ten times more than the 190 ever has!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Approved Member

This forum software needs a +1 button
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
That makes no sense. Once they release the 44/45 stuff who is gonna wanna come back to 41?

Releasing the aircraft SDK would be financial suicide.
So by reading the first part of your reply, you actually agree with the point I am making? 44/45 is the 'popular' stuff where lots of interest and finances could be made from? The only reason that 41 wouldn't be revisited by players is because....it's not as popular as 44/45?

This makes me think that there is a little snobbery going on here, whereby the popular aircraft must not be released as who will play with us if they do that? Surely the popular aircraft are where the finances and revenue could be driven forward by 1C to create 'less' popular Theatres?

Releasing the Aircraft SDK would be financial brilliance! Surely? 3rd Party developer's make add-ons (like the Aces Expansion for IL2(although that was Maddox of-course)) and release them. 1C take a percentage of the revenue. If a pack is popular 1C make money, if not, they don't make a loss in development time, someone else does? Surely the more popular and attractive the Software looks to buy into, the more people will come aboard? Maybe the 190 vs 51 servers would be more popular..but that's because more people want to play on them rather than being 'forced' (uses term loosely) to fly aircraft they really don't want to because it's better that 1C only pander to the elite than the masses?

Feathered IV:

"Better to release aircraft chronologically. More exciting for each new release and each step in technology"

I'm really not disagreeing with anyone regarding what should be done and in what order, I'm merely making the point that 1C need to make money because if they don't then nothing will be developed? If the FW-190, P-51 and B-17 (I would like a P-47 and 109 in the mix too of-course) were brought into the series earlier, then these ARE popular. These would raise lots of revenue. With that revenue, you can guarantee further era's and theatre's of combat?

Playing Devil's Advocate, lets say the Russian Theatre of BoM is another troubled child. Again little revenue is raised, development stalls, no money comes in...will there be future development?

By bringing in the popular aircraft earlier, the money would come in (granted there would be issues and bugs to fix!).

I just don't see the validity of the argument that the earlier more 'elite' less popular aircraft need to be developed, as why should the aircraft that lots of (due to them being popular?) players would grab a chance to fly be given priority?

It seems like a case of "don't give the masses what they want as no-one will play with our early more difficult aircraft!"?

I know realistically it will make no difference as they will have a roadmap laid out (I hope), but I just wondered why, when money is the main driving incentive, 'popular' aircraft are not at the forefront of the development?

Krupi;

"A lot of people enjoy the "crap" planes"

and in fairness, why shouldn't they. It just seems odd that popular aircraft that would raise much needed revenue would be kept back in the hope of pleasing the few rather than the many?

Catseye:

"It would be interesting to see where most of their sales occur. Russia/Eastern Europe compared to Western Europe/North America.

Should it be that Eastern Europe have the largest edge here, it would seem that they are targeting that market with the next release for the best financial return."

Agreed, although we wont have access to the figures, it would be really interesting to see what percentage of Russians bought CloD and what percentage of the rest of the world will by BoM. I expect it would be much higher for BoM as all the CloD users want to play a working flight-sim, so the figures would be really skewed I feel.

Chivas:

"I seriously doubt they have the resources to build extra aircraft, especially at this critical time."

The only reason it's a critical time is because they obviously need to raise revenue....and wouldn't that happen with 'popular' aircraft and Theatres of war?

slm:

"Too bad. Because IMO Fw-190s, like P-51 models later, are those important planes that may get people to buy a sequel."

I agree but it seems popular Theatres and Aircraft are not the way to raise funds?

Alpha:

"P-51, B-17 and Fw-190

Cant think of anything more done to death and boring."

Done to death because they know it makes money and sells units?

slm:

"So if you could pick 2 planes from some era, which planes would get you to buy a game from 1c? If you think about the assumption of thread's title."

That is a very fair question too. The aircraft I mentioned in the thread title were an example of aircraft that would possibly raise large amounts of finances for 1C. For clarity if you disagree, I would appreciate hearing what aircraft you would consider 'MANY' players would buy? Please note I have to make the assumption that the graphics Engine, FM/DM and all the rest are working ( ) but how many units do you think the original CloD sold with all it's issues? So imagine how much revenue would be raised from 'popular' aircraft?

All I'm doing is asking the question of how 1C could raise funds quickly, as stated by Luthier, finances are the major driving factor now and they want to make money. Releasing a Lysander make look great...but would it make people rush to buy the sequel? (I used the Lysander as an example only of an aircraft that certainly played a part in WW2, but would it get the masses to invest or do we need the P-51/47/38/109/190 and other later aircraft so that 1C can drive their revenue stream forward and make sure development of the earlier theatres can take place?

I'm here for the long haul. There is no other Sim that I want to succeed as much as the CloD series, it's just that without a revenue stream....there may be no other Theatres at-all?

Cheers, MP
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Approved Member

The Mediterranean theatre complete with correct aircraft shipping ground units & maps would be the next step after BoM that makes sense.

Simply bunging 3 planes and a map at customers isn't going to do anything for the series.

IMHO

Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
The Mediterranean theatre complete with correct aircraft shipping ground units & maps would be the next step after BoM that makes sense.

Simply bunging 3 planes and a map at customers isn't going to do anything for the series.

IMHO

Hi Alpha. That's a fair point. I was actually using those aircraft as a point of reference as 'popular' aircraft. In all honesty I know I would enjoy the MTO with P-40's and 109's/190's tangling in the air (or Spits/Hurri's vx Axis).

I'm not expecting 3 aircraft to be crow-barred into any environment, but if BoM is in the snowy wastes of Russia, the P-51's/190's and B-17's (or US Bombers) could represent "Operation Frantic" for example, so the environment can be 'tweaked' to match any era.

Alternately, FSX and RoF have a theatre of Operations and add aircraft into it so it's down to the Mission Builders to make believable environments for the aircraft to be in? Not the aircraft...it isn't their fault

Cheers, MP
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Approved Member

Maps have always been used in a non historical manner to suit the needs of the mission builder and thier imagination.

Regardless of the aircraft types and time lines, some of the best missions I have created have been with historically mismatched aircraft.

Personally i was hoping for larger theatre maps for CooP missions but the current state of the CooP gui puts a grinding halt on my CloD mission building.

The limited theatre aircraft plane sets and maps don't spark the imagination much especially when you drop on top all the bomber bugs and other problems related to creating a believable environment.

I have made missions in FSX believe me its not funny.

As for RoF I had so many graphics glitches and FMB problems I left it alone after 3 weeks trying.

IL2 1946 had the quintessential CooP mode and GUI accompanied by a varied theatre of ops with released plane sets (Luthiers Pacific Fighters not included) IMHO, I voted for the Med along with Oleg
If the new series follows the doctrine the old series did it will naturally build into another behemoth of WW2 theatres and equipment as is IL2 1946.

Lets hope eh

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 10-05-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Approved Member

Salute

As much as I would like to see an 8th Air Force Simulation, the current game engine has proved incapable of handling large numbers of aircraft successfully.

1000 plane raids? No chance with this game. If it can't manage 300 planes over London, how is it going to deal with 1000 over Berlin?

On the other hand, if the proper attention to logic had been followed, we would have seen a Mediterranean map using most of the existing planes, no need to build a whole new environment, Malta 1940/ first half of '41 could have been done easily, after all, it's mostly water.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Approved Member

The eastern front is the best place to go from every point of view IMHO.

The devs will get more as it will always sell more in russia.

We need a map that will allow a good rolling online campaign to be created and again the eastern front gives this as well. I know some here couldn't careless about the eastern front but personally I am happy to see Il2 go back to its original roots, I just hope we don't loose the best bits from COD when we do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Approved Member

@Mysticpuma quote
"The only reason it's a critical time is because they obviously need to raise revenue....and wouldn't that happen with 'popular' aircraft and Theatres of war?"

Its a critical time.... because they have every crew member fixing the sim and adding content for the Sequel. They don't have the time or the personnel to start building aircraft for other theaters. Like I said I liked your idea, and expressed the same idea myself awhile ago, but only for very complex aircraft, like Lancasters, or B17's.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip