Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

Default 7-Zip 9.22 beta 64 bit and others

Patch instructions by senior member said DL 7-zip to open rar for latest patch. Google to several options all seem to be by Igor Pavel. I have DL for almost 24 hours..screen shows rotating green bar and "soft32". I have gone to panel to uninstall..there are no instructions, clicking "change" is no help. It does not offer any instructions or directions..just an open window with icon. I have not DL anything like this..BTW I am 75 so please explain problem or solution in easy terms. Is there an easier way to open rar in order to patch CoD? Many thanks in advance. John
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

Hi zahnartz62,

Forgive me if some of what I write is already clear to you.

I don't understand "Google to several options all seem to be by Igor Pavel"

anyway ....

Try http://www.7-zip.org/

This offers a 32 bit and 64bit program at the top in a box for rar files.

Select the version that is the same as your computer operating system.
XP mostly is 32bit [but can be 64 bit also]
Windows Vista is more likely to be 64 [but but can be 32 bit]
Windows 7 is most likely 64 bit

This 7-zip program should download quickly. It should not take very long.

Find it and install it onto your computer.

I assume you have downloaded the Cliffs of Dover patch to your computer also.

If needed, you can get the latest RC patch here http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/...tional-version

And this link is a step by step on installing the beta patch
http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/...f-beta-patches

Sadly I have had problems with the launcher not working so I wish you better luck

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Approved Member

The download finally stopped and control panel says it is complete..but the icon on the desk top to start the program, browse to the rar file, open it, and permit me to slide the patch into the proper folders was on my desktop but is no longer there!! I assumed the rar opener would be short to DL, easy to open, and self explanatory as are most free tools. So am unable to open the 7-zip and get to work! Usually I can blunder myself to the right answer but the sheer length of this download seemed unusual so I ask the group for advice. Thanks for your helpful answer.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

If I were you, I would scan for viruses or malware first & then follow Jokermans advice. The behavior you describe is typical of software downloaded from a website that offers well known free software packed with malware, viruses or adware.

I could be wrong, but its worth scanning just incase, The 7 Zip program is available at the website Jokerman posted and is 1MB in size, which means even on the slowest internet connection, it should only take a few minutes to download.

Like you say it should be quick and self explanatory and it is, so you might have downloaded something nasty. Desktop icons that disappear when you click them are never a good thing, better to be safe than sorry!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Approved Member

I redid jokermans suggestion DL 7-zip 9.20 (2011-11-1 ..tAKES ME TO LICENSE AGREEMENT iGOR pAVLOV WITH TWO SUBFOLDERS TOTAL 3325KB. Do I want subfolders on local hard drive or network?..I don't know what either means..except this is not the simple piece of software I need to open 1 rar folder for latest small COD patch. I was unable to delete either sunfolder. The file type is .msi. I tried another 7-zip DL buttone still .msi and hefty. Please advise...try the pathway yourself and see what I am puzzled about. Many thanks....John
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Hi John, definitely something not right for you.

For the record, I downloaded the 32 bit .exe version and the 64bit msi version from the link I first replied with. 1MB and 1.3MB respectively and fast with no licence or other requirements.

Slipstream called your first course of action. For what it's worth, I use Avast free version. Only because I personally use Avast do I mention it to you.

Likely you have your own anti virus solution and I encourage you seek advice if needed.

I highly recommend Slipstream's advice as your immediate course of action.

The 7-zip.org is legit and I am sure your problems are not related to that site.

All this sub-solder stuff sets off a red flag for me .

Run a full virus scan and see what you get.

Google malware and educate yourself. Stick to the better known anti-virus brands however. "Super Duper Awesome Free Malware Antivirus" advertisement from no name websites are to be treated with care. No such thing as a free dinner.

Good luck and let us know!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

I deleted all I DL and ran my Trend Titanium showing no malware. I am a bit confused..reading one site the Pavlov DL seems to be for those who will archive materials on a grand scale. All I want is to open the RAR DL patch and slip the contents into their folders. This is tedious and I appreciate your help. I printed out 6 pages or so of instructions for the last patch a week or so ago and all worked very well. The first page is 7z icon "7 zip file manager" selecting "Computer" from short list..does that point you to the correct 7 zip DL? I use Snag It and do not have the member's name who took time and trouble to post instructions for us. Next 7z page e:\ Downloads\Compressed\ etc. Thanks again for advice..I hope others are reading these threads whi may need this information.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Approved Member

John,

First of all find out which Windows version are you running: click on the Windows button (bottom left of screen) and in the box where you can enter a programme name type:
dxdiag
.... and hit enter. If it asks about checking for WHQL digital signatures just say no (it causes unnecessary delay for what we are doing). A panel opens and you should see:
Operating System: Windows...(and this states the version you are running)

Delete all your previous '7-zip' downloads. If you click on Windows... Computer (windows Vista or Windows 7) or if you go to the Desktop and open My Computer (Windows XP) you should see your Downloads folder. The downloads should be in there. Also see if anything else downloaded when you thought you were downloading 7-zip because some download sites fool you into clicking the wrong download button. Delete that too and check to see if that wrong programme uninstalling (you may have accidentally installed it thinking it was 7-zip.

OK now we should be clean.

Download the 32 or 64 bit version according to your operating system from Jokerman's link:
http://www.7-zip.org/

When downloaded all you need to do is double click on the filename and it will install. Just agree to any terms, conditions etc.

After that you should find you can right-click on the patch file (.zip or .rar) and the menu should list 7-zip. Left click on 7-zip, Left click on "Extract Files..." and then navigate to your game folder in the file panel that opens. Then Click OK and the patch should install to CoD.

Good luck

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Approved Member

I found the steamapps and slid BOB and parts in replacing earlier folders and sim says "20172" version. Mechanical solution rather than autoexe. My Spifire wants to stop engine but I give throttle..prop flickers, game stutters, but still best sim for me. I like the Ju87 and 110 so happy..one guy siad we need people like me to fly the "targets"! I am real fan of BoB history. RoF works so well in comparison and I have many history books about the RFC/RAF so a real treat. Thanks for the time you all took and I have printed out all the notes for my 3 ring. John